"Ruger Only" loads in my old large frame Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I don't mess around with hot loads in much of anything any more. It hurts my old arthritic body, and I had my personal fill of big boom and recoil in my youth. But I was safety- checking my old, large frame .44 Magnum Vaquero ( a revolver of true beauty) this morning before fondling it and happened to note the thickness of the chamber walls. Hmmm. I no longer have my Super Redhawk to compare my Vaquero walls to. I wonder if "Ruger Only" loads are OK if I ever had to use them in my Vaquero? Just wondering. Thanks. Don.

contender

Ruger Guru
If your Vaquero has a 2 digit prefix in the serial number, it's the same frame size as the normal Blackhawk. Ruger only loads will be just fine.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Nevermind. What a silly old man I am. Just missed that word "Vaquero" in that load disclaimer I read......Don.

contender

Ruger Guru
You are NOT a silly old man. ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. Asking questions is NOT silly. NOT asking a question can be a bigger problem.

s4s4u

Hunter
contender said:
You are NOT a silly old man. ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. Asking questions is NOT silly. NOT asking a question can be a bigger problem.

What he said ^^^

Slenk

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
A 44 magnum is a 44 magnum. What are you thinking? You won't find a 'New Vaquero' in 44mag. :D

I just bought a New Vaquero Bird Head 3/4" In 44 magnum.
And yes it is marked New Vaquero .

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Slenk said:
Jimbo357mag said:
A 44 magnum is a 44 magnum. What are you thinking? You won't find a 'New Vaquero' in 44mag. :D

...and that is Ruger's way of saying they want to cause confusion between the large-frame 'Vaquero' and the smaller 'New Vaquero'. I saw those on Ruger's website for Lipsey's and wondered how they were going to be labeled. Thanks for the heads up. :D

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
Slenk said:
Jimbo357mag said:

...and that is Ruger's way of saying they want to cause confusion between the large-frame 'Vaquero' and the smaller 'New Vaquero'. I saw those on Ruger's website for Lipsey's and wondered how they were going to be labeled. Thanks for the heads up. :D

I bought one of those last spring. It's a lively little thing. Cylinder does in fact measure the same as the super Blackhawk. My theory is that they "vaquero-ized" the 50th anniversary 44 flattop frame because this new vaquero has the new indexing pawl system like the flattops. Perhaps that is why they're calling it a "new vaquero".....?

Latest posts