Ruger GP100 Match Champion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Striker3

Bearcat
Picked up a GP100 Match Champion in .357 magnum over the weekend. Took it to the range and found that, out of the box, it consistently shot about 4 inches high at 7 yards. I was able to adjust the rear sight to the point where it is now spot on, but to get there I had to tighten the rear sight down until it bottomed out on the frame. I talked to Ruger to see if they have a higher front sight for it, but they don't.

Another problem I had was the fit of the grip to the frame. At the top of the grip there is a significant gap (1/8 inch) between the grip and the frame. Not only is this unattractive, it stands to be a significant dirt collector over time. And on the lower side of the grip, where it mates up to the back of the trigger guard, the wood sticks down about 1/4 inch below the frame, with an edge sticking out. The edge digs into my middle finger both when cocking the gun, or when shooting. I know the grip is made by Hogue, and I expected better. Ruger is sending me a new grip, free of charge, to see if I just got a bad one.

Beyond the grip issues, the fit and finish of the gun are outstanding. The seam between the frame and the trigger assembly is barely visible. Good looking gun overall. The slab sided barrel is an added touch. Cylinder lock up is tight, with just the slightest hint of wiggle, and the cylinder alignment is dead on. The gap between the cylinder face and the barrel is really small. It's about as close as you can get without rubbing.

Accuracy is excellent. Once I got the sights adjusted, shooting offhand from a standing position at 7 yards I can make one jagged hole in the paper that you can cover with a half dollar. In future range trips, I plan to shoot at longer ranges, as well as from a bench, to see just how accurate it really is. But I'd have to say at this point that it will out shoot my meager skills.

If I had one true complaint about the gun, it's the trigger. For a gun marketed as a "Match Champion", it should be better. The double action trigger pull is glass smooth. Absolutely no grittiness or catches during the entire travel. But it pegs out my trigger pull gauge at 12+ pounds. You better do some finger exercises if you plan to do much double action shooting with this gun. The single action trigger is also a bit heavier than expected. It breaks clean and sharp with zero creep, but the pull on mine is 4 pounds even. Not terrible, but definite room for improvement. I plan to try a lighter hammer spring from Wolff, which should improve the trigger pull all the way around.

I give it a B+ overall. Very good gun, but room for improvement.

pruger45

Blackhawk
I had one for a few weeks last year...........got rid of it! I bought into all the hype about the tuned trigger/slicked action. Biggest POS I've owned in awhile. I'll fitting, poorly finished. Good luck!

48flyer

Single-Sixer
I had one of the first, non adjustable ones, and I'd say it was as close to perfect as any new Ruger I've bought in the last 5 years. Fit and finish was excellent and shot where I pointed it.
Striker: I'd take those old grips off your hand. I have a project GP, they'd be perfect for!
Thanks

I love mine, couldn't tell you how well the wood grip fit because I removed it when I unpackaged the gun and never put it back on, it got replaced with a Hogue tamer. Mine replaced a 6" stainless Security Six, I shoot the Match Champion better. Couldn't tell you what the trigger pull is because it's nice and smooth, it works perfect for me. If you require a lighter trigger pull I would recommend replacing the trigger return spring first and see how that feels to you. The MC is my woods gun and will likely be that for a very long time, I have no complaints about mine, it does absolutely everything I hoped it would do.

rjn

Bearcat
I have the MC fixed sights and it quickly became my favorite. I heard a number of individuals complain about the gap between the grip and frame and originally didn't like it either.

Then I started thinking, it is probably there to prevent splitting of the wooden grip. Sort of like why on rifles you keep a gap between the stock and metal in the tang area.

As far as the gap being a dirt collector, well I don't know but seems to me that a revolver has lots of places to collect dirt but doesn't happen all that much in reality.

I find that the wooden grip fits my hand perfectly so it would be a downgrade to swap it out.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
+1 rjn on your grip damage theory. I spoke with David Gates of Badger Custom Grips 2 weeks ago at his tables at a local gun show about the "gap". He explained that the relief at the top rear of the grip was necessary so the frame wouldn't chip the grips due to recoil. A pair of grips I have for my SP101 from Thailand also have the "gap". The relief cut on the Badgers is done by hand at the end of the woodworking and some gaps were more pronounced than others. I assume Hogue puts the relief cut in for the same reason. I'll take the "gap" over chipped, cracked or splintered grips any day.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Mine is one of the best handling and most accurate Rugers I own, right out of the box. I don't think I have even adjusted any of the sights as it was dead on at 25yds with my favorite handload. While I don't own a trigger pull gauge, it is more than acceptable and smooth as a standard GP100 that I had a gunsmith do a trigger job on. And it just keeps getting better the more I shoot it. It has quickly become my "go to" gun when I just want to go shooting or plinking.

tedwhite

Bearcat
I have one also. It's the most accurate revolver I've ever owned. But I've never gotten over the trigger on an old Model 10 duty weapon I owned when I was an LEO in CA.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
tedwhite said:
I have one also. It's the most accurate revolver I've ever owned. But I've never gotten over the trigger on an old Model 10 duty weapon I owned when I was an LEO in CA.

A coupla guys at the range bought police trade in Model 10's awhile back. Man, do those ever have sweet triggers.

As for GP100's, every one of them I've shot at our range has been very nice.