Appeal of Bisley?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
First of all, I'm pretty much ignorant of what all a "Bisley" revolver is. The main thing I notice is a "flatter" hammer. What else is involved and what is the appeal?

hittman

Staff member
Flatter backstrap. Similar yet vastly different shape of the grip. I found that the bigger the caliber, the more I appreciated the Bisley design.

Give me a big bore single action and I shoot it like crap unless it's a Bisley grip.

i still think the old Colt Bisley grip is about the best looking handgun around. I've never held one but they are so graceful. The Ruger bisley grip is also nice looking...not as nice as a Colt, but nonetheless it is also very comfortable.

And personally, with the larger grip frame, and more weight to towards the wrist, they balance better as well.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
As these guys say, its just the shape of the gripframe and personal preference. Myself, I don't care for the looks of the Bisley

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
Some of us with gorilla hands cannot effectively shoot a regular grip frame. An XR3 type is simply swallowed up in the palm.
The larger Super Blackhawk grip frame fits most of us just perfect but some can't cope with the Dragoon trigger guard. Now there is also a round trigger guard "Hunter" grip frame available.
I never really thought about the looks of a Bisley but it sure is comfortable.

Do a search of the Bisley history, you will see it was more developed for comfort and marksmanship.

contender

Ruger Guru
I was never too excited about Colt's Bisley g/f way back when I was younger. When Ruger introduced the Bisley g/f,, I figured it wouldn't last & hinted to my g/f at the time about wanting a 32 H&R Mag Single-Six in Bisley,,, thinking,,, it'd become a rarer variation. She bought me one for Christmas!
Well, I'm glad to say the Bisley design as well as the 32's have survived!

To answer the OP,,, the Bisley design is the grip frame, trigger & hammer differences.

But the reason they have survived,,, is because they are liked by many,, now,,, including myself,,, because they work for a lot of different hands. Plus,,, as many here have said,, a heavier recoiling caliber is easier to shoot AND be accurate with the Bisley over the plow handle design. Ergonomics as well as physics have made them popular.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The Bisley is a unique and attractive single-action revolver that is well suited to heavy loads. The grip style is very different from the traditional 'plow handle' grip. The Bisley does not roll-up in your hand when it is shot, your arms take the recoil.

s4s4u

Hunter
The Ruger Bisley just feels right in my hand. I don't care for the old plowhandle at all. Now I said Ruger Bisley, not the original Bisley from way back that looks like a dang fishhook. Those do nothing for me at all.

Personally, I think the Bisley grip frame falls into the same category as laminated stocks. Someone, somewhere, sometime convinced folks it was a good idea. Then common sense returned and the Bisley grip pretty much disappeared.

Then someone, somewhere, sometime convinced folks all over again it was a good idea. Proving that a bad idea can be foisted off on folks over and over again. Or as the saying goes, "those that do not learn from history are bound to repeat it".

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I like both the Bisley and plow handled Rugers and own several of each.
Bisley grips were a learning experience for me as the plow handle is the only style I had ever shot or even seen other than in pictures up untill about 15 years ago.
Definatly an aquired taste it seems, either ya love em or ya hate em.
Much appreciated when mounted on a heavy recoiling gun like the Bisley Super Blackhawk.

The bisley frame does not roll back in the hand like the plow handle so the hammers were made lower to be able to cock the hammer without disturbing your grip on the gun. Plow handles ride up in recoil so the hammer spure is cocked as the hand is repositioned on the grip for the next shot. With a little practice,either will seem natural and both take about the same time if speed shooting.

NB4EST

Bearcat
Never especially cared for the aesthetics of the Bisley GF, but when I competed in SASS's "Duelist" categories (revolvers must be shot one-handed), I discovered that nothing worked as fast in my right hand as a single action Ruger Bisley. They helped me win several state titles, a few regional top 5 placements, and a 7th place finish at SASS's world championship (End of Trail) in the Frontier Cartridge Duelist Category.

When and if you ever step up the power level of your single actions to 5 shot 45 Colt, 475 Linebaugh, 500 Linebaugh or any of the other big bore guns you will develop and appreciation for the bisley shaped grip frame. Some of the top custom gunsmiths will not build the bigger bore guns unless it has a bisley grip frame. Probably because they have to test fire the guns!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
powder smoke said:
Easier on the knuckles too. :D ps

I did not find that to be so. In fact, just the opposite. My Bisley gripped guns whacked the knuckle of my middle finger. Prefer the Super Blackhawk grip on heavy recoiling guns.

Bob Wright

tmatt

Bearcat
Bob Wright said:
powder smoke said:

I did not find that to be so. In fact, just the opposite. My Bisley gripped guns whacked the knuckle of my middle finger. Prefer the Super Blackhawk grip on heavy recoiling guns.

Bob Wright

I'm like Bob W. I just bought a Bisley 44 mag.. It whacks my middle finger something fierce. I would trade it for a regular or long? SBH grip frame or maybe a complete 44 mag regular SBH with 5 and 1/2 inch barrel.
There is less room between the grip and trigger guard. I love the way it feels in the hand but not when I actually shoot it.
Troy

I like the Bisley look, especially the hammer. Reminds me of a Cape Buffalo horn. I bought a 7.5" Bisley Super Blackhawk and it was brutal on my middle finger. For shooting I will take the regular grip frame. That being said though, I have sold all of my single actions and only own double actions now.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
tmatt said:
Bob Wright said:
powder smoke said:

Bob Wright

I'm like Bob W. I just bought a Bisley 44 mag.. It whacks my middle finger something fierce. I would trade it for a regular or long? SBH grip frame or maybe a complete 44 mag regular SBH with 5 and 1/2 inch barrel.
There is less room between the grip and trigger guard. I love the way it feels in the hand but not when I actually shoot it.
Troy

Me either. I love the feel of the Bisley in my hand, but it hits my middle finger no matter the caliber 41, 44, and 45 light or heavy load. Sometimes painful, sometimes not.
Never had an issue with the SBH or BH doing that. Really come to appreciate the XR3-RED...I know, I know......heresy.

MaxP

Buckeye
Robb Barnes said:
When and if you ever step up the power level of your single actions to 5 shot 45 Colt, 475 Linebaugh, 500 Linebaugh or any of the other big bore guns you will develop and appreciation for the bisley shaped grip frame. Some of the top custom gunsmiths will not build the bigger bore guns unless it has a bisley grip frame. Probably because they have to test fire the guns!

This.....

When recoil rises to levels considerably higher than the much heralded .44 Mag, the Bisley offers a considerable increase in control.