9mm LCR and Factory Ammo Jumping Crimp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Axehandle

Buckeye
You guys seen any factory ammo recommendation from Ruger for the 9mm LCR. We've had one on the range from day one. Pretty much everything jumps crimp for us...

NVSeabee

Bearcat
I haven't had any problems with any crimp jump with my LCR9. I've shot commercial reloads, WWB, and yesterday at the range tested 3 different carry loads with no problems. The defense loads tested were Federal 9BPLE 115 gr +p+, Rem Golden Saber 124 gr +p and Federal HST 147 gr.

Good luck in your search but these have worked for me.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i've had freedom 115 grain move some but the 124, 135, 147 did not. the hornady american gunner 115 grain xtp hasn't jumped either and its my carry ammo.

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
Sorry to butt in here, but I do not think that any ammo for auto pistols are crimped in any way. Since they headspace on the leading edge of the case, a crimp would roll that edge, making it impossible to properly headspace. TD

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
Semi-auto handgun ammunition is taper crimped which is unlike revolver ammo which is roll crimped. I have never shot or owned the Ruger LCR9 but have shot 9mm autos and have never had bullets jump crimp. I would speculate a weak recoil spring if you were shooting an auto but a revolver......... Beats me

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
in my lcr 9mm i found freedom munitions reman 115 grain ammo jumped some but not enough to come completely out of the case or bind up the gun. the freedom reman 124,135, and 147 grain did not move as i could tell eye balling them. i don't have any calipers to be sure but they looked ok after firing 3-4 rds and checking the others. the hornady american gunner 115 grain xtp which is my carry ammo does not move as well. i continue to test ammo when i can and so far in my gun the cheaper 115 ammo is not as good as the higher grain cheap ammo.

mchura

Bearcat
I experienced the same with factory ammunition. I reload 9mm, and my Lee die set has a "factory" crimp that allows me to tighten it up a bit. Light gun, high pressure round, I still have a crimp jump every now and then although much less than when firing factory ammo. I now have an LCR 327. Ballistics at 115 grain very similar to 9mm, but with 6 rounds instead of 5.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
My experience with crimp jump has been to hold that little LCR different to reduce the recoil the unspent cartridges receive. Lighter weight bullets help too.

rjn

Bearcat
Hornady 115gr Critical Defense will not jump crimp. I used RCBS bullet impact puller to test various rounds and I am very confident, enough to trust my life, that these will not be a problem.

Axehandle

Buckeye
FWIW Contacted Ruger... They say there is not a problem with jumping crimp with the 9mm LCR. Sent the range gun to Ruger and drew a new one form stock to replace it. New one jumps crimp with ALL factory ammo just like the other one.

woodsy

Blackhawk
To me, it sounds like the shooter(s) have a hard time preventing recoil movement. When the gun recoils (as a revolver will, in an upward direction) the 9mm bullets in their cases are subject to a force they are not designed to resist. In a semi-auto, those same 9mm rounds are subject to much less upward "whip". In the revolver, the taper crimp may not be enough to keep the bullets from moving. One could switch to lighter bullets (like 90 grain, etc.) to prevent the "crimp jump". Or, and this is a radical concept, use a revolver with revolver-designed cartridges, like the .38 special, etc.

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
Not to be rude, but just inquisitive.? Exactly what purpose does it serve to buy a self defense (CCW) revolver in a semi-auto pistol chambering, when the available configurations in revolver cartridge chamberings have the flexibility to equal or exceed the published ballistic specs for the semi-auto ammunition to start with, out of a snub revolver ? What will be accomplished by choosing an Auto cartridge. I really would like to know the logic behind the choice. I just have never really understood that choice. Unless I had access to free 9mm ammo, it just escapes logic to me. I mean .38 Spl., .38+P .38+P+, .357 Mag. loaded up, or down all the spectrum of bullets or propellants !??
"Inquiring Minds Want to Know."

