Cold weather carry, RSB and Flap holster......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
Struck out this morning for an ATV ride, 12 degree OAT, three inches of snow on the ground here in Southwest Virginia. Getting bundled up in layers and a heavy coat, how do you access your revolver?

A Carhart belt, Ruger Practical holster, Mosin Nagant ammo pouch:

The Mosin Nagant ammo pouch holds fifteen rounds each of a mild cast lead 240 grain bullet (900 FPS) and some stouter 240 grain jacketed hollow points (1275 FPS). Revolver loaded so that the first two rounds are mild cast lead, then four jacketed rounds.

The revolver, a 4 5/8" stainless Super Blackhawk I bought about four months ago:

The flap holster I got off EBay, I have been a sucker for these Practical Holsters since buying one new in 1979.

Destination is my cabin and mountain top rifle range, 1/2 mile from the road and 700 feet up:

100 yards from here to the farthest target:

Didn't do any shooting today, just checking to see "All is Well". All was well, weather should moderate next weeek and we'll get some shooting in.....

contender

Ruger Guru
Why no shooting? That white stuff makes target ID easy,, AND if you miss,,, it often allows you to see where the slug went!

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
I have had good results with a Simply rugged holster and the Chesty Puller rig. My outer layer goes over the holster so I just have to unzip to access the handgun. So far I have yet to be out drawn by a deer.

Mus408

Hunter
Looks like you have a great setup and a fine Ruger to enjoy!

What size is your cabin and is that a 6 or 8 ft. deep porch?

I'm planning on a small cabin for my place in the Central Va. woods.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
The cabin is 14' X 28', one single room with a wood stove. Two lofts, front porch is 6' deep, which is plenty. This spring I am adding a deck with a tin roof on the left side, to add to the porch area.

Some Mennonite shed builders built it on spot, and it wasn't a lot of money. Getting the materials up to the build site was the hardest part, five trips with a skid steer pulling a landscaping trailer full of building materials.

I've carried a SBH just like the one shown in a very similar(knock-off) holster here at home and in the mountains of Colorado with extra ammo in a covered belt slide. Using a belt sized to accommodate either no coat or heavy winter wear makes the package universal. I like the flap holster for the protection it provides the gun from snow, bumps while working, and dust.

kooz

Blackhawk
I use a Diamond D guides choice chest rig with a 6rd ammo holder on the strap , I do not use a flap so as to maintain easy access . This style rig is easy to throw overtop of your clothing which is very handy here in Colorado as you are layering constantly to deal with avoiding sweating up while taking on steep terrain.I don't worry about getting snow/rain on my pistols or keeping them protected anymore than what a normal holster provides and just wipe them down when I am able at the end of the day. In 30+ years of carrying handguns while in the outdoors , I have never had the elements cause functional issues with my guns .

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Magnum Force.... you asked for it, so here it is. First , thank you for posting a set of fine photos. Second, I heartily concur with contender, How can you get all dressed up like that, ride in an open vehicle @ 12-degrees fahrenheit, check out a gong @ 100 yards, and then not throw lead?

You equipment is good, specifically a flap holster to keep out gradou. You are indeed rugged, to wear thin cotton trousers, summer work gloves, and a presumably blanket-lined canvas jacket which helps to break wind but little warmth without physical work. In the North Country we don't wait for the weather to clear to throw lead. By this method we get to check all aspects of preparation.

Overall, thanks for the report. Await the lead slinging.
David Bradshaw

mic214

Bearcat
I have a Guide's Choice rig from Diamond D as well. Mine is for my 5-1/2" Ruger SBH, but it also fits my Colt New Frontier. I bought mine used from a member on another board. It is a great holster that has a cartridge slide, but doesn't have a flap. There are times when I wish it did, as things can get pretty dusty around these part in the summer months.

I may look into a full flap belt holster, possibly even a crossdraw set up that I can wear when I am riding in my Polaris Ranger out at the ranch checking fences..... :D

contender said:
Why no shooting? That white stuff makes target ID easy,, AND if you miss,,, it often allows you to see where the slug went!

Had a weird phenomenon happen to me shooting in the snow. Over my friend we shot
maybe 350 or 400 rounds of 45lc plinking shooting at cans in the snow. Had a good time
it was uneventful.
Spring comes and we are basically out there doing the same thing only difference no snow!
Shooting from the same spot as we always do, I happen to look down and picked up
a 250 gr RNFP projectle!! Were did this come from? Started looking around we found six more.
Ricochet in the snow? What would cause this? Never figured that out. Naturally never
did that again. ps

ETA: These bullets looked brand new not a mark on them, so they did not strike anything hard.
Very Strange!

Mus408

Hunter
Magnum Force...are those hand loads you are shooting and if so what type loads you shootin'?

After our 10 inches of snow this past Saturday it is in the mid 60's today..snow all gone.. and going out to shoot today. Will be a bit soggy down there!

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
Yes, they are hand loads. The ones pictured are Hornady 240 grain XTP's propelled by enough 2400 to get 1250 FPS. A little less than factory 240 grain loads, but still have some oomph to them. For target work and plinking I cast my own 240 grain LSWC's, with them I use Unique or Trail Boss to get 900 FPS.

.44 Magnum is probably one of the most versatile calibers to hand load for. I can assemble a mild cast lead round for less than the cost of a .22 round these days.