Old Model 3 screw Blackhawk project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
On a different subject, but relevant to the "project gun" aspect....
Unless your gun's hammer was sitting on it's "safety notch" when that picture was taken, it's perty-safe bet that you're going to be needing a new trigger.

DGW

WarKingDread

Bearcat
woodperson said:
How does it shoot? You can get some Ortho Blue from Brownel's to use on the steel for touch up.

Good info.

It shoots great. Possibly better than my brand new Blackhawk also in 357.

I do really love the gun and it does seem that the use it's finish implies is growing on me. I'm not concerned about its values, just that it is fun to look at and shoot.

So much to think about.

WarKingDread

Bearcat
eric conrad said:
You could send it to Bobby Tyler. tyler4656 on the forum.
Bobby does Excellent work. Great prices and quick turn around.
http://www.tylergunworks.com
Eric

This I will look into. thank you

WarKingDread

Bearcat
Joe S. said:
eric conrad said:
You could send it to Bobby Tyler. tyler4656 on the forum.
Bobby does Excellent work. Great prices and quick turn around.
http://www.tylergunworks.com
Eric

Didn't realize you had replied. Thanks.

Here is an example of his work.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=244609&p=2455975&hilit=Tyler#p2455975

Holy crap that's gorgeous!

WarKingDread

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
Unless your gun's hammer was sitting on it's "safety notch" when that picture was taken, it's perty-safe bet that you're going to be needing a new trigger.

DGW

Can you elaborate, I know nothing of these things.

WarKingDread

Bearcat
Thanks to all who have taken the time to share their knowledge. This has really turned out to be fun for me.

I bought my first firearm two years ago, a Remington 870.

I purchased my first handgun one year ago, a Colt 1911.

Since that time I have become a Ruger fan obsessed with the single actions.

My Ruger Family:

Ruger 10/22
Ruger American Rifle - .22 cal bolt action.
Ruger Precision Rifle in .308
Ruger SR22
New Model Lipsey's Ruger Blackhawk 357 / 22 convertible.
And the 3 screw subject of this topic.

It was so cool coming across this old gun. It was a few weeks after I bought the NM and had just started learning about the history of the Blackhawks, 3 screw, Flat Tops, Transfer bars etc. When in my LGS I now look in the used section primarily and that is how I found this. It was on the bottom shelf in the rear of the store behind the other showcased used guns. I did know enough at this time that it was a 3 screw and checked immediately for the transfer bar status. I was excited to hold one after having started reading about them and was shocked when I asked the price. Apparently they have had this gun on that shelf for about a year.

This is when I got less excited, I figured for sure it could only be sitting there that long at that price if it had some serious issues with it. So I posted it here and got some great responses which lead me to jump on the purchase.

I am just so glad that I grabbed what apparently no one in my area had any interest in. I bet it seems funny that while I know this is no collectors find, no amazing unearthing of a rare gem, but to me, it has kind of turned into that.

I've got a hunger that can only be satisfied with old Ruger single action revolvers.

At the Forum's suggestion I sent a message to Bobby Tyler at http://www.tylergunworks.com to get his thoughts on doing some work on my worn 3 screw. We shall see what we can see.

Thanks!

Ken

gtxmonte

Buckeye
I second or third or whatever it is on Bobby Tyler. He has done several for me and his work is impeccable. If that were mine I would do the high polish alum of the grip frame and let Bobby reblue the rest.

I haven't let him case harden one for me yet......but that's next. I am all about personalizing my guns. I just chopped the barrel and installed a brass grip frame on an old model 44 mag flat top

WarKingDread

Bearcat
gtxmonte said:
I second or third or whatever it is on Bobby Tyler. He has done several for me and his work is impeccable. If that were mine I would do the high polish alum of the grip frame and let Bobby reblue the rest.

I haven't let him case harden one for me yet......but that's next. I am all about personalizing my guns. I just chopped the barrel and installed a brass grip frame on an old model 44 mag flat top

Yep. I'm leaning this way. Thinking of case hardening in the charcoal scheme. A brass grip frame would be awesome.

DGW1949

Hunter
WarKingDread said:
DGW1949 said:

DGW

Looking at the photo, it's obvious to me that the trigger is much further-forward than it should be. The only two reasons that I know of for that is....either the hammer has been pulled back to it's "safety notch" (I can't tell from the photo), or the sear-edge of the trigger is either broken or worn past it's serviceable limit.

Just saying that it might be something that you want to investigate.

DGW

WarKingDread

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
WarKingDread said:
DGW1949 said:

DGW

Looking at the photo, it's obvious to me that the trigger is much further-forward than it should be. The only two reasons that I know of for that is....either the hammer has been pulled back to it's "safety notch" (I can't tell from the photo), or the sear-edge of the trigger is either broken or worn past it's serviceable limit.

Just saying that it might be something that you want to investigate.

DGW

Thank you DGW! I looked into it and the hammer was pulled back.

WarKingDread

Bearcat
Update. I know you are all on the edge of your seats lol

I spoke with Bob Tyler today. I'm sending him the Ruger tomorrow.

Bob is going to strip and polish the grip frame and hammer.

Prep and cold case harden the Gun frame

Prep and blue the cylinder and barrel.

He gave me a contact to order a custom set of stag grips.

This thing should be gorgeous when all is said and done.

And when I get it I'm going to shoot the heck out of it.

I'm putting more money into it than I spent to buy it and I'm thrilled about it. It probably sounds stupid but hey. I'm no genius lol

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Good for you, it will look great. I personally get tired of hearing the "its got character, I would leave it alone" comments. Character is just code for it's beat up. Some may like their guns beat up, but I am not one of them. I have guns that are older than I am with thousands of rounds through them and they are not beat all to crap, so one with lots of so called "character" has just plain been mistreated in most cases. I choose to rescue those

Joe S.

Hunter
He does great work. He made this set for my Uberti Lightning.

mmm1gl.jpg