Ruger flattop Bisley 44 special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bearcat
Ruger flattop Bisley 44 special...
Couple questions, new to the forum, and my 1st post...

Looking around the 5 1/2 inch seem more rare. vs the 4 5/8
Why is this?
Do they command higher prices these days?

Did ruger put any extra care into the Lipsey run, like trigger smoothness, fit and finish?

thanks

One of the true collectors will be along shortly to answer you question on numbers. I have not held one of the new 44 special bislseys but the guys I know who have them are sure pleased. Also, welcome to the forum and thank you for posting and participating.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have a 5.5" FT Bisley 44 Special and with a Bowen rear sight and Cary Chapman grips is a good looker and a good shooter!

djw54

Single-Sixer
NikA said:
Got a link for that? That's some news that I'd like more info on...

Jeff at gunblast interviewed Jason at the Lipsey booth. Go to gunblast.com or YouTube to find it. Also revealed shorty 454 and 480 Bisleys.

Rclark

Hunter
Nothing special about the trigger, or special care taken at the factory. You get what you get ... a normal heavy, creepy, Ruger trigger pull. As for 5 1/2" and 4 5/8", I believe they were probably produced in equal numbers. Mine is 5 1/2" as that is my preferred barrel length. I prefer my plow handle .44 Special to the Bisley as the .44 Special is a pussycat when it comes to re-coil (Thinking Skeeter load) . The advantage of the Bisley is when shooting real kick'n loads (Hot .44 Mag, .45 Colt Ruger only loads, etc.). Also if you have big hands as some say it fits their grip better.

Here is some reading material :

.44 Special Bisley Ross Seyfried

medicdave

Blackhawk
Found this fella with some sight work and a bowen locking base pin used for less than a basic flattop sell for.

Not enjoying the balance of a short bisley or the eye sore stainless hammer, it's being mated to a plow handle with ivories and pc hammer and trigger set, and a colt ejector rod. A little more work on timing the pawl to the new hammer and it'll be good to go.

It'll end up being a good Ying to the yang of this one.

gobbler

Bearcat
Single-Sixer, is the stainless flattop in your last picture a 44 special also? Are the front and rear sights on it also from Bowen? If so, are the rears the Rough Country or Target model? What height is your front sight? Did you replace the original sight because you couldn't get the gun sighted in with the original sights? If so, did the Bowen front and rear sights solve the problem?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have the same stainless 44 flattop and am having trouble with the sighting it in. Shooting high with the Skeeter load and the factory rear sight bottomed out.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Gobbler, let me see if I can get most of these questions answered for you.

1) Rear Sights: Bowen on blue, Micro on Stainless
2) Front Sights: Suspect Bowen on blue, NOS Micro blank on stainless.
3) Front Sight height: I'll see if I can get my brother to measure them, I'm on the opposite side of the planet from them right now.
4) Why change: Sighted in fine with Skeeter load, I just prefer patridge front sights. Blue gun had what I had planned to do to another 44 specials front sight I already had. The Bowen rear is a Rough country with target blade. Bowen doesn't offer a target sight for the flattops.
5) If your gun is shooting high replace your front sight with a taller one. Bowen makes a blank to shape as you please, as well as many other options including a taller ramp from Ruger. Changing a pinned in sight is a very very easy mod to do at home. I wouldn't replace the micro rear unless it's loose in the mortise. I like the lines of the Micro sight better than the Bowen on the flattops. Another option is speed up your load a bit to lower poi. Check out Brian Pearces load data for the special in these revolvers.

Rclark

Hunter
You are lucky! Every one of my Rugers (and I have quite a few and the .44Special Bisley) had creep (some more than others, some gritty, but always there), and usually a lot more than 2# for the pull. A trip to the gunsmith took care of that for me. Now I have the 'break like glass' feel on most all my shooters ... and a nice 2# break pressure.

gobbler

Bearcat
Thanks Single-Sixer for answering my questioning. You've been very generous to take the time and the info is helpful. I'm not too far from Hamilton Bowen's shop and think I will pursue one of his front sight blades. As you say, on the stainless they're pinned and should be fairly simple to replace. Yes, I too like the looks and function of the Micro rear sight. Am especially happy that I can get a medium frame 44 special blackhawk at such a reasonable price w/o going the expensive custom route. Would like to see Ruger continue the 44 special flattops. Thanks again and good shooting.