Ruger Security Six with fixed sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I am looking at one with S/N 150-782XX. Is it a low back with that SN, four inch barrel and fixed sights? I have asked for photos. Is this something desireable and collectable? All new territory for me. David

Dantforth said:
I am looking at one with S/N 150-782XX. Is it a low back with that SN, four inch barrel and fixed sights? I have asked for photos. Is this something desireable and collectable? All new territory for me. David

Yes it is a low-back. Remember, the original low-back Security Sixes were available either as adjustable sights, or fixed sights. It was not until the transition to the high-back that they decided to call the fixed sight model the Service Six. The value of these is not much different than an adjustable sight low-back, unless you find somebody (like me) that specifically looks for these. I would pay a premium for such a model, if in perfect condition. And when I say premium, I'm talking $450/500.

WAYNO.

hittman

Staff member
Dantforth said:
Is this something desireable and collectable?

Yes!
Absolutely.
No doubt about it.
This is something many of us pay what others consider a "premium" price for. But .... that's just me.
And WAYNO! :lol:

Is there an "S" after the serial number?

hittman said:
Is there an "S" after the serial number?

That's a good point, but the ones I was thinking about have a "U". And I think there should be a few floating around. The one I had... the story was...there was a bunch sent out to different gun writers for evaluation. Those that were returned to Ruger were cleaned up and resold with the "U" stamp. We had a dealer in my area that had a whole batch of them for sale, for a very reasonable price...in 1974. My point being, if my dealer got quite a few of them, Ruger must've dumped a lot of them.

WAYNO.

edited...I had a fixation with the "U" after the serial number. I found the original receipt on mine, and it was actually a "S".

Dantforth

Blackhawk
It does not have an S or U after the serial number. It is 38 Special only. It appears to me to be in 90-95% condition and has no box or papers but is original. Price is much less than prices quoted here. My dilemma is that, because it is a 4" barrel, it is prohibited here. Meaning only old folks like me, who are grandfathered with the ability to own these, will lose them some day. Permits for prohibited have not been issued in many years. Pistol belongs to a friend. Thoughts? David

hittman

Staff member

Tough call and I'm not sure I understand your laws well enough to form an opinion.

Can it be exported if you decide against owning it?

Suppose it depends on how bad you want it and what purpose it is for. If you'll make it a shooter/range gun may be one thing but if you'll eventually lose it to the government it's something else.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Eventually have to sell it or lose it. Most who have the designation are my age but the youngest are nearing sixty years of age. I would be happy to sell it to someone in the USA. I have done some research into selling my prohibs to the USA. There is some paperwork involved. A FFA with the proper license is a must. I have two very early Bearcats in box which are like new and are prohibs here as well. Another topic for another day I guess.

hittman

Staff member
I bet if you let some of us "southerners" here know when and what you need to sell, importing them here would be an option.

Good info to know ..... good luck with your decision!

luvmyRugers

Single-Sixer
I agree with the previous posts, David. I have a 150-394xx 357 Mag. Purchased in the early 1970's for $95. I have been offered more than 4 times that amount but will never part with it. Not sure what the price of yours is, but if it is sub $400, I would be on it like a duck on a June bug!
Good luck with your decision.

.38 Special? :mrgreen:

The pot just got sweetened. I assumed this gun was .357, since most of them are. .38 makes it even more special. Some folks collect Security/Speed /Service Sixes, and there's many more variations than ya might think. A feller might be lucky to have a fixed-sight Security Six, but in .38 he'd be extra lucky, and I suspect very few collections have one.

WAYNO.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Would this be an SDA84? My Rene guide is confusing and doesn't seem to address the non adjustable sight 38 Special only model very clearly. How many would have been made? David

hittman

Staff member
A PM from you to Chet15 may be in order on this one.

For some reason I'm thinking others have said that 38 Specials account for maybe only 10% of total production. (??) Could have dreamed that but it's the first thing that came to mind.

Hope others will chime in; especially if I'm wrong. But, I agree with WAYNO, being 38 Special is another more rare or scarce plus.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, the deed is done. I now own it. Not much invested. So now I am in the market for a box and manual which I expect will be difficult to find. Photos soon. Hoping Chet15 gives an opinion. David

sasu

Single-Sixer
Superb to see a nice gun saved from destruction! Congrats and thanks to all parties involved. Heart warming thread we have here.

Dantforth said:
Would this be an SDA84? My Rene guide is confusing and doesn't seem to address the non adjustable sight 38 Special only model very clearly. How many would have been made? David

Yep, SDA84. Quantities made would only be a guess, as Ruger is tight lipped about numbers.

Dantforth said:
Well, the deed is done. I now own it. Not much invested. So now I am in the market for a box and manual which I expect will be difficult to find. Photos soon. Hoping Chet15 gives an opinion. David

Congratulations. I am envious.

Good luck in your box search. :mrgreen: Took me a long time to find this one.

WAYNO.

chet15

Hawkeye
For the fixed sight DA marked Service-Six, the SDA-84 is one of the more common models in the low back frame, although it would seem pretty scarce considering how many 4" guns with Adjustable sights you see.
90-95% is a tough grade, and maybe that is pretty conservative for the gun?
The toughest thing though is it is still in Canada....and getting it into the US would tack more onto the price.
Sounds like you did well on the purchase price however.
Chad