9mm LCR and Factory Ammo Jumping Crimp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rob72

Bearcat
41 Magnum said:
Not to be rude, but just inquisitive.? Exactly what purpose does it serve to buy a self defense (CCW) revolver in a semi-auto pistol chambering, when the available configurations in revolver cartridge chamberings have the flexibility to equal or exceed the published ballistic specs for the semi-auto ammunition to start with, out of a snub revolver ? What will be accomplished by choosing an Auto cartridge. I really would like to know the logic behind the choice. I just have never really understood that choice. Unless I had access to free 9mm ammo, it just escapes logic to me. I mean .38 Spl., .38+P .38+P+, .357 Mag. loaded up, or down all the spectrum of bullets or propellants !??
"Inquiring Minds Want to Know."

JMHO

Jim

Generally what 41 alluded to- someone has 9mm autos, and has the revolver itch. Some people find revos less intimidating, and so want one rather than the "other's" auto. I've used and worked on products from all major manufacturers. My defensive arms are autos, but occasionally, I will drop a 5 shot in my pocket. I worked up mine simply because it would be one of a very few "pretty" guns, and putting it all together was just plain fun. :)

Cal44

Bearcat
Rob72 said:
41 Magnum said:
Not to be rude, but just inquisitive.? Exactly what purpose does it serve to buy a self defense (CCW) revolver in a semi-auto pistol chambering, when the available configurations in revolver cartridge chamberings have the flexibility to equal or exceed the published ballistic specs for the semi-auto ammunition to start with, out of a snub revolver ? What will be accomplished by choosing an Auto cartridge. I really would like to know the logic behind the choice. I just have never really understood that choice. Unless I had access to free 9mm ammo, it just escapes logic to me. I mean .38 Spl., .38+P .38+P+, .357 Mag. loaded up, or down all the spectrum of bullets or propellants !??
"Inquiring Minds Want to Know."

JMHO

Jim

Generally what 41 alluded to- someone has 9mm autos, and has the revolver itch. Some people find revos less intimidating, and so want one rather than the "other's" auto. I've used and worked on products from all major manufacturers. My defensive arms are autos, but occasionally, I will drop a 5 shot in my pocket. I worked up mine simply because it would be one of a very few "pretty" guns, and putting it all together was just plain fun. :)

A couple more reasons for considering a 9mm revolver.

The ammo is cheaper. More research goes into new factory loads for 9mm that any other caliber.

Some people like moon clips for speed in reloading. While there are moon clipped versions of 38 special and 357 magnum revolvers available, they are expensive and hard to find.

9mm is an efficient cartridge out of a short barrel.

45 acp revolvers are among best target and competition revolvers available, and have been for 50+ years.

Ammoman78

Single-Sixer
I've been wanting one of these as well but most likely won't because of the jump crimp issue. I've read about this issue online and don't feel confident enough to buy one. I'll stick with the 357 lcr.