JMHO

Jim

Axehandle

Buckeye
Beats me... :shock: We have one on the range because my employer sells them in the store. The people I see trying them are usually looking for something that shoots the 9mm ammo that a semi auto they or someone in their household already owns..

contender

Ruger Guru
41 Magnum,,, the concept of buying a revolver in a caliber made for a semi-auto goes back to the days of LEO's being issued a semi over the traditional revolver. They wanted a B/U gun in the same caliber as their duty gun, and were allowed to choose whatever B/U gun they wanted. Due to being familiar with the tried & true, darn near infallible, familiar revolver,,, they wanted them.

At least,,, that's what I understood for many years.

I used to win a few bets with folks who argued with me saying that "There ain't no revolvers in 9mm!" I'd politely provide a Speed-Six in 9mm. AND,,, if they persisted in arguing the facts,,, I'd provide the factory paperwork.

Now,,, it's much more common.

Axe,,, that crimp jumping is a pure puzzle. I'm sure you have tried various types of 9mm,,, and such. I own a LC9 but it's still new. I haven't taken it out to shoot & see how it does. I was kinda wondering if I should. Now,,, I may have to,,, just to see what happens.

Axehandle

Buckeye
So that we don't confuse anyone it is the 9mm LCR (revolver) not LC9 (semiauto). FWIW My thought is if you want a 9mm LCR to complete your set, buy it. If you want a personal protection gun look at something else.

rjn

Bearcat
A question seems to be "Why by a LCR in 9mm". I had that same question before I bought mine.

I like revolvers for their simplicity and if I ever need one then the simpler the better. I never want to second guess "is there one in the chamber" when fraction of seconds may count. I don't want to ever worry about 'leaving one in the chamber' when I set it aside. I know a FTF is resolved by a another trigger pull.

I was perusing my LGS and saw a used 9mm that was basically brand new but $100 off. Owner told me a person bought two of the LCR's in 9mm, tried them both out, then kept one and sold back the other. {Seems crazy to me since there was nothing wrong with this particular LCR}

I did some reading and found that the 9mm in the LCR has decent ballistics, better than 38 spcl and less than 357M. I measured across chrony and verified this. Essentially the free bore of the cylinder acts as barrel extension.

I find that I shoot the 9mm LCR way better then my SP101 in 357M.

Then you get to the moon clips and this is what I consider the big advantage of the 9mm to be over the 38/357. When I drop the moonclip in then things are ready to go. When I pull it out the LCR is safe. No second guessing, very quick, very positive, no fumbling with individual cartridges.

Now most 9mm rounds do not have a crimp groove and use a slight taper crimp. Crimp jump, as some call it, can occur. The Hornady 115gr critical defense does has a crimp groove and does not move under recoil.

Other brands and my own reloads may move under recoil, depending. I don't care because I carry with Hornady's and plink with my own reloads or cheapy ammo.

I would not consider buying a revolver in 9mm to use as an everyday shooter but in the LCR for pocket carry I think it is perfect for me.

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
I suppose I can somewhat understand a "9" revolver as a backup, for someone carrying a 9mm duty weapon, & share spare ammo.

But as a primary defense weapon, I think I'd still opt out for something in a little more traditional revolver cartridge, that will perform as well as, or better than a 9mm in that application. I guess in the final run, it really comes down to a personal preference.

s4s4u

Hunter
Then you get to the moon clips and this is what I consider the big advantage of the 9mm to be over the 38/357. When I drop the moonclip in then things are ready to go. When I pull it out the LCR is safe. No second guessing, very quick, very positive, no fumbling with individual cartridges.

Moonclips have their advantages but can be a detriment similar to the good ole M1 Garand in that you can't "top off" the cylinder if you shoot a couple rounds, although it may be a rare situation. Spare moonclips are a bit harder to carry concealed than speed strips or loose ammo as well. There are pros and cons with either.