I can't make up my mind on 9mm Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Century Limited

Bearcat
I have been wanting a 357/9mm convertible for many years. Once I save up for one, it seems that I always end up coming home with something else. I now have some cash marked just for a 9mm revolver. I have blinders on to all other guns aside from the 9mm carbine that I know I will not see.

Option one is the brand new 4.62" flattop stainless I actually held locally. Gun looks nice aside from a slight ding in top strap. If it were used, I would not think twice, but on new not so sure and no haggling on $602 price. Most days I prefer the looks of the 5.5", as cosmetically speaking, I think that the barrel should be longer than the ejector rod housing. Other days I think the barrel being same length looks ok.

Option two is buying a used blued 3 screw that has been converted, but comes with original parts in a bag. I understand that if it were put back original it would be one sweet trigger, but I would also have a R stamped on frame. I have heard many replies of "DO NOT UNDO THE UPGRADE" for liability reasons should someone some day be careless. I also hear that it could be more work than expected to put back, and if left modified the action feels gritty and one should simply buy the new model.

Option three would be to find a dealer to order the Lipsey's exclusive 5.5" stainless model that I like the looks of better. I hear some stories that with the 2 million challenge, some Ruger's have actually slipped by quality control. Sure, they would fix any issues, but would I be better off going option 1 and getting one I could see first. I know it would be an awesome gun too.

I wish to go stainless primarily because it will likely be used for 9mm at 10 yards or so in indoor range. I plan on using as I test loads, and to shoot loads too weak to cycle slide on semiauto handguns. I may need to file front sight down if I cannot raise rear sight high enough (Ruger customer service person says they do have 2 heights of rear sight blades and I could possibly switch to taller one and get by). I heard some convertibles left factory with too tall of front sight. I want to be able to undo shortening of front sight that is a pinned blade on SS vs one piece solid to gun on blued

I do not think any loads would be too weak to clear a 5.5" but not 4.62" barrel, or that if I were to shoot my plated bullets it would make a difference for plating separating from lead(I have other post concerning plated bullets)

I came into this with the mindset that longer sight radius helps me shoot more accurately, therefore worth the extra trouble to get the revolver with the slightly longer barrel. I then read a post from someone else whose eyes are not what they used to be and he stated the shorter barrel with sights closer together actually made it easier for him to shoot. I just looked down the sights of my various handguns (at home so did not shoot) and it seems I cannot see worth a hoot through any of them. (likely why I am buying more scopes even for lever actions). The rear sight always seems fuzzy to me, making it hard for me to distinguish exact top of sight. I may try the one ragged hole rear blade, and front blade may not matter id one inch closer or farther away.

I apologize for rambling on again. If not for stories of needing to ream cylinder throats as not always consistent and too small for lead bullets, I think I would have made purchase 15 years ago. Now that my wife has a couple 9mm handguns, and I only have one, I feel I should add one more option for us to shoot when we go to the range. She says she is not a fan of the single action grip but we will see.

I think I should just buy option one and be done with it. I could buy it and take possession immediately. I still would not have a 3 screw or have gotten a great deal though. I have no issue buying used when get a good deal.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Why are you asking people you don't know to choose for you? Pick one. Make up your mind and don't look back. You can always buy the other one. :roll:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
First , you need to know what you want. It sounds like you are just needing to buy something and want some enablers to direct you. Take your time , study and decide ,then settle for no less. You will be much more happy in the end.

contender

Ruger Guru
The stainless one fits your requirements,, on the front sight blade issue.

An OM that has been converted is IN MY OPINION a better way to go. The swapping of the internals is NOT complicated. It's easy & yes,, most of them will have a sweet action. Having one that has been converted doesn't detract from it's value as long as you have the original parts.

Having said all this,,, maybe it can help you decide which gun will work for you.

Long or short bbls are a personal choice. Now,,, your eyes,, physically CAN NOT focus on 3 things at once. You have the target, the front sight & the rear sight. As such,,, you should always focus on the front sight,, and the rear will be slightly fuzzy. The target will be the fuzziest.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
From your list I would pick the OM. The gun is slightly slimmer than the new models. If you are shooting "experimental" loads at 10 yards why would you really care if the sights are perfectly aligned with the POI. Set it up to shoot to POA with a reasonable load at a reasonable range and who cares if the weak loads are a little high or low? Try the trigger on the converted OM. Mine was not that bad. I did convert it back though.

