Ruger Bearcats...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm down to a basic stainless Bearcat. Had a Shopkeeper, but decided I'd prefer the one with a little bit longer ejector rod. But then I'm thinking about the Bearcat with adjustable sights. What are your experiences with the two? Apparently you don't run into them very often. I haven't seen either one in person. I think of the Bearcat more like a kit gun. I just like them. It was one of the first handguns I developed an emotional bond to when I was a kid. I'd sit in front of the TV with the Aldens Catalog wanting my own Bearcat.

trapperon

Blackhawk
I think the adjustable sight model is great. In my opinion as a kit gun you want the sights "dead on" rather than trying to remember "hold low left" or whatever. Maybe I just have too many guns to try to remember where all my fixed sighted ones hit!

I have had all the new bearcat variations and by far my first pick would be the adjustable sight model. Its great, also, that they are all shipped with steel ejector housings as well.

Good choice!

Ron

Mine fit my hands OK. But then I shoot two handed, so just about any handgun fits fine! I'm even OK with an original Colt Bisley or New Service. One-handed, I can't hit for crap.

I was taught to shoot two handed, and always have. The only drawback that I've found is with some autos that tend to bite the web of my right hand if I let it ride a little high on the backstrap. OWW! One reason I favor revolvers, but not the only one.

Sights are huge on the adj sight Bearcat. Good luck finding a dedicated holster. Mine went down the road for that reason...And because I finally found a fixed-sight Bearcat that shot to my point of aim.

WAYNO.

this, from a previous discussion...

WAYNO said:
There is no reasonable amount of forcing that will allow the front sight of the adjustable-sight Bearcat to fit in the "ShopRuger" holster.

...the bulge seen in the holster effectively captures the ejector rod housing, eliminating any slop that might allow the barrel to be forced into the holster

Pistolero said:
I wonder if a Bianchi Lawman #1 SA .22 might come close?

...hugely oversize for the Bearcat...

WAYNO.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Triple K makes a great Bearcat holster, which I bought. The instructions describe how to "break it in." I used the technique of pushing a closet hanger dowel in it and leaving it overnight. The adjustable sight Lipsey's Bearcat fits beautifully using this technique. Plenty of room for the front sight. You can see it and buy it here:

https://www.americasgunstore.com/products-page/single-rig/triple-k-110-675-wyoming-western-drop-belt-and-ruger-bearcat-western-holster-for-gun-group-77-guns-ruger-bearcat/

Simply rugged cattleman's holster fits the adjustable sighted bearcat. I didn't know they are more on the uncommon side of things. I bought mine used but with all the paperwork and box. I bought it for my 8 year old daughter. She likes it, I've taken it out a few times without her and it seems extremely accurate. At the shop they had both stainless and blued. We debated about the two and she picked the blued. I was so proud of her!

I think the adjustable sights make it look bigger, like more grown up, than the fixed sights.

Oh, and I have not adjusted the sights at all. But still, they give you a more defined sight picture than the fixed sights. In my opinion at least.

Swamper

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack,

Like you, I have run the line of Cats, initially a stainless basic Bearcat, then a Shopkeeper, and then the adjustable version. I gifted the Shopkeeper to a friend of mine for his daughter's first gun. I really like the birdshead grip but hated the ejector setup (Poor project development on that thing as it hurt or even cut you if you were ejecting a contrary case.) Some time ago I mentioned to Jason at Lipsey's that grip profile would be better served up with the longer barrel. I have seen one such custom where the owner had the Shopkeeper re-barreled to 5.5". Nice!

Both of my grandfathers were hardened from their early youth through the Great Depression. Between marriages and children, they had to be resourceful and self reliant. Those traits followed them to the Pearly Gates. Each managed with 22 single shot rifles and a garden or nearby truck farms. Barter was THE currency. Each were, by their own experiences, well armed with H&R 922 revolvers in .22LR. They provided food for their families and neither ever felt undergunned for defense with the H&R's. My maternal grandfather stood down two men who had broken into his truck. When my paternal grandfather passed away, my grandmother continued with the same logic. She felt that "them hollerpoints will blow your head off" and she shared the same quote with a young man that thought he might steal from her late one night. He quickly quit the bad guy club.

Try as I might, I hated the grip frames on those H&R's. Not enough gap for my middle knuckle. For my large hands with skinny fingers (yeah, I know..., loose gloves), the Bearcats feel great. And, I can point shoot them with a scary level of accuracy. When checking the cows, I bring the big boys, when checking the girls and collecting eggs on behalf of a friend, the Bearcat is my Chicken Checkin' Gun.

Swamper

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I was lucky enough to find two adjustable sight Bearcats in Flagstaff last month, a blued and a stainless. I bought both and love them. You can find the adjustable sight versions on Gunbroker. Lipsey's told me that they are completely out of the blued versions, and may or may not obtain more from Ruger. They still have a few stainless that can be ordered via dealers. The Triple K #675 holster fist them quite nicely and is sold by various vendors. I like the drop belt that is often sold with the holster:

https://www.americasgunstore.com/products-page/single-rig/triple-k-110-675-wyoming-western-drop-belt-and-ruger-bearcat-western-holster-for-gun-group-77-guns-ruger-bearcat/

Major T

Blackhawk
I bought a blue standard Bearcat, like NIB, from another vintage gentleman, to help him gather funds for a stainless Marlin 336. The trigger needed a little help, which I attended to. I didn't shoot it for a while. In Dad's waning years, he liked for me to drive him out to the farm to look see if his renter was doing things correctly. On one trip, I loaded the little gun with Yellow Jackets. While driving slowly through the farm, a jack rabbit hopped across the road in front of us and stopped about 25 yards out, just over the crest of a terrace, leaving only the head and ears visible. I stopped aimed dead center on the head, and surprise, the Bearcat was dead on. As usual, as I drove off, Dad had some comment about luck vs. skill.

Mine shoots dead on with the named ammo. I still have some and don't know if Remington still makes it.

Jack

mic214

Bearcat
I have on old Bearcat that was given to me by a friend many years ago. I mainly use it for rattlers out at the ranch.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
This holster by Leather Creek fits my adjustable sight Bearcat perfectly:

bc1.JPG

bc2.JPG

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
My local dealer Bear Arms has told me that the Lipsey's exclusive adjustable sight Bearcats are now available again. They have seven available.