Old Model 3 screw Blackhawk project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WarKingDread

Bearcat
Howdy folks.

I posted this gun recently as I was considering purchasing it. I did end up buying it for $325.00 and am very happy I did so.

It is an unconverted old model which as you can see has some pretty serious finish issues.

I've read about removing the bluing with vinegar and then perhaps polishing it.

My questions are will removing the bluing and polishing it have any negatives attached to it? Will the gun be more prone to wear, rust etc. I'm not concerned with impacting the value of the gun by removing the bluing as it is already beat up and was an inexpensive purchase.

The gun will be shot allot and I just want it to look less beat up.

What thoughts, concerns and suggestions can you share?

IMG_0297_zpsa4hupq2y.jpg

WarKingDread

Bearcat
I can't argue that mentality other than I'd like it to look better and a simple little gun project sounds fun.

Are their any downsides other than preference of blued versus shiny metal?

WarKingDread

Bearcat
hunter966 said:
Dang, I wish I could find a deal like that. Nice snag.

Thank you. I was excited to find it. Am just getting into this and am in love with Ruger Single Actions.

Others on the forum were very helpful in making me understand that this was a no Rainer purchase.

It shoots far better than I do.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Personally I think taking off the finish and ending up with "polished" metal is a huge negative just in itself. Of course it will be more prone to rust and harder to maintain "in the white". That is why guns were blued to start with. But that is just me. Maybe I am just missing it, but I do not see any rust on that gun? Or a whole lot of finish damage.

WarKingDread

Bearcat
woodperson said:
Personally I think taking off the finish and ending up with "polished" metal is a huge negative just in itself. Of course it will be more prone to rust and harder to maintain "in the white". That is why guns were blued to start with. But that is just me. Maybe I am just missing it, but I do not see any rust on that gun? Or a whole lot of finish damage.

Based on your guy's responses I'm leaving it alone. You are correct that there is no rust. It's just the finish that's not great. Allot of scratches and although not visible in the pic, the chamber is oddly splotchy in places.

jmar

Bearcat
You can get some cold blue and rub it over the entire gun. It'd get rid of all the scratches. Then you can sand and refinish the grips, with just that it should look pretty nice.

contender

Ruger Guru
First,,, you did get one heck of a good deal. In fact, a buddy of mine who lurks here mentioned seeing your earlier posts & commented on how he couldn't recall seeing a shooter like that as cheap as you got it. He's bought several with a little help from me hooking him up with Forum members. Also, like others above,,, all I see is a solid shooter grade gun you wouldn't have to worry about actually using. If the gun is stripped, and "in the white" you are exposing the metal to potential rust issues. Bluing was created to help prevent such things.
I recently bought an OM 45 that was in a LOT worse shape than yours. It had been left to rust & has a lot of pitting in many places. While the gun had been rescued & was no longer subjected to such neglect, it is considered a shooter as well. But I wanted to do something to help prevent the further spreading of potential rusting & pitting. I had the gun stripped, bead blasted, and Cerakoted. Now, the gun looks better, but you can still see where the pitting is,,, but now,,, it has a protective finish applied.
Your gun has MINOR issues as compared to mine. Now, if the grip frame is an issue,,, you can strip it,,, as it's an aluminum alloy, and as such, be stripped & not suffer the potential effects of rusting. Many folks have stripped the grip frames & polished the aluminum to a nice shiny surface. You can also do this with the ejector rod housing if you wish. Once done that way,,, many of us call these guns "Pinto's" due to the dual colors.
But the issues I see in your picture are what most of us would call "character" of a gun that was used as Bill Ruger built them for.
Just my measley 0.02 cents worth.

Joe S.

Hunter
I wouldnt polish it and leave it bare. But that would make a fine candidate for a high polish blue, case hardened frame, and fire blue screws.

WarKingDread

Bearcat
Thanks for the perspective Contender. It was you I believe who most prompted me to purchase the Ruger.

WarKingDread

Bearcat
Joe S. said:
I wouldnt polish it and leave it bare. But that would make a fine candidate for a high polish blue, case hardened frame, and fire blue screws.

This sounds very interesting. How do I go about getting that done?

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
If you would like it to look nice, I would send it to Ruger for a reblue. Taking all the finish off would really hurt the resale value, in my opinion much more than a factory reblue. They will convert it to the transfer bar safety, but if you don't like that just put the old parts back in it.
Ron

WarKingDread

Bearcat
2sheriffs said:
If you would like it to look nice, I would send it to Ruger for a reblue. Taking all the finish off would really hurt the resale value, in my opinion much more than a factory reblue. They will convert it to the transfer bar safety, but if you don't like that just put the old parts back in it.
Ron

I've thought about that and would love how nice it would look but, and I guess this is silly, I don't want them stamping an R on it.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Not pushing for you to send it to Ruger. But I did do one that way. The mailer they send for the "conversion" is worth about $60 in free shipping. They charge around $80 to reblue and refinish the metal. You likely will never see the R. It is under the gripframe supposedly. I took the grip frame off of mine when it came back and I still could not see the R. I did the whole monty and had them install a steel grip frame and extractor housing. (This was on a .41 Mag). They did send back the old parts but I would not take that chance again.

Now for the other side. I now have a perfectly refinished Ruger that I do not like the looks of as well as I did when it was beat up. Mine was much worse than yours and had a lot of pitting on the cylinder and very deep digs in the frame and extractor housing so I felt I had to do it. It looked like it had ridden many miles in the bottom of a tool box in a truck. You can only use that free mailer once. So there is a fairly cheap option is you want it refinished by Ruger. In my mind not sending it back increases the value because of the one time free shipping to them. I do not think that a Ruger refinished OM will sell for much more than one in the condition of yours. The finish is different than on the OM's. It seems many people are looking for a OM .357 as a build platform so they are good with the beatup gun.

Maybe the thing to do is just keep it and shoot it for a while. You certainly did good buying it. I am looking for a OM .357 right now and I think you got a good deal. You can be thinking about your options. Maybe you will run across a refinisher that does good work. How does it shoot? You can get some Ortho Blue from Brownel's to use on the steel for touch up.

Joe S.

Hunter
WarKingDread said:
Joe S. said:

This sounds very interesting. How do I go about getting that done?
Tyler Gun Works could oblige.

Bobby is a member here and does excellent work. I'll see if i can dig up some of his posts.

Joe S.

Hunter
eric conrad said:
You could send it to Bobby Tyler. tyler4656 on the forum.
Bobby does Excellent work. Great prices and quick turn around.
http://www.tylergunworks.com
Eric

Didn't realize you had replied. Thanks.

Here is an example of his work.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=244609&p=2455975&hilit=Tyler#p2455975

Joe S.

Hunter
woodperson said:
Maybe the thing to do is just keep it and shoot it for a while. You certainly did good buying it. I am looking for a OM .357 right now and I think you got a good deal. You can be thinking about your options. Maybe you will run across a refinisher that does good work.

Not a bad idea for sure. You may think of other things you want do e before having it refinished.