Wood grips for SP101?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tedwhite

Bearcat
I have a GP100 MC and it came with wood grips from the factory. Initially I was put off by them, but after shooting a few hundred rounds I've come to like them. A lot. So I wonder if Ruger (or anyone else) makes a similar set for the SP101? They seem quite large but they're actually narrow. I've got small hands so that's a good thing.

The SP101 came with small grips with inserts (very nice looking) but I could see that they'd be a knuckle-banger so I changed them out for Hogues. But I generally don't like rubber grips.

Holmes375

Bearcat
Here's a Hogue stock, pau ferro without finger grips:
p506780438-5.jpg

I removed the original high polish finish and softened the bottom edges then finished it with beeswax. Less slippery than the factory finish.

This is a set of the Eagle Secret Service stocks in rosewood:
p753380685-5.jpg

These are easier for concealment when carrying OWB than the Hogue sock. They also have a different grip angle than the Hogue. Badger stocks are similar. The more angled grip deals with recoil management and shot follow up better then the more perpendicular Hogue style but the abbreviated grip is not as comfortable as the full length Hogue during extended sessions with normal magnum loads.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!!!!!
I too have a GP MC. I truly do like the grips myself. They fit my hands quite well. I also have a few SP's. Look at the Hogues above,,, I think you'd find they do a close job of things. Just remember, the SP is smaller than the GP & as such, the grips will be a bit smaller as well.

Thel

Blackhawk
Also, regarding the Hogues, if the grip be too small for your hand be aware one can order Hogue grips directly from Hogue made to fit your hand size. I have done this about 8 months ago for another gun (Redhawk). Also, going directly to Hogue's site one can select the wood, grip configuration, checkering or lack thereof, etc.

http://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/sp101

tedwhite

Bearcat
I do indeed like the look of the Hogue grips on Holmes375 SP especially the post-purchase treatment. Having said that, I believe I'll go with the Eagle Secret Service in Rosewood. Why?

1. I carry OWB in a Wright Leather Works "Predator" and the Eagles will conceal better.
2. My SP is not a range gun (I've got a GP100MC for that) so I don't do "extended sessions" with magnum loads. So 90% carry concealed and 10% shooting, mostly in a desert dry wash.

And say, Holmes375, what did you take those fine photographs with?

Holmes375

Bearcat
Pistolero said:
Holmes375,
I like your Hogues. I have Hogues on my 9mm that might get a similar modification. I also like the front sight on your SP. What brand is it?

ps, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the welcome. Long time lurker, decided to come out o' the shadows ;)

That is the Small Wonder sight by Gemini Customs. An excellent piece available with a red or green insert. Very low profile thus no holster issues.

Holmes375

Bearcat
Thel said:
Also, regarding the Hogues, if the grip be too small for your hand be aware one can order Hogue grips directly from Hogue made to fit your hand size. I have done this about 8 months ago for another gun (Redhawk). Also, going directly to Hogue's site one can select the wood, grip configuration, checkering or lack thereof, etc.

http://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/sp101

Thank you for bringing this up. I should have noted it in my post. The grips I have did come direct from Hogue. Availability is sometimes in stock, other times you may have to wait a few weeks. They do have an excellent selection and option set.

I was unaware of the custom fitting available. Good to know for future reference.

Holmes375

Bearcat
tedwhite said:
I do indeed like the look of the Hogue grips on Holmes375 SP especially the post-purchase treatment. Having said that, I believe I'll go with the Eagle Secret Service in Rosewood. Why?

1. I carry OWB in a Wright Leather Works "Predator" and the Eagles will conceal better.
2. My SP is not a range gun (I've got a GP100MC for that) so I don't do "extended sessions" with magnum loads. So 90% carry concealed and 10% shooting, mostly in a desert dry wash.

And say, Holmes375, what did you take those fine photographs with?

I think you'll like the Eagle SS stocks. They conceal surprisingly well. It always amazes me just how much difference when I switch them out. I was also surprised at how well a boot grip handled the recoil and follow up. The designer knew what he was doing.

I have a set of their Classic stocks on order for the SP with checkering. I think they fall just in between the SS and the Hogue versions in terms of size.

The camera I use for pics is a Panasonic FZ1000. I don't have a great set up for indoor photography as I shoot primarily in the outdoors. My bathroom is my makeshift studio due to the lighting available there.

tedwhite

Bearcat
Tried to order the Eagles on their website and all went well until I entered my email. "That email address is already in use." Dead in the water. Went through my grip drawer and there was a set of rosewood grips for an S&W Model 36, probably bought 5 years ago when I had such a gun. They are closed on the weekend so I'll call tomorrow and straighten the matter out.

That's a very nice camera. I have a Pentax K20D digital SLR and I'll try that in the garage as it has skylights.

Addendum: Called Eagle grips today (Monday) and finally got the grips ordered.

Holmes375 said:
Pistolero said:
Holmes375,
I like your Hogues. I have Hogues on my 9mm that might get a similar modification. I also like the front sight on your SP. What brand is it?

ps, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the welcome. Long time lurker, decided to come out o' the shadows ;)

That is the Small Wonder sight by Gemini Customs. An excellent piece available with a red or green insert. Very low profile thus no holster issues.
Thank you for the info. I plan on ordering the Small Wonder sight.