Saga of the Ruger "Pitted Stainless Steel Cylinder".

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The one I wished to use the Subject cylinder is a .32H&R Magnum Single Six.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Why not just look for another .32 H&R Magnum cylinder and send it and the gun (minus the cylinder) to Ruger for fitting? Or send the gun to Ruger without a cylinder in it and ask them to fit a new cylinder and charge you for it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
RoninPA said:
The one I wished to use the Subject cylinder is a .32H&R Magnum Single Six.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Why not just look for another .32 H&R Magnum cylinder and send it and the gun (minus the cylinder) to Ruger for fitting? Or send the gun to Ruger without a cylinder in it and ask them to fit a new cylinder and charge you for it.

Why pay for a new cyl from Ruger when he has a defective cyl they'll replace?

Chev. William

Bearcat
Sending the .32 H&R in to Ruger would get another .32 H&R Cylinder, which is NOT easily Converted to .32 Colt diameter chamber sizes.

The Idea of buying the Revolver The Pitted Cylinder was from is very difficult as I have NO Idea Where it is located nor if the Present owner wishes to sell it.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

NikA

Buckeye
I think Hondo was just suggesting you acquire a gun of the same model so that Ruger would accept it for fitting purposes. You could probably find a friend with a .22M SS around here to loan you one given the (lack of) availability of .22M ammo.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Chev. William said:
Sending the .32 H&R in to Ruger would get another .32 H&R Cylinder, which is NOT easily Converted to .32 Colt diameter chamber sizes.

The Idea of buying the Revolver The Pitted Cylinder was from is very difficult as I have NO Idea Where it is located nor if the Present owner wishes to sell it.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

NikA is correct: not suggesting you buy the exact gun the cyl came from, just any 22 single six in stainless.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
G2 said:
Uhhhhhh really??? WHY....

JUST BUY ANOTHER CYLINDER FOR THE PROJECT... :roll:

The time & money spent to "fix" current cylinder,,,, it's a very common cylinder, whereas another can be acquired for common cents or is that sense. :roll:

Bingo! The one you have would make a fine fishing sinker! :( :(

gyrhed

Bearcat
Hondo44 said:
Chev,

I don't think your gunsmith will be successful with Ruger. But, hey give it a try, no cost and nothing to lose.

However, obviously you have an investment in the cylinder and don't want to just chuck it out. So here's a Plan B:

Buy the gun the cyl was made for. Call Ruger, and complain about the porosity in the cylinder. It won't be the first Ruger has had to fix or replace including entire guns.

They'll send you a free shipping label, you'll have the gun back with new cyl in under two weeks. Put the original cyl back in the gun and resell it. You'll have your cyl for your project. If you want to pay for another cyl, ask them to fit a spare cyl as well.

That's the only way to get cylinders from Ruger.

I just sent back a ruger red hawk to ruger the main problem was a single split case, they sent me a new gun rather than fit a good cylinder.

The cylinders aren't serialized, go to the gun show and buy a cheapo. Send it back with your cylinder. Probably get new gun, that will resell easier, worst case new cylinder only. They have to make the cylinder right it's a manufacturing defect. It is their defect wether you bought the cylinder.New.or.not. I would not have.the gunsmith or anyone else contact.them though. It's a small group and.once.they know about the cylinder problem if it comes.in on a.revolver it.might.raise a.flag.

gyrhed

Bearcat
Hondo44 said:
Chev,

I don't think your gunsmith will be successful with Ruger. But, hey give it a try, no cost and nothing to lose.

However, obviously you have an investment in the cylinder and don't want to just chuck it out. So here's a Plan B:

Buy the gun the cyl was made for. Call Ruger, and complain about the porosity in the cylinder. It won't be the first Ruger has had to fix or replace including entire guns.

They'll send you a free shipping label, you'll have the gun back with new cyl in under two weeks. Put the original cyl back in the gun and resell it. You'll have your cyl for your project. If you want to pay for another cyl, ask them to fit a spare cyl as well.

That's the only way to get cylinders from Ruger.

I just sent back a ruger red hawk to ruger the main problem was a single split case, they sent me a new gun rather than fit a good cylinder.

The cylinders aren't serialized, go to the gun show and buy a cheapo. Send it back with your cylinder. Probably get new gun, that will resell easier, worst case new cylinder only. They have to make the cylinder right it's a manufacturing defect. It is their defect wether you bought the cylinder.New.or.not. they do not want a defective cylinder out there, even on a modified gun. I would not have.the gunsmith or anyone else contact.them though. It's a small group and.once.they know about the cylinder problem if it comes.in on a.revolver it.might.raise a.flag.

You are.not cheating them, they have legal reasons not to send out altered guns, it's just the society we live in. So unfortunately to get their defect fixed and not get a new gun due to your changes you need to send them a stock gun.

I got the entire.legal department on.me.for.shooting buffalo.bore in my 45colt rehash. :)

Lucky for me.the case that.split was a federal 45 ACP. I had to strip.that.gun down and return to stock before I sent it back.

Chev. William

Bearcat
Jan. 15th: No word back yet from the Local Gun shop on Ruger Response.
Still waiting "Patiently" and Still Full of Hope for a positive response.

