Cylinder Switching Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Could a person buy a Redhawk chambered for 45LC/45ACP and switch the cylinder to .454 Casull/45LC and safely fire the .454 Casull in it?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
It has been done before. My question to you is why?
I guess there are folks who don't like the Super RedHawks looks. Me, I like and own both.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Chuck 100 yd said:
It has been done before. My question to you is why?
I guess there are folks who don't like the Super RedHawks looks. Me, I like and own both.

I have the SRH, in the form of the Toklat, great gun but it is a big one, just thought the 4" Redhawk would make a pretty close to perfect packing gun. I have no immediate plans to do this conversion, I was just curious.

Mus408

Hunter
I like the Alaskan with it's short barrel...easier to pack and carry.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
Brian Pearce has published load data in Handloader magazine for REDHAWK ONLY loads which approach 50Kpsi in the Redhawk 45LC.

Beartooth Bullets sells a 325 gr 45LC load that clocks at 1269 fps out of my 4 inch RH45.

Garrett Cartridges of Texas is selling 405 grain 45LC ammo for the Redhawk only.

My personal favorite handload is a Beartooth Bullet 345 grain at 1235 fps out of my 4.0 inch RH45. I worked that up using H-110. It's probably somewhere north of 40K psi.

Why anyone would bother to swap out a 45LC Redhawk cylinder is beyond me. It's a very strong cylinder, it's just as long as the 454 cylinder, and you aren't going to gain much unless you like 60K psi loads.

Like, has been said, yes you can do it, but... Even in Alaska, I felt no need to carry a 454, mostly carried a 44 Mag with a good hard cast from Buffalo Bore Ammo. Talking to Tim Sundles (Buffalo Bore owner) about it, he agreed the 45 Colt load I used would do anything the 454 load would do. Get on line and read some of the John Linebaugh articles where they test a lot of loads. Sometimes more is not better, it's just more. I also prefer the 45 Colt 325 grain HC +P Buffalo Bore ammo, is your time back on target is quicker if you need follow up shots. I know of several people who have used their handguns to save their bacon from bears. 2 used 454 loads and both ended up tieing up their guns with bullet creep. Even some factory loads will do that. You have a good gun, just step up on the ammo some.