Brand-new 4" Redhawk issue...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
I just took my brand new 4" Redhawk (5026) to the range today for the first time. The first six rounds out of the gun were uneventful, but by the end of the second cylinder, the hammer could not be cocked without jiggling the cylinder. This allowed the cylinder latch (stop) to re-engage the notch in the cylinder and the hammer could then be cocked. By the third cylinder full, this was occurring on every shot. Ammunition was standard Federal American Eagle 240 gr. JHP.

Is this as simple as a weak cylinder latch spring, or is this indicative of a timing issue? Is there anything I can try to resolve this, or does it need to go back to Ruger?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Mus408

Hunter
Call Ruger and ship it back and after about 3-4 weeks it will/should come back better than new.
That was how it worked out for me when I bought a new Redhawk Alaskan that had several issues with cylinder lock up and excessive cylinder gap. Returned with a better polished finish too and works and shoots right on the money now!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You might try a complete cleaning and washing of the works with solvent. Take the grips off and if you want take down the major assemblies as shown on the Ruger website. Use mineral spirits, kerosene or spray solvent like gun scrubber. Let drain then generously oil all moving parts and wipe down with a rag. Reinstall the grips and try dry firing to assure yourself that the function is ok before using live ammo again. Sometimes debris from manufacturing and dried factory lube can get into the works.

If it still gives you trouble a call the Ruger is in order. Ask for a shipping label and pick-up to send the gun back to them. :D

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
....Reinstall the grips and try dry firing to assure yourself that the function is ok before using live ammo again. Sometimes debris from manufacturing and dried factory lube can get into the works. ...

I should add that the gun dry fires fine in both single and double action- quite smooth actually, although the SA pull is heavy, but crisp with no creep or overtravel. Something about the recoil of live firing seems to be causing an issue.

I stripped it down and thoroughly cleaned/oiled it. I'll try it out at the range again next weekend.

Thanks.

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
Back to the range today. I figured out the issue. The b/c gap is too tight and when the gun warms up and the face of the cylinder gets dirty, the cylinder rubs against the rear of the barrel.

Back to Ruger....

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
UPS picked up the Redhawk on 12/15 and Ruger adjusted the b/c gap, and had the gun back to me by 12/24. Outstanding service and the gun shoots great now.

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
Well, I should have shot it a bit more before I assumed this was fixed. Yesterday, while practicing some double action shooting, I noticed the cylinder is still dragging against the rear of the barrel. Sure enough, upon closer inspection, it is obvious that there still is contact between the rear of the barrel at 12 o'clock- you can see the circular drag marks just outside the edge of each chamber on the face of the cylinder in these photos.

Back to Ruger next week...

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
I have every reason to believe Ruger will get it right this time. I still think they currently make the best affordable revolvers on the market. I'll be back to buy another one soon.

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
Two days ago I received a phone call from the team leader for the Redhawk line apologizing for the issues with this gun. He stated that the end play was out of spec so they replaced the crane, adjusted the b/c gap and test fired the gun. Today I received my Redhawk- in addition to the adjustments, they even cleaned and re-polished it. Can't wait to get out to the range.

DeltaRose said:
I have every reason to believe Ruger will get it right this time. I still think they currently make the best affordable revolvers on the market. I'll be back to buy another one soon.

Have to agree, too bad tho a few slip threw that shouldn't. Ruger Revolvers are a good value. ps

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
Out to the range today for a little testing. 100% reliability with the 14 lb. Wolff reduced power hammer/trigger spring, but the single action pull is still above 5 pounds. Time for a trip to the gunsmith for a trigger job.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
"Two days ago I received a phone call from the team leader for the Redhawk line apologizing for the issues with this gun."

Wow, a direct connection with the one making the gun. Quality Control people are responsible when it's too late. Ruger, you are on to something here, hear?