The .357 Hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Let's make this a reality! We've seen special runs of just about everything in .41 Mag recently and I don't for a second say that's bad but we should not be ignoring the .357. The 38spl/.357Mag is the most popular revolver cartridge in the country and I'm really afraid it's being shut out. The popular trend is to go with the big bores and enough power to take down a mastodon at 300yds, I'm fine with that too but why not go with the proven track record of the .38/.357 as well.

Everyone that's on board, give a little thumbs up here. Drop Jason a (very nice) little note. Drop a (even nicer) hint to Mr. Fifer. Republicans took the House, Senate and White House, .357 shooters should be able to slam dunk this one!!

Thank you for listening.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Yes, Please.

The 357 magnum is a spectacular round with enough versatility to take care of almost everybody.

But my personal opinion is that they should start making the 357 Maximum. Why not?
You can shoot 38 special and 357 magnum all day in that hawgleg and then still hit that gong out past a football field with the Maximum. The marketing alone of the new/old cartridge would get great press and free advertising.

Long barrels Please.

So can we both get what we want at the same time from the same sixgun?

Yes, yes, I know. Dream on.

Neezer

Bearcat
It does seem a little odd that they have produced a hunter model from 44 mag all the way down to 22lr/22mag, it just seems like they forgot about the one right in middle. For what it's worth, I figured ruger would have started with a 357 hunter, evaluated sales.......and then gone up or down in caliber from there. Here is what I would like to see: ruger super blackhawk hunter in 357 with a bisley grip and 7 or 8 shot compactly (which ever it would reasonably hold). Based on the overall history and popularity of the 357, I have a strong feeling we will eventually see a 357 hunter. When they come out.....I'll take one

stevem

Single-Sixer
Prescut said:
But my personal opinion is that they should start making the 357 Maximum. Why not?
You can shoot 38 special and 357 magnum all day in that hawgleg and then still hit that gong out past a football field with the Maximum. The marketing alone of the new/old cartridge would get great press and free advertising.

Long barrels Please.

So can we both get what we want at the same time from the same sixgun?

Yes, yes, I know. Dream on.

Now this is an idea I Love!! A Bisley 357 maximum in both blue and stainless that comes with choice of standard or hunter barrels

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
If you guys think Ruger will dig up the bones of the 357 Maximum you have been drinking too much paint thinner.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Totally agree, the Max isn't happening and let's not water down the requested .357 Magnum. The engineering and tooling changes are minimal for the magnum and basically a whole new gun for the max as well as convincing someone to make ammo for it (again). The popularity of the magnum is what should drive this version of the hunter and make it a good seller and sales is what we need for Ruger to do it.

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
The old days of a 357 being ineffective for hunting (at least where as a revolver was concerned) may still be in the back of the minds of firearm developers. At that time there was no factory ammo capable of producing over 500 ft.lbs. at 100 yards unless it was fired in 10" Contender.
Stronger guns and better loads have changed that, hopefully causing another addition to the Hunter line.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
I do have a 1984 vintage Redhawk in 357 with a 7.5" tube.

I've never hunted with it, but it is certainly capable of handling powerful charges. Steel plates are fodder at 100 yards.

I wonder if Ruger will consider putting longer tubes on its current 357 RH run?

Bayou

REP1954

Blackhawk
Let's not forget the 357 mag Bisley with the 7 1/2" barrel. Shouldn't take much to revieve that or find a used one.

Kanook

Buckeye
.357mag Super Blackhawk Hunter (no Bisley for me)

.357mag Blackhawk (or SBH grip) with 10" barrel

.357mag Super Redhawk in either 7 1/2" or 10" barrel (looking for scope rings cutout)

.357mag Redhawk Hunter 7 1/2" (Hoping to see this in the new 8 shot)

.357mag American with 16 1/2" threaded barrel (.357max would work)

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
You guys are definitely getting the picture! One of each in .35ag please. Max would be fine but I just don't think it's a realistic option.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
As an owner of 3 Redhawks in .357mag, I'm not really a fan of the 8 shot, as I've found the .357mag Redhawk to be terribly large and heavy for what it is. If I weren't pushing more case capacity up the tail of them, I wouldn't have the ones I have. The 8 shot was a bad move, in my book.

I'd be VERY intrigued to see a mid-frame Ruger Hunter in .357mag.

I suppose if they DO bring out a .357mag Ruger Blackhawk Hunter, I'll buy one and ream it out to .357/44 also, that could be a good time!

Joe S.

Hunter
I PM'd him.

I'd be in for a 357 Hunter in either standard or Bisley configuration. Been wanting one for a while.

(And also a 32/ 327 Single Six/Seven Hunter)

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
So on a dedicated Ruger forum with thousands of Ruger fanatics, the topic of a 357 Hunter has generated a whopping 15 posts; only 7 in which the poster says they'd buy one. With that "overwhelming" drum beat....ain't gonna happen. Sorry, and I hope Ruger makes one for those who'd enjoy it, but not to be a downer, Ruger's not gonna produce a model with practically no support.

hdrk1111

Bearcat
Plus one here ! I would buy the hunter in a .357 magnum for sure. So there's 9 democracy in action. Get on it Ruger we are a waiting.

Missedagain

Bearcat
Make it 10; I'd definitely buy one. I have emailed Jason and the CEO as well asking for it to be made.