Blackhawk For Deer and Hogs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

veeman

Single-Sixer
Buy sample packs if offered. You can also get packs of 100 from Missouri Bullet Co. Shop around.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
I'd wait until your gun comes in and measure them to find out. Every gun is it's own animal. The only Blackhawks I never have had to worry about in this regard are the 41s. They're always good to go for whatever reason.

pisgah

Buckeye
Over the years I have owned probably half a dozen each of three of the Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk chamberings -- .357, .44 mag, .45 Colt -- and a couple of .41s. Never had the slightest problem with out-of-spec chamber throats. Maybe I am just lucky. I do know of one .41 Bisley owned by a friend of mine that would not shoot worth a hoot until it went to the factory and came back with a new barrel, after which it was a sterling performer.

sjs

Single-Sixer
Not sure I understand the drill fully. Do I want cylinder chamber sizes to be greater than barrel throat size, but not by a great amount, and I want the bullet size a small amount larger than the largest cylinder chamber?

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
I've never had a problem with "out of spec" throats either; all were within factory "specs". Just never had a Blackhawk where every throat was the same on any given gun, except the 41s.. There was always some variation, usually 1 or 2 different chambers. Every 41 I've owned (9 that I can recall) has had consistent .411" throats.

"Not sure I understand the drill fully. Do I want cylinder chamber sizes to be greater than barrel throat size, but not by a great amount, and I want the bullet size a small amount larger than the largest cylinder chamber?"

Think of your gun as a funnel. Largest at the throat and smallest at the barrel crown. You should be aiming for consistency of your chamber throats. Theoretically, at least, consistency here gives you a better chance of accuracy, but every gun is different. And there are so many other contributing factors, it's hard to nail anything down without actual shooting. Bore diameter, groove diameter, internal barrel finish quality, bore constriction or not, boolit size and fit, boolit hardness, chamber alignment, etc.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
bisleyfan41 said:
I've never had a problem with "out of spec" throats either; all were within factory "specs". Just never had a Blackhawk where every throat was the same on any given gun, except the 41s.. There was always some variation, usually 1 or 2 different chambers. Every 41 I've owned (9 that I can recall) has had consistent .411" throats.

"Not sure I understand the drill fully. Do I want cylinder chamber sizes to be greater than barrel throat size, but not by a great amount, and I want the bullet size a small amount larger than the largest cylinder chamber?"

Think of your gun as a funnel. Largest at the throat and smallest at the barrel crown. You should be aiming for consistency of your chamber throats. Theoretically, at least, consistency here gives you a better chance of accuracy, but every gun is different. And there are so many other contributing factors, it's hard to nail anything down without actual shooting. Bore diameter, groove diameter, internal barrel finish quality, bore constriction or not, boolit size and fit, boolit hardness, chamber alignment, etc.

Jmo, but like some other manufacturer's, Ruger hit the sweet spot with the .41. Cartridge/bullet, and all the "right stuff" for the Blackhawk to get that perfect combination that results in reliability, accuracy, etc. :)

sp327

Single-Sixer
Jmo, but like some other manufacturer's, Ruger hit the sweet spot with the .41. Cartridge/bullet, and all the "right stuff" for the Blackhawk to get that perfect combination that results in reliability, accuracy, etc. :)[/quote]

I think they just made fewer of the 41's. That means less parts run on a setup/line switch. Which is good because, thing don't get a chance to get sloppy or the tooling doesn't get worn out as bad on one particular run

I have a desire to use the 357 Max for hunting hogs. I know the bigger calibers are most often recommended but the Max is such a sweet shooter and with the long barrel and the right handload, should be more than adequate. Has anyone used the 357 Max in a hunting environment?

Don Lovel

Hunter
I think a 7 1/2" Super is pretty versatile if you handload and the wide selection of power level ammo being mfg now is pretty good and decent prices. I have thought about getting a 4 5/8 or 3.75" Super for EDC out here in the mountains.
I love 45 Colt, but the only way to get performance ammo is make it or order it

Blammer308

Bearcat
I've killed them (deer) with 357 mag cast bullets, and 44 mag cast bullets, both leave a good blood trail and will pretty much punch through a deer sideways, bone and all.

for the 357 mag, pick a good 180gr flat point cast and put it where it counts and get the skinning knife ready.
I've also use a 170gr speer flat point gold dot and gotten complete penetration in my 357mag.

Onty

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
Jmo, but like some other manufacturer's, Ruger hit the sweet spot with the .41. Cartridge/bullet, and all the "right stuff" for the Blackhawk to get that perfect combination that results in reliability, accuracy, etc. :)
Of all calibers in Ruger revolvers I tried (357 to 45 Colt) I liked 41 Bisley more than any other. Just right balance of power and recoil, and (for me) consistently more accurate that any other.

As a hunting revolver for deer and hogs, with right bullet and full throttle 357 could do it, but I would start with 41.

Here is what properly loaded 41 in Ruger revolvers could do http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41magnum.htm .