Fun with .44 Magnum, Super Blackhawk and Rossi 92 carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
Much nicer weather here in Southwest Virginia today, partly cloudy and temps in the mid 50's. Headed up the mountain to try out some hand loads in the Super Blackhawk and try out a new shooting lane carved out of an old fire break.

I got some .44 brass and Berry's 240 grain plated bullets for Christmas, so I loaded up 40 of them to try. I loaded them according to Berry's instructions, no more than 1250 feet per second, and a light crimp so the plated jacket won't be deformed. I tried some unique powder, enough to get 1150 FPS. They seemed accurate enough, but there was some bullet jump. I'll have to leave these for rifle shooting I think.

Six rounds fired standing, two hand hold at 20 yards. The center white portion of the target, my aiming point, is
1 3/4 inches in diameter:

Had a good workout with my old favorite .44 Magnum hand load, a Hornady 240 grain XTP bullett propelled by 2400 to 1250 FPS. Most rounds went true, there was one "Trigger Jerk":

Some hits on swinging steel:

On to my new shooting lane, an old fire break bulldozed by the National Forest Service a couple of years ago. To keep a brush fire from spreading onto National Forest Property, they bulldozed a fire break on my property to contain the fire in a gully. I have been maintaining the fire break with machete and weedeater, Right now I have about a 100 yard shot down into the gully. I put a piece of swinging steel down there and took some shots at it with my Rossi 92 carbine. I used the Berry's plated bullets and some of my 240 grain cast lead rounds loaded to 900 feet per second.

The white spot is the swinging steel. Can you see it?

15X zoom on the camera:

25X zoom:

Very satisfying, got 100% hits from the seated position, standing a little more challenging, but still pretty easy to get hits. The Rossi is a very capable rifle:

A happy shooter at the end of the day:

Mus408

Hunter
50's and some sun?? You lucky dog! Here in Central Va. just clouds gloom and 43 degree chilly.

Great shooting and a nice place you have for it. I spent part of today doing some reloading chores.

I have one revolver in .44 Mag and it's the S&W 629-2E with 3 inch barrel and thinking of loading
for it too.

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
Good shootin, I've been looking hard at the Rossi 92, my local dealer has a 45 Colt in stock but I'm thinking .357 mag. Thanks for sharing your day.

Joe

Mus408

Hunter
The Rossi isn't bad if you take it apart to clean and polish out the rough spots in the action machine work.
Not the full size 92...but I have the Ranch Hand in .45 Colt and I shortened the barrel a bit more to 9 inches and added a brass post sight on the barrel band.
Slick little shooter now!

Enigma

Hunter
Magnum Force, are you using a roll or taper crimp with those plated bullets? I'm wondering if a taper crimp might not be the better choice in this instance, to reduce bullet jump.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
Bullet jump is when a reloaded bullet in an unfired case travels forward when the revolver is fired. Recoil inertia is enough to cause the bullet to move forward. The bullet can travel forward enough to tie up the revolver.

Most jacketed bullets have a crimping groove so that the bullet can be firmly crimped and will remain in place under heavy recoil. Berry's plated bullets have no crimping groove, and thier loading instruction say not to crimp heavily or the bullet jacket may be deformed, causing poor accuracy.

I use a roll crimp with my Lee dies, I have heard of using a taper crimp with Berry's plated bullets, but I would have to buy another die. Don't know if I'm wed to these Berry's bullets enough to buy another die....

Mus408

Hunter
Xtreme Bullets may have a .44 Mag bullet with crimp groove. I know they have them in 38/357 and 45 Colt. Crimp groove is shallow so you have to go easy.