contour on early grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crsides

Bearcat
I have read some posts here talking about the contour of the early flattop grips. Can someone explain what it looks like and where they are contoured.

Charlie

Joe S.

Hunter
By early flattop grips I'm guessing you are referring to the old model flattops, and not the early new model flattops?

The only old model flattop I've had had factory black plastic/ rubber grips that had the same contour as the others.

The grip frame is smaller, and that may be what you are referring to. They are the XR3 frames. Basically, where your pinky sits when firing the gun is shorter and more forward, similar to the Colt SAAs.

street

Hunter
Here is an explanation of the early contour grips for the XR3 grip frame. I copied this from Dougan's "Know Your Ruger Single Action Revolvers 1953-63", page 71. The picture that he has doesn't do a very good job of showing the contour, but if you look at the arrow then imagine taking a small sanding disk and take as much wood off both sides of the frame there as you can without getting into the frame. If you look at the grip frame from directly behind it then you can see the contours very clearly. It's a shame that the camera wasn't directly behind the two revolvers then it would have showed it clearly. Dougan also states that these grips lasted till 1959 but I think that that is a little long as you don't see them very often.

412874380.jpg