Security Six Cleaned up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

got2hav1

Bearcat
I had one of these a few years ago and sold it to my buddy. I regretted selling it and tried to buy it back. He loves it ,and though I bugged him relentlessly, he wouldn't sell it back. So I found one on GB with bad photos , not many of these for sale (with good photos at least) and took a chance. It came in a few days ago and had a lot of handling marks and very dirty. It took me a few days to take it apart and clean it up, but it cleaned up pretty well. I've been on a snubbie kick lately. Here's a few photos of my recent purchase. Enjoy. Post up yours if you have one.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Very nice! Congrats!

Here's mine:

Bought new in 1979 or so. The factory grips were too small for me, so I changed them out.

Bayou

got2hav1

Bearcat
Bayou, I like your grips. I am looking for a replacement set, just not sure what I want. The snubbie was made in 1982, I'm thinking it was a LE gun. Whoever had it never cleaned it , I do know that much. Very dirty ! :shock:

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
got2hav1 said:
Bayou, I like your grips. I am looking for a replacement set, just not sure what I want. The snubbie was made in 1982, I'm thinking it was a LE gun. Whoever had it never cleaned it , I do know that much. Very dirty ! :shock:

Well, you certainly did a great job cleaning her up. She's a real beauty!

Bayou

got2hav1

Bearcat
Sure, I broke it down into frame , cylinder, trigger, hammer, and grips. Sprayed all the parts down with bore cleaner and or PB Blaster. I let everything sit over night and started scrubbing with lead remover cloth on the forcing cone area and face of the cylinder. I soon found out that the 3M pad described below really works on those tough carbon stains. Scrubbed the grips with a little bit of soapy water and tooth brush. Sit those aside to dry out. I used flitz to polish all the rough edges that touch or rub the frame. While the frame was void of all its parts, I used a 3M Maroon colored scotch brite pad to brush the SS frame. Be sure to brush in one direction and long continuous strokes. This duplicates the satin look of Ruger SS. After all that was done, I put everything back together except the grips and again went back over the exterior with the 3M pad. When I was satisfied I put the grips back on and hit the Ruger emblems with a dab of Flitz to shine those up and lightly oiled the wood. ( I have a new set on the way.) I still need to work on the cylinder finish, but I think I can do that without having to take everything apart again. That's about all I can think of. It was fun working on the old gal.

Diamondtreo

Single-Sixer
Nice! Years ago, I traded my OM Blackhawk .357 for a Security Six just like yours. It had a set of rubber boots that made it a real club, but in my wife's hands, it is deadly. She immediately glommed onto it & declared it to be "her gun." LOL its still her favorite.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Man, you guys are killin' me here! Posting up all these pictures of these nice Six series guns. I've managed to have one in my hands in the last year or so. Real nice gun, a blued four inch, but the guy had a ridiculous (even for one of these) price on it and wouldn't budge. :(

got2hav1

Bearcat
Before I found this one I saw a local add for a blue 2-3/4" for sale for a good price and it appeared to be in primo condition. I texted the guy as he requested, and five minutes later he text me back saying he had just marked the add SPF. ARRRGGGHHH. Missed it by that much ! That was a nice gun.

tedwhite

Bearcat
got2hav1, it probably was an LE gun. As an ex LEO I can attest to the fact that most of us (this was back when we mostly carried revolvers) never cleaned them. After all, it's a revolver, what could possibly go wrong?

got2hav1

Bearcat
It took several attempts with bore cleaner and Hoppes to get a clean shiny bore , but I finally got there. Definitely hadn't been cleaned in a good while.

got2hav1

Bearcat
ruger700 said:
I envy the stainless; I have the same one in blue and love it!!!

I like the blue ones also. SS is a lot easier to take care of though.

tedwhite

Bearcat
But the blued ones have character as they age; holster shine. nicks, scratches , clearly visible cylinder rotation line, etc. Whereas the stainless models look like they just came out of the box 20 years later.