Speed Six Replacement front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weemsf

Single-Sixer
Anyone know of a replacement for the factory front sight on the Ruger Speed Six? I am looking for something similar to an XS standard dot.

zoner

Bearcat
hello....i replaced the factory front sight on my Speed Six with a XS Standard dot tritium sight. The sight i used was made for a Smith j frame. Tap out the pin,remove factory sight. The new sight was just a hair too thick at the tenon so i took a pass on both sides of the tenon with a small file....not quite...two passes on each side and it dropped in. XS includes some red adhesive(loktite), put some on the tenon,drop sight in slot,clamp lightly till adhesive is dry. Then take a appropriate size drill bit and drill the pin hole. I used a hand drill and went in a little on one side,then a little on the other side. Keep going till the drill holes meet in the middle. A little of the red stuff on the pin and drive it in,done deal. I will try to post a pic....never posted pics here before

weemsf

Single-Sixer
Here you go. Thanks for the pics!

speed%20six1_zpsgvnnikgx.png

speed%20six2_zpsgxobio03.jpg

zoner

Bearcat
the installation is pretty easy.....or i wouldn't be able to do it. Did you notice my "Speed Six" is a round butted Service Six?.......Mike

zoner

Bearcat
the front sight "slots" are the same.....XS sells a standard dot sight and a "big dot". I used the standard dot and POI didn't change. I have read where folks that used the big dot needed to cover up their target...POI was behind the front sight. My POI is right on top of the front sight where i want it.....Mike

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
That is exactly what I want to do for my stainless Police Service Six. Will that sight will also work for the Service Six? I had heard something that said it would. Thanks. TD

weemsf

Single-Sixer
zoner said:
the front sight "slots" are the same.....XS sells a standard dot sight and a "big dot". I used the standard dot and POI didn't change. I have read where folks that used the big dot needed to cover up their target...POI was behind the front sight. My POI is right on top of the front sight where i want it.....Mike

What size punch and drill bit did you use?