GP 100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sparx

Bearcat
Planning on getting a GP 100 soon. Either the match or the standard with 6 inch barrel. Is there an acuracy advantage with the longer barrel? Can they trigger group be modified to equal the trigger on the match. I also would prefer a grip as is found on the match.

Regards,
Sparx

I have a Match Champion, you can easily make a Standard GP100 trigger the same as or better than the MC, the MC grip is available from shopruger.com(I removed mine and use a Hogue Tamer). The longer sight radius should make for better "accuracy" if you're shooting longer distances but it won't add much. I chose the Match Champion over the Standard GP100 for one reason, looks. I just love the look of that gun, the slab sided barrel, the tapered cylinder, I just think it's beautiful, the fiber optic front sight is also a big plus to me but you can also add one to a Standard model with ease.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Mechanically they are the same and, as noted, the 6" barrel will give a usefully longer sight radius and better "practical" accuracy. A Wolfe spring kit and a bit of smoothing will make the standard GP have the same trigger quality as the MC.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have two GP 100's with 6" barrels.I bought the first one and installed a red dot and it shoots like a rifle..... BUT I liked it soooo much with open sights too that I decided I needed one set up both ways.

Freuderlocks

Bearcat
I own both a MC with the fixed sights and a 6 inch model. Both are excellent revolvers. The 6 inch has the added bonus of a little extra velocity and accuracy, as 22/45 Fan stated, longer sight radius gives better practical accuracy.

I would carry the MC if it where appreciate to open carry here. Or if I could conceal it. The 6 inch is a boat anchor , great for the bench at the range and some standing target shooting, I've considered hunting with it.

Either will serve you well.

Freuderlocks

If you hunt deer or pigs with a GP, the 6" barrel has the advantage of recoil and blast reduction with the heavier loads. But practically speaking, I've found that adrenaline takes care of most of the recoil and blast sensation when you are shooting at a live critter--I just don't notice those things until the deal's done.

Personally I think the MC is the best "compromise" for all .357 uses except concealed carry. And it's PURTY!

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
I own a 6" GP100, and a 3" SP101, currently. I've shot a couple 4" GPs. If the sights are set up right, the 4" doesn't give up much advantage over the 6", IMHO. The 6" barrel does dampen recoil considerably over the 4" and any SP. If the revolver is strictly for range and/or hunting, I'd take the 6" GP. If any HD or carry is involved, I'd consider the 4" GP, or an SP101/

wolfee

Blackhawk
sparx, whichever you choose make sure you get to handle each. The 6" is pretty nose heavy and makes holding on target rock steady. But, for a plinker/sport shooter the 4" (or 3) are a lot handier. I got a 4" and can't shoot groups as small as I can with the 6". Steadiness and sight radius are the difference.

mxer

Bearcat
My blue 4.2" GP after new springs, smoothed and modified front sight is as accurate as my 7.5" .44 mag SBH and 6" .357 686. Sight radius is only a new challenge, not a source of accuracy. Longer barrel length's only advantage, in my opinion, is velocity.

sasu

Single-Sixer
Mechanically a shorter barrel is more accurate because it vibrates less. The bullet also comes out sooner meaning there is less chance for the shooter to spoil the shot by jerking the gun.

A new argument I heard in favor of shorter barrels is that for older eyes it is easier to focus on handgun sights when the rear and front sights are closer together.

A longer barrel gives an advantage with the sight radius because an error in sight picture causes a smaller miss at the target. For some a longer barrel might balance easier and recoil feels softer. The Metallic Silhouette Creedmoor position is a lot easier with a longer barrel.

Velocity differences are so small that I cannot see that as an argument for longer barrels.

Those are the facts, the rest is a matter of personal preference.

Welcome. Can't go wrong with either. I would suggest the Match since it has the better trigger and the grips you like. I have a 4" that has had an action job done on it. It is very accurate. I had a red dot on it but went back to iron sights (fiber optics). I had a 6" half lug when they first came out but prefer the 4".

sasu

Single-Sixer
Shot about a hundred magnum loads as IPSC practice through my GP100 today, from about 10-15 yards. Shot a few strings weak hand and some strings from the move, too. What a joy!

RugerGP100_IPSC_20170219_zpsx768qngf.jpg

There are some 45 ACP and 45 Colt holes in that target in addition to the 357 Magnum.

This is a nifty trick I learned years ago, to patch only non A-zone hits. Those count as almost misses so you want to see them, and there are fewer of them to patch.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
sasu said:
Mechanically a shorter barrel is more accurate because it vibrates less.
This sometimes applies to rifles and is a non-issue with handguns.

Agreed .
Not even a concern with pistol/revolver length barrels and the main reason fore large diameter/stiff barrels in a rifle build.

gunzo

Buckeye
I try to keep in mind that if all things are equal inside a revolver, bore dimensions, surface finish, & cyl. gap, a 6" gun will be 40, maybe 50 fps faster than the 4". But....... let the cyl, gap grow on the 6" by just 2 or .003" of an inch on the 6" gun & all gains are lost. It doesn't take much & I never count on velocity gains with a longer barrel.

catfish621

Single-Sixer
I find it easier to be accurate with longer barrels. If I got a 6 inch it would be the half lug. You also have the option of the 5 inch. I changed the springs in my 4 inch but it was pretty good to begin with.

dpayne

Bearcat
Put a Hi-Viz front sight on my 4 inch GP and it more accurate that way. The stock trigger seems good to me, much better than my SP 101. I've gottta work on that one. I am a big fan of the GP 100.