On the face of it, a 9 mm revolver makes little sense to me. I do enjoy shooting my convertible for fun. But designing a revolver for a short, fat, underpowered cartridge does not make a lot of sense. A special purpose gun that I personally do not have a use for. Weak 9 mm loads do not interest me a whole lot either. I make my wimpy loads with .357 cases, Trail Boss, and plated or coated bullets. I run my 9mm plated bullets near the max loading. If you have wimpy loads that will not shoot in the auto a bullet puller is cheaper than another gun.

I am sorta on a similar search as you. I have a NM 9mm with the 6.5" barrel. I would love to have a OM or one of the new Flat tops with the short barrel. When I get back to my home state in April and can actually buy a gun I am going on the search,

Century Limited

Bearcat
I must first state that a 9mm revolver is something that I want, and not something that I need or is even practical. Up until about a year ago, I would have taken one of my 357 mag lever actions and my GP100 out and shot them. I do reload for those as well as the 9mm. I agree that there is no practical reason and why not shoot 38 specials.

In an hours time, I could pull all my bullets and be able to reuse all the components....but what is the fun in that if I WANT a 9mm revolver anyway, not just to shoot the lower powered, but be able to do in addition to standard loads. I am sure that I will have more down the road I'd be pulling as there are many powders I would like to try.

In attempt to be brief, my current state is that my wife and I have a year membership in local indoor shooting range, and this next year I would like to do lots of indoor shooting (Phoenix, AZ, so air conditioning is nice). I was a member of this range a few years back when they opened and had a introductory price for 15 months with my kids. At that time. I drove my daughters car there that got near 40mpg. The amount of times we made the 1 hour or so round trip to shoot there cost me much more than if I were to simply pay by the hour. Main benefit was ability to reserve lane. Wife just started shooting, and trying to keep interest up. She would lose interest if we just drove to range as non-member and had to wait over an hour to get a lane. At 25 yard max distance, seldom shoot rifles there unless testing ammo or initial sighting in. For safety sake, do not really care to take our 380's at same time as 9mm. I enjoy shooting my 45s, but bullets cost less than half for the 9mm. Once I find a load I want to use and stick with it it will be very convenient to whip out many rounds on the Dillon. I like not trimming the brass, which I do on the 38 specials to get consistent crimp only as not to worry about length in 357 chamber. Most of all, I like the fact that 9mm takes less space and weigh less for transport. With 3 handguns and 2 carbines already, makes for a great range trip. Add a couple 22LR guns and have a blast on the cheap.

As for the trail boss load idea, I have loaded many of those in pretty much every caliber. While they are soft shooting and prove accurate enough, my wife does not like the smell. Before buying her first gun, I loaded some 45ACP for my Ruger 1911 just so she could get an idea of how the gun felt in hand and likely a very similar recoil of a 9mm. She shot a couple and refused to focus on anything other than the smell. (insert frustration and arguing here, but soon quit as to not deter wife)

I appreciate all the replies. I just wish I could find an old model unconverted and one that has been converted to compare with the new model. I was anxious yesterday as there was an auction ending on gun broker on old model converted. I find I regret the guns I let slip buy more than the ones that I should not have purchased. I also do not want to make wife mad. Talk about a very thin line.

A dedicated 9mm may be the ideal choice, but finding an old Ruger or S&W model that does not require moon clips is not easy, and I do love the blackhawks. I even considered buying the Charter Arms pit bull 5 shot version through gallery of guns for the lifetime warranty they offer, but to no surprise not available anyway.

Trying to be patient, but scared I will spend money elsewhere on a different gun if tempted.

OP...You are over-thinking all this! Have you ever been around anybody that could not make up their mind about anything? :mrgreen: Outside looking in, even an irrational feller as myself sees indecision as not rational.

I fear whatever you buy, you'll remain awake at night wondering if you made the right choice. Don't do that to yourself.

Can't decide between the 4-5/8" or 5-1/2"? That's a reasonable question until you say you could be shooting some loads that are so weak they might not clear a 5-1/2" barrel, but should clear a 4-5/8" barrel. Are you really thinking this?

Let me tell you what I think FOR ME.