This Friday will be The Installation of the New President and probably Televised Protests by Those Who feel So badly that Donald J. Trump is the declared Election winner.
The "Show" looks to be "entertaining" in its Extremes of displayed acts and emotions. It wil be shorter as DJT has said the 'Celebrations' will be Shorter so he can get to work as POTUS sooner.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

Bearcat
While Waiting on the reply from Ruger, I have been able to get Another Stainless steel 6-shot .22-MAG cylinder on Ebay, at a greater cost than the first one.
I will continue to hope Ruger agrees to a replacement cylinder but I an not "Tied down" waiting for their response now.

When my gunsmith OKs me bringing in another item for him to work on, it wil be the cylinder to have it re-cut to fit .32 Long Colt rounds. and verify The Walls are still thick enough for Safe High Pressure (more than SAAMI MAP) Firing.

IF it is ; then I will consider having the Single Six reworked to take these Re-cut cylinders to fire the Colt Family of Cartridges in .32 Caliber. i will Use Blued Cylinders for the S&W family of .32 Caliber cartridges.

Best Regards,
Chev. Willaim

Chev. William

Bearcat
It is now April 21st and still no reply from Ruger to my Local gun shop about the BAD Stainless Steel Cylinder.

In the Interim I have handed my Gunsmith all my 6-shot Used Cylinders along with my Ruger .32 H&R Magnum Single Six Revolver to have the Replacement cylinders machined to fit my Frame for future use.
I am NOT having the Revolver Modified at this time.

wmgeorge

Bearcat
If indeed the OP first cylinder was made from bar stock I would be concerned about the entire cylinder not just a couple of visible pits.

Chev. William

Bearcat
wmgeorge said:
If indeed the OP first cylinder was made from bar stock I would be concerned about the entire cylinder not just a couple of visible pits.
I did NOT have a Radiography inspection done of the Problem Cylinder so We DO NOT KNOW if there are further "Hidden Flaws" in it. I have reported what Visible defects both myself and my Gunsmith found with Magnification inspection.

As to How many other Cylinders may exist with similar defects, no Guesses.

The Facts are so far known are that THIS Cylinder DOES have Defects and Ruger Says ALL SS CYLINDERS are Machined From Bar Stock.

How Such Visible Defects got through Ruger Production Process is a BIG Question as they say they Proof fire every Revolver and cylinder that they Fit to a Frame and This Cylinder has a partial serial number inscribed on it end face like other Ruger Cylinders.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

Bearcat
PriseDeFer said:
Did you call Ruger?

I originally Did call Ruger and was rebuffed by the Technical Advisor I talked to.
That is why I took it to my Local Gun Shop and Gunsmith for review.
My gunsmith Agreed that it was Defective by Visual Inspection and unsafe to use further. The Gun Shop Owner also visually Inspected the Cylinder and agreed that it was Visibly Defective and Agreed to attempt negotiations, as a Dealer and Gunsmith, wiht Ruger to see if Ruger Would provide a Replacement for the Defective Cylinder without sending in the already Modified Revolver Frame.

To Date The Shop has NOT received any Reply from Ruger.

Chev. William

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Send Ruger an email with a photo of the cylinder attached then call them again and repeat until you get somebody you like on the other end.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Give it up, Ruger is not going to send a new cylinder.

To put it gently, this is one of the biggest head scratchin' threads I've read in a long time. :roll:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
The name Chev. Sounds familiar. Didn't you have another problem on here? At one time? I have to say man, you have throughly over engineered this. Was interesting reading for a bit , tho

Chev. William

Bearcat
daveg.inkc said:
The name Chev. Sounds familiar. Didn't you have another problem on here? At one time? I have to say man, you gave throughly over engineered this. Was interesting reading for a bit , tho

I have made Two Lines of comments other than this one; The Threads i have posted to are (not the names)::

1. Description of a Conversion and Modification to a .22LR/WRF Ruger Single Six into a 10-5/8" Long Barrel .25ACP CF Ruger Single Eight.

2. Description of a pair of Stevens Projects (a Favorite and A Model 44) to Fire CF .25ACP and .25-10 Halsted/CF versions of .25Stevens (Long) Cartridges.

3. This Thread is part o f a Project to Make Replacement 6-shot Cylinders for a Ruger .32H&R Magnum Single Six to provid ea Test Gun for .32 Caliber cartridge sin cylinders actually Chambered for the Cartridges; Including .32 Short Colt,.32 Long Colt, .32 Extra Long Colt (CF equivalent), .32 ACP, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and of course .32 H&R Magnum. I planned to use Stainless Steel Cylinders for the Colt Family and Blued Cylinders for the S&W family.

As the Cylinders for the Third "project" are 'used' and originally chambered for .22LR or .22WMR and have run form $80 To $120 each so far, I was hoping that Ruger would 'take Pity' upon me and replace this one DEFECTIVE cylinder without demanding to fit the .22 Cal. cylinder to my .32 Cal. Revolver themselves, as it will be Re-bored to .312" and A Suitable .32 COLT family after I receive it.

My Existing .32 H&R Magnum Cylinder will Also need to be Modified to match the Modified Frame/Barrel in keeping with the other Modified, and Shorter Ratchet Face to Chamber Face length, modified .22 Cal. cylinders.

Best Regards,
Chev. William