Blackhawk Click No Bang

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I went to the range today. I brought my Blackhawk .44 Special. I haven't shot it in over a year so I was looking forward to shooting some cowboy loads. I loaded up, cocked and squeezed the trigger. No bang! Tried again, no bang. So I unloaded and looked at the primers - no marks. Upon closer look I saw that the transfer bar is missing! I assume that it broke during a previous dry firing session.

Is this a part that I can order from Ruger? I have disassembled and reassembled a single six before so I should be able to replace the transfer bar. But are there any suggestions or recommendations that should be performed during the replacement? Will the transfer bar need to be filed to customized it to the gun?

Thanks for any input.

Tensaw

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
If the transfer bar broke (at any time, dry-fire or not), I would send it back to Ruger and let them replace it. They will probably do it free of charge.

gunzo

Hunter
The last one Ruger sent me was too long & too thick, or the hammer was cut wrong. Either way, I had to fit.

Ruger had given me two options, ship the gun to them on their dime, or, if I was comfortable installing the part myself, they would send me one, at no charge.

Your new one may, or may not need the adjustment.

DGW1949

Hunter
Tensaw said:
I went to the range today. I brought my Blackhawk .44 Special. I haven't shot it in over a year so I was looking forward to shooting some cowboy loads. I loaded up, cocked and squeezed the trigger. No bang! Tried again, no bang. So I unloaded and looked at the primers - no marks. Upon closer look I saw that the transfer bar is missing! I assume that it broke during a previous dry firing session.

Is this a part that I can order from Ruger? I have disassembled and reassembled a single six before so I should be able to replace the transfer bar. But are there any suggestions or recommendations that should be performed during the replacement? Will the transfer bar need to be filed to customized it to the gun?

Thanks for any input.

Tensaw

Yes, Ruger supplies and/or sells replacement transfer bars.
The new TB may need to be "fitted", or it may not. Who knows if Ruger is even aware of that, or would know how if they were?...myself, I've never seen any evidence of the factory "fitting" the TB/hammer interface on the assembly line, so I guess that I'd have to say no to both.

FWIW...You've just learned how useless a BH is when the TB breaks, so if it were me, I'd be offering to pay for a couple of extras even if they said that they'd send me one for free. Cheep insurance, that's what it is.

DGW

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Take the free TB, it's not likely to need fitting and not likely to break again.

Be sure to ask for the right gun. You don't have a Blackhawk, you have a Flat Top Blackhawk (smaller frame), shorter TB.

Hondo44 said:
Take the free TB, it's not likely to need fitting and not likely to break again.

Be sure to ask for the right gun. You don't have a Blackhawk, you have a Flat Top Blackhawk (smaller frame), shorter TB.

Key point. I will also provide my serial number. Thanks.

They are $10 at midway. I asked Ruger for one and they replied "We would like to see your revolver." I just bought one instead. I didn't call them though, just emailed, so maybe I'll call them anyway. As previously pointed out, the new ones are somewhat thicker and require some fitting.