I really like the 9mm cartridge in a SA revolver. There's numerous choices in frame sizes and barrel lengths. Flip a coin and go from there. You might find you made the perfect choice. Or maybe you didn't. Then trade it off for a different one. Or start a collection.

The 9mm cartridge is wonderful in my convertible Blackhawks. So much so, I seldom shoot .38's or .357's. Every bit as accurate as .38's or .357's, very little (I know, it's relative) recoil. And actually, we make fun of the 9mm, but it can be quite potent when compared to a .38 Special. Very cheap to shoot without reloading.

Choosing the 9mm because the cartridges take up less space? Not a concern for me. A pocketful of .38's or a pocketful of 9mm's is still a pocketful.

Right now, I have two New Model convertibles in this caliber. A full size stainless Blackhawk with 4-5/8" barrel. Probably the nicest shooting and most accurate Blackhawk I own. It's a big gun. I always hoped Ruger would release the Flattop in 9mm/.357. They finally did, so I now also have a stainless Flattop convertible with a 4-5/8" barrel. I've never shot the full sized Blackhawk since.

I have some 9mm DA revolvers. Nice cartridge in a DA, but FOR ME it's not worth the hassle of half-moon clips. So I never shoot my 9mm DA's.

Good luck. Pick one and love it.

WAYNO.

DaleH

Bearcat
Fairly recently I bought the Lipsey's Flattop 5.5" barrel.
Love it, I believe it to be a good choice. Good luck with your decision.
Dale - AZ

sIMG_6870_zpsn0or7eji.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with Wayno,,, you are over thinking this.

Another comment. Many wonder "why" have a 9mm in the revolver. You have to step back & look at what the public wants, has,,, & desires.
MANY cops have a 9mm handgun,, and as such,,, 9mm ammo is readily available all over the place. When cops had the DA revolvers,,, many had a 38 spl as their B/U gun,,, so 38 spl was everywhere.
The public follows the cops for many different reasons. And 9mm revolvers,,, DA versions came along BECAUSE a lot of LEO's had been revolver users until the departments switched over to semi's. Many want to carry a DA revolver as their B/U so guns got built for 9mm on a revolver frame.
And for the folks who have a SA revolver,,, and have access to plentiful quantities of 9mm,,, or can buy ammo cheaply,,, having the spare cylinder is a plus. Add in the fact that "because it can be done" many want the 9mm even when they may never use it. Or if they do,,, it is a seldom thing.
Lastly, resale,,, many desire the convertible factor when looking to buy.

So,,, the main history of having a 9mm revolver didn't get popular until LEO's were switching from revolvers to semi's.

sasu

Single-Sixer
I just realised that 9 mm factory ammo is only three times more expensive than 22 LR.

I need more 9 mm guns!

DGW1949

Hunter
sasu said:
I just realised that 9 mm factory ammo is only three times more expensive than 22 LR.

I need more 9 mm guns!

Actually...when bought in bulk, reloadable, brass-cased, 9MM-FMJ can presently be had for a hair over .20 per round. That gets it closer to 2X than 3X. Plus, there's a purty-good market for once-fired 9MM brass, so selling the spent cases lowers one's overall cost even more.

Leastways, that's how this ole cheep-skate does it. :lol: .

DGW

Century Limited

Bearcat
I have been doing my best to locate the twin to what DaleH posted locally to hold and likely not put down before saying "I'll take it" I have the preference of the 5.5" barrel based solely on the cosmetic appearance. Living in Phoenix, AZ, I would think that there must be at least a dozen within an hour of me. I have stopped by many gun shops, and called a few but no luck.

One place that I have not yet stopped is the Pistol Parlour in Mesa. I believe it to still be in business, but I would hate to make a two hour round trip commute only to find they are closed. I tried to go there a few months ago, and discovered that they had moved and I needed to get somewhere else shortly thereafter so did not have time to check out new location. I have called their phone number at least fifty times off and on through various parts of the day for the past week and have always immediately gotten a busy signal. They have a web page that allows one to subscribe to mail list, but no way to contact them. Personally, I would prefer to do business with someone I can get ahold of if need be, so may give up. Anybody able to confirm still in business? Good or bad experiences.

