Shooting my new to me Ruger Blackhawk Bisley .45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Also got to try out my "Box O Truth" sandbox I put together yesterday. I needed something to
hang my paper targets on and also catch the bullets!
The Bisley shot very well after a slight windage adjustment and using the ghost ring sight was great.
Of course I always forget to pack something for my range trips and that was the .45 ACP ammo to use with the cylinder swap.
Anyway it's always great to get out in the woods!

My new range area has a small creek or branch running along side called Black Branch so that's the name I gave it....Black Branch Ranch...a work in progress!

https://youtu.be/G9rpkFnMKHk

Mus408

Hunter
I shot about 3 rounds of my hotter Colt loads I use in my Alaskan which were 250 gr. XTP bullets loaded over 20 gr. of 2400. Yeah they had a kick and hit the steel hard,but feel a bit more pleasant in the short barreled Alaskan due to its large cushioned grip.
Checked out the bore and cylinder later and found no leading after firing milder Colt .45 loads which were my typical hardcast 250 gr. LRN with 8 gr. of Unique.
Now the small throat size mentioned about the .45 Blaclhawks didn't seem to give me concerns at this point. I had heard that when the bullet leaves the less than .452 diameter throat it could lead to leading in the barrel but didn't see much of that.
Think the 250 gr. bullets loaded with 9-10 gr. of Unique would be great for this gun for all day shootin' !

Mus408

Hunter
Many thanks to you Bear Paw Jack!

I bought this place back in October and the thick wood berm was already in place and the area I shoot in already cleared. Several projects planned for next year such as fill dirt or a sand pit in front of the wood berm, a Johnny house, and a pavilion area using a metal carport structure with a picnic table.
One day maybe a small cabin.
Great thing though is the few people around are into shooting as well as you could hear in the background!

Mus408 said:
Many thanks to you Bear Paw Jack!

I bought this place back in October and the thick wood berm was already in place and the area I shoot in already cleared. Several projects planned for next year such as fill dirt or a sand pit in front of the wood berm, a Johnny house, and a pavilion area using a metal carport structure with a picnic table.
One day maybe a small cabin.
Great thing though is the few people around are into shooting as well as you could hear in the background!

Sounds like that dream is coming together. It's good when a dream comes together. Cabin, shooting structure, comfortable john, place to get away and shoot. Learn to shoot and move. A guy could get good at all this. Maybe make meat for the freezer.