Blackhaws- current production vs. old

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hunter966

Single-Sixer
Hi all,
I've got an itch and am thinking about picking up a Blackhawk in 45 Colt and am wondering if there is any differences in the newer production ones compared to the older ones.

I'm not talking about any flat tops just the ones that if I got a wild hair and enough guts I could load up some Ruger only loads.

I am thinking about one in 4 5/8 or 5 1/2 for carrying while feeding cattle and hunting this winter.

Thanks I appreciate it, hunter966

isaactc

Bearcat
I would think there are fellows with far more experience than me, especially regarding the "older models". I have a early 1970's 7 1/2" Blackhawk and a new Bisley 5 1/2" Blackhawk, both in .45 Colt. I have loaded them both up to 1150 fps. with 262 grn. cast "Keith" bullets ahead of Bullseye. I realize that these are not "hot" loads, but I am confident they will handle anything I run into in the Michigan woods. At this power level they are still pleasant to shoot and accurate. I would think any .45 Colt Blackhawk should handle Ruger only loads. Good luck!

Blackhawks, Bisley Blackhawks, as well as the original "old" model of the Vaquero are beefy and can handle about any loads, hot or not....its the "newer" smaller frames or the NEW Vaquero that are dimensionally smaller.
you want a "short" 45 like one of these.........

8) :roll: :wink:

SAJohn

Hunter
I have it on good authority from a retired Ruger engineer that the old three screw models were made to tighter tolerances than new models guns. What this means is that, on average, a old model will yield both higher velocity and pressure for a given load than will a new model and be somewhat more accurate.

That being said, I do have a new model Blackhawk in .45 Colt and it is a sweetheart. Mine has the 5.5 " barrel and has perfect balance.

I can safely get 325 grain lead bullets up to 1250 fps using H110 when hunting T Rex. My kill-a-tin can load uses Unique powder and 250 grain bullets at 800 fps with 1.5 inch groups.

It is very satisfying to reload this Old West big case cartridge and shoot it at .44 magnum levels of performance. Elmer Keith is smiling.

John

Latest posts