So what makes a Blackhawk shoot too high?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yep, I said TOO HIGH. Like in 4 to 6 inches over point of aim using a variety of loads. This is in a 44spl stainless NM flat top. I have tried to load up and it is better at 4" high but the rear sight is bottomed out and can't get the accuracy I want in what should be a good shooting 6 gun. I'm pretty disappointed and had high expectations. I bought this about 2 years ago, worked with it a bit, gave up, pulled it out of the safe a couple of times to try different loads, and the occasional factory ammo, but just can't find something that shoots well in this revolver. The best I can get is about a 2" spread printing high, mostly in a vertical string fairly well centered on the paper at 25 yards. I really don't want to go with a taller front sight, as the factory one is already fairly pronounced. Anyone have the same problem, with this or any other Blackhawk? Will sending it back to Ruger do any good, or am I just stuck with shooting at a 6 o'clock hold from now on? (not my preference for fun shooting). Oh, and I am loading lead cast bullets, from Matt's and a couple other casters I can't think of right now. From 185gr to 315gr, LSWC to flatnose Wadcutters and RNFPs. Powders used most are H110, Unique, Herco, 2400, W231.
Opinions please.

29aholic

Single-Sixer
If you don't want to go with a taller front sight, you might try filing the rear sight down and if necessary file a deeper groove. I had to do that on a Model 29 S&W I put a Millett rear sight on. The thing about it, if it doesn't work the rear sight is easily replaceable.

gobbler

Bearcat
jimbo1096, I have the same gun and essentially the same problem although mine is 2 inches high at 25 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. I got on the Ruger website stated my problem and a question regarding availability of a taller front site blade (these are pinned and replaceable on this model) or a replacement lower rear sight blade. I got a response from Ruger suggesting that I return the gun to them. Having heard some stories of receiving back a scratched up or otherwise damaged gun as a result of this process, I'm somewhat reluctant to do this. However, I'm thinking about it. This is an option. I've also consider getting one of Hamilton Bowen's Rough Country rear sights as a possible fix.

Rclark

Hunter
I found shooting 240g SWCs, 7.5g of Unique under them, I still had to file the rear the sight down to get it to shoot to POA. Only load I shoot out of my .44 Specials (except the CA Bulldog which uses 6.0g under 240g SWC), so works for me. I'd think being your front sight is pinned, you should be able to order a taller front sight and replace it yourself. My specials are all blued.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Heavier bullets generally impact higher than light ones due to the added recoil and longer barrel time before the bullet exits the barrel.
Two inches at high @25 yards ? I know lots of guys that would be delighted to get results like that.

contender

Ruger Guru
Stainless guns have a replaceable front sight blade. I'd call Ruger & get a taller one & replace it if stainless. If not, call them & complain, LOUDLY,, that they need to make the blued ones have the same ability.
Other than that, as noted, a bit can be taken off rear blade. Cheapest fix.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You are loading H-110 in a 44 special. That right there tells me you are either overloading the cartridge or using the powder the wrong way. Have you tried shooting SAAMI 44 special loads or factory loads for accuracy? :D

s4s4u

Hunter
I really don't want to go with a taller front sight, as the factory one is already fairly pronounced.

Then you will need to shave the rear sight. Are you holding on to the handle firmly? A wimpy grip will allow more barrel rise during recoil and higher POI

DGW1949

Hunter
jimbo1096 said:
Yep, I said TOO HIGH. Like in 4 to 6 inches over point of aim using a variety of loads. This is in a 44spl stainless NM flat top. I have tried to load up and it is better at 4" high but the rear sight is bottomed out and can't get the accuracy I want in what should be a good shooting 6 gun. I'm pretty disappointed and had high expectations. I bought this about 2 years ago, worked with it a bit, gave up, pulled it out of the safe a couple of times to try different loads, and the occasional factory ammo, but just can't find something that shoots well in this revolver. The best I can get is about a 2" spread printing high, mostly in a vertical string fairly well centered on the paper at 25 yards. I really don't want to go with a taller front sight, as the factory one is already fairly pronounced. Anyone have the same problem, with this or any other Blackhawk? Will sending it back to Ruger do any good, or am I just stuck with shooting at a 6 o'clock hold from now on? (not my preference for fun shooting). Oh, and I am loading lead cast bullets, from Matt's and a couple other casters I can't think of right now. From 185gr to 315gr, LSWC to flatnose Wadcutters and RNFPs. Powders used most are H110, Unique, Herco, 2400, W231.
Opinions please.

My OM 4-5/8" 357 has always shot high too, so what you're experiencing aint nothing new for Blackhawks.
Filing all that I could from the rear sight helped quite a bit....but still, no cigar. And like you, I wasn't about to add to it's already too-high front sight. So, what I had to do was simply learn to live with it by settling on one load and using the right amount of hold-under.

Works for me.

DGW

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I have a Blackhawk that shoots high. Filing the rear sight did not help much and it makes the sights much harder to use. Going to lighter bullets at a higher velocity will lower the groups some. Maybe enough. Raising the front sight will help with the POI. Not sure it will help with the vertical stringing. Maybe caused by worrying about the height of the sight. Maybe caused by slow, heavy loads and a slightly inconsistent grip.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
It's all in the grip. Grip as high as possible. And dont forget dry firing. A good hand gun shot requires practice dry fire as much as live ammo. Fact

s4s4u

Hunter
Not sure it will help with the vertical stringing. Maybe caused by worrying about the height of the sight. Maybe caused by slow, heavy loads and a slightly inconsistent grip.

Most likely your grip. Keep it firm and consistant from shot to shot.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
The 6 o'clock hold is pretty standard and has been the factory norm for quite a while. Since it puts the rounds where you want them I would just go with it or the lighter bullet route. For center hold lighter bullets and/or the higher front sight may be your only choices. I don't know if it will work or not but you could try to file/stone the underside of the rear sight and see if that gets it a bit lower. The sight body is aluminum so it won't be difficult.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Snake45

Hawkeye
s4s4u said:
I really don't want to go with a taller front sight, as the factory one is already fairly pronounced.

Then you will need to shave the rear sight. Are you holding on to the handle firmly? A wimpy grip will allow more barrel rise during recoil and higher POI
That's what I was going to suggest.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
"I silver soldered a piece of 1/16" brazing rod atop the front sight. That worked out well 40+ years ago and now."

Been thinking about that for mine. How much of the finish or blueing is damaged when you silver solder to the sight? Unfortunately my gun has been refinished already and I am worried about messing it up. Would soft solder hold a piece of rod on the sight? Did you put the rod on so that it looks like a bead sight? Is 1/16" a good size? Thanks for any further information.

medicdave

Blackhawk
What's wrong with swapping out the front sight? The stainless is a nos micro, the blue is custom made pinned in the base. I shoot a patridge sight much better than any ramp.

s4s4u

Hunter
ph_redhawk said:
I had that problem with my ancient Blackhawk 357. I silver soldered a piece of 1/16" brazing rod atop the front sight. That worked out well 40+ years ago and now.

I know a guy who installed a small shotgun bead on top of his front sight to achieve the same result.