LCR Internal Lock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
This had probably been discussed ad nauseum, but for some reason the search function doesn't work for me. So please bear with me for a couple of questions.

I bought a used LCR .38 today. Manufactured in 2009. Looks like new. $350 OTD. I was suprised to see an internal lock when I took off the grips to do a through cleaning. The IL doesn't bother me, but I did not receive any keys for the lock. Again not too concerned as I'm sure Ruger will provide them. Google Fu turned up a couple of posts on other forums with owners saying they filled the lock with red loctite which will render the lock inoperable. So now my qustions: 1) do I need a key 2) is filling the lock with loctite a good idea 3) any problem with doing nothing and just shoot the heck out of it.

Not really wanting to start a debate on the pros/cons of ILs. I own it and as long as it functions a Ruger should I'll keep. Not my first firearm with a lock probably won't be my last.

NikA

Buckeye
I would do nothing. There is not any documentation that I have seen about the Ruger locks failing in the way the S&W ILS do and locking up the gun. The point of Ruger putting the lock under the grips is so that you don't have to think about it if you don't want to.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
NikA said:
The point of Ruger putting the lock under the grips is so that you don't have to think about it if you don't want to.
+1

I bought a 38 Special LCR new and have had zero problems with the lock. Pretty much forgot it was there until reading this post reminded me.
Not sure where the keys are, actually, so I am in the same situation you are but without any concern for the lock.

Cordite

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies. Hoped to make it to the range today but life got in the way. Maybe tomorrow. I did order a Mika pocket holster and am considering changing out the front sight to help out my aging eyes.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
I have two LCRs, a 9mm and a .327. I just downloaded the LCR users manual again. Not word about any internal lock. I Я mystified.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
5Wire said:
I have two LCRs, a 9mm and a .327. I just downloaded the LCR users manual again. Not word about any internal lock. I Я mystified.

Ruger did away with the internal locks a few years ago. So newer models won't have them.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
rammerjammer said:
5Wire said:

Ruger did away with the internal locks a few years ago. So newer models won't have them.
Whew! I thought I was losing it. Thanks.

5of7

Hunter
Just a thought: If it were mine, and I was going to use it for personal defense, I would not do anything to it at all.

The reason is that in must SD shootings, a civil suit follows the event and even if there is no doubt about the legality of the shoot, the families attorney will point to whatever was done to alter the gun as a sign that the shooter was looking for an opportunity to test his/her modification.....whether it had anything to do with the shoot or not.

Remember, this will be a civil suit and only a preponderance of the evidence counts, not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Anything that he/she can point to could swing the suit in favor of the deceased and/or his family. 8)

chet15

Hawkeye
rammerjammer said:
5Wire said:

Does anybody have any idea when this happened???
I don't have an instruction manual handy, but maybe it tells a serial number change somewhere in there.
Chet15

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I had a Talo LCR with a lock and now have a standard LCR without one. The positive thing not having the lock is the slightly lighter weight. I wouldn't do anything to the lock, BUT I would call Ruger to get some keys just in case.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have left mine in my Lipsey 45ACP/45 Colt convertible but the keys are in the box the gun came in so would have to dig it out of storage. There was the thread where the piece out of a Bearcat would fit in these and you could toss the lock, or just buy the new part since the lock is gone in the new ones.