With my first choice being a Lipsey's exclusive, I really wish Lipsey's sold like Davidson's gallery of guns, where you can buy online to have shipped to dealer where you pick up. It appears with Lipsey's, one must find dealer first then have them order one. Much harder to get the best deal that way.

As far as 9mm vs 22LR cost, I have plenty of 9mm brass I can reuse, my small pistol primers cost me less than 3 cents each, 6 cent per plated bullet (on sale, with additional coupon, and dollar off promo) and about another 3 cents for powder. That is only a couple cents more per round than shooting CCI mini mag 22lR. Being frugal and purchasing when can stack promos allows for some cheap shooting. Centerfire loads are also less likely to fail than rimfire, so there is a legit reason to shoot 9mm over 22LR.

I would like to go to range with one, maybe two calibers that are not easily mixed up at a time (9mm and 380 for example). Since I have a Marlin Camp 9 and several mags to go with it, A Smith and Wesson 59 series semiauto that shares the same magazines is in my future as well. I just WANT a blackhawk worse right now. It would also make a same caliber trip to range with my 357 mag lever actions if I wanted that route.

If I violated any rules mentioning specific businesses, feel free to delete post and I offer my sincere apologies. I am not trying to praise nor condemn any in particular.

With the next year indoor range fees paid, 9mm looks like it will be the most shot round, followed by 22LR, then 45ACP. No doubt some 38sp/357mag, 44sp/44mag, and 45 (long) Colt will be fired as well. I try to get along with them all and not pick favorites.

DaleH

Bearcat
Century,
I live in Gilbert and I'm about 10 minutes from Pistol Parlor in Mesa. When I was looking for my Lipsey's Flattop, no one in the Phoenix area had one. I checked Pistol Parlor too and no luck. I knew this was the gun I wanted and I bought one on Gun Broker and had it shipped to a local FFL for transfer. Super easy process.

There are two of them on Gun Broker right now, including the dealer I bought mine from. He has a "Buy in now" ad, so no need to fiddle with any auctions. Just buy it there if you must. It ends in a little over 2 hours, but if it doesn't sell he'll post again.

Edit... new ad ends in 22 hours

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/623302366

Dale - AZ

Century Limited

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply DaleH. I have been watching auctions by that particular seller. I am glad to hear that you have had good luck and can recommend. I do plan on getting one of them in not to distant future. As I am one with many wants, I up and did it again today....spent my money on something else, delaying purchase of the Blackhawk.

I mentioned earlier that my wife bought an XD Mod .2 tactical, and I bought her an EMP 4. Both of these were bought when no promotions going. I ended up getting roped into their current promotion and picked up a Stainless Steel Range Officer model PI9122LP today. Although I may not even use the holster or mag pouches that came with the kit for awhile, I will be getting another of each and four magazines via Springfield's Gear Up promo. I figured I could just as well buy the one on promo now and wait for a deal on the Ruger later, but hopefully not too long or they will be sold out. I would post pics, but I should be sleeping now and it is locked in safe. I was tempted to buy the Ruger 6722 SR1911 lightweight commander style today, but really wanted a heavier target style pistol for range duty rather than carry. I might give it to my son some day, and he was hinting I buy the full size 45ACP when I bought it. I really like the sights on it, or at least think I do as I have not shot it yet. Fiber optic front and adjustable black rear. They had a LIPSEY'S EXCLUSIVE SFPE9209LP COMBAT OPERATOR 5" that really caught my eye, especially the rear u notch sight. That one would have been over $1500, so no go.

I finally got through on phone to pistol parlor this morning. No convertibles available.

I guess that I can get by with my bearcat, single six convertible and super blackhawk for awhile before my single action family grows. My kids will enjoy shooting the Range Officer (sounds cruel saying it - the gun, that is) while they are still around more than the blackhawk, which is more of a gun for ME.

I appreciate all replies, and again, still plan on getting a Flattop before long.

Happy shooting. Be safe.

Century Limited

Bearcat
Packing up to go to range. Originally going to take single actions to help me decide on Blackhawk and if I want to order another one ragged hole sight like on the 44mag. I will likely only take the 9mm and 22LR today as won't have time to shoot all of them anyway. I still think the flattop would keep these good company.

Looks like I need image hosting and can't just add picture. Not familiar with process. Just visualize 5 Ruger's and 2 Springfields. Best get going...