Very special Blackhawk .30 carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Offered by professional;

Very nice example up for auction, this Ruger Blackhawk three screw comes with an original brass frame, it is original to the gun and very rare due to the fact that Ruger never officially made brass framed Blackhawks, you will see the surface of the blued part is still blued underneath where the brass and blued metal come together, that is a sign of it being original to the revolver, if it wasn't it would be in the white. In addition to the brass frame it is fitted with Ruger original stag horn grips. Fantastic Ruger that any collector will love to own! Metal Condition: Deep bluing with minor handling scuffs here and there. Stock/Grips Condition: Stag grips are in superb condition. Bore: Great shiny bore, strong rifling. Action: Strong action, we have not cycled the action due to the condition.

WOW!

SATCOM

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd have to have a factory letter here. Brass grip framed guns, ESPECIALLY any potential rare one needs the letter. If it doesn't letter,,, then it's only worth the sum of the parts.
Stags were not done by the factory after the early 60's, and that gun is post 1968. Plus, the medallion is a later one,,, not the "black eagle" on all the other stags.

Buy the gun,, NOT the story.

street

Hunter
Here are my observations on what is written. That gun usually comes with a XR3-RED Alum. grip frame. Alum. being the key factor. If it has an Alum. grip frame then that grip frame would not be put into the bluing solution with the rest of the revolver frame, so the revolver frame would be blue under the grip frame. :roll:

Now as for the grips being factory? If you look at the medallion you will see that medallion should be the squashed eagle medallion not the raised white eagle one that wasn't made until 2 or 3 years after that gun was made. Now I'm not saying it is not a factory 30 cal brass frame but you will have to have a letter to verify it. I do say that I doubt it is a factory brass frame and I'm definite it isn't a set of factory Stag grips for that 30 cal Blackhawk because of the medallions.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
While a factory ad shows a brass frame on a 30 carbine. it remains the Company's position that there was NEVER a 30 carbine shipped with a brass frame..............period. This subject gun will not letter...........Second, Ruger never ever offered SBH stag grips on ANY basis. This is someone's built gun, and, not factory original.

Good info above, the story as to what color is the bottom of the cylinder frame ( or between the frames ,IF STEEL, as in the Super Blackhawks), they were blued ,together , as a 'unit' so the bottom of the SUPER cylinder frame will be '"in the white" ,a bit of the bluing salts would have bled into the edges, so the "fact" is when one sees a SUPER cylinder frame, and its ALL blued underneath it was "redone" at a later date...that being said, I've seen a few SUPERS the frame was 'white'; underneath and they had a "factory shipped & installed) brass frame so this tells me, the steel frame was removed and shipped with the Brass frame ???? who knows for certain ???..........YES< there are 30 carbines out there ,with brass frames, as our shop did at least 5 or 6 of them back in the early 70s for customers, we had brass frames "in stock", we got from the factory for $7.50 a "set" ( frame, grips and trigger)...... 8) :roll: :wink:

( anyone have a "factory shipped" ,Super BH ( S-47 B) brass frame gun that letters ,you can removed and let us know, nah, just kidding, BUT again,,,,who knows for certain???) :wink:
I really don;t care , BUT I bet Chad would be interested !!

G2

Hunter
Grip medallions incorrect, location incorrect, but they sure are good lookers. :shock:

At $3,500 for this gun, I think we could all agree it's going no where. ... :roll:

contender

Ruger Guru
Read the description in that ad. The title says it has a letter,, yet if you read the description,, it says the gun was shipped in 1972 as a 30 carbine. That they "believe" it was shipped with the brass g/f. If it will letter,,, the letter would show it as such. The model would be BKH-31B. I'd want to see the letter BEFORE I bought it. I call it creative writing in the ad.
And according to the RENE,,, the ONLY known BKH-31B was serial number 50-18400,, was photographed with brass,,, yet the factory records state it was shipped WITHOUT the brass installed.

STILL a BS ad.

48flyer

Single-Sixer
One can only hope he took it in on trade and paid $2500 for it.
He might as well make a spot for it in his collection. He's going to own it for awhile

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I have decided any time you see "rare" or "hard to find" in a description on Gunbroker you need to pass it on by.

Is there not any accountability in these auctions?

I was wondering the same thing. It really hurts the gunbroker's website reputation if people can just write anything they want about the history of a gun they are selling. Can't gunbroker end or cancel obviously fraudulent listings?

NO there is no "accountability" in sale ads , of firearms, as we have seen, replied to , talked with sellers, and they still have NO clue, ( nor seem to want to) ,in fact, many want to get into a "pi$$ing" contest, thats why folks have to be"responsible" buyers, do their homework and ask questions, I wish I had ONE HALF a penny for every gun that was shown to me or referred to me as to "just what is it" ???? and yes,have gotten into many an argument trying to correct or point out whats "wrong" with the item being shown or sold....I know two auctioneers that got BIG eyes when they spotted me looking at or checking out guns at a "pre auction" viewing, and no, I'm "NOT lying for anybody", to make a sale....... 8) :roll: :wink:

....caveat emptor baby :(

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
A local gun sales board here in Ga, I sent a guy a PM, who was selling a "Flat Top"...that clearly was NOT a FT, tried to educate him...waste of time...he was convinced he had a "$1000 Flat Top .357 Rare/Collectors with Real Factory Ivory Grips" item, despite the FACT clearly in the photos it was a New Model...with JayScott's,

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
The letter is shown in pic #11 which says shipped in May 1972 as a BKH 31. The seller can believe the brass frame was factory installed all he wants to, the letter says otherwise. Brass frame and aftermarket stags added post factory. Good luck if anyone here tries to educate him.