GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lesau

Bearcat
I have the opportunity to purchase an as new gp100 4 inch 357 mag with the hogue grip. Has had an unbelievable trigger job. Has not been fired much. Has everything that came with it, asking $600. Does that seem like a good deal?

E

Single-Sixer
Blued or stainless? Brand new blued around here run between $550 and $600, and brand new stainless run between $625 and $700. Depends how much value you put on the trigger job.

hittman

Staff member
Seems a little high to me but I'm sure prices vary from region to region.

Also, at least for me, the "trigger job" is a HUGE turn off. I gotta buy this assuming I'll need parts to make it original and reliable again.

wolfee

Blackhawk
A little bit high--if the trigger job is important to you. If not, then a little more than a little bit too high. btw, my GP trigger lightened/smoothed more than any other gun I can remember after about 400-500 rounds. Not like a "trigger job" but the difference between new out of the box and now is a lot in single action.

Lesau

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. The trigger job is a must, as I had a neurological issue 20 years ago that left me with some diminished finger strength. I cannot shoot most da triggers. Most of my guns are single action only or striker fired, both of which I can shoot just fine. I can shoot the gp100 in da, which is why I am interested. I want a 357 revolver that I can shoot double action and single action.

If the trigger job on that gun works for you then it is worth the price(for you) as long as it functions properly. For an extra $120 or so you can get a new GP100 Match Champion which has a pretty darn good trigger right out of the box, if that's in your budget I would recommend getting one of those in your hands and see how it works for you, that way you would have a gun the is certain to function properly and be warrantied by Ruger.

jimd441

Blackhawk
A few years ago I wise member here (I don't remember who) gave me some good advice. I had a new GP 100 and the advice was to dry fire it several hundred times. I felt the trigger pull in both da and sa "before" and "after" and there really was noticeable difference.

Jim

brushunter

Single-Sixer
I'm sort of the opinion of most here. Seems a little high ... depending ... I'm in western Pa , most pre owned GPs are going for around $500.00, give or take. A little higher at dealers. I just bought a new GP-100 in .22 several months ago ... $610 plus tax and fees. On the subject of the trigger job ... go with caution. If the job was done professionally by someone you trust ... might be OK , but many average jjoes try to perform trigger jobs and make the gun unsafe. I've found simply changing springs and "cleaning things up " works well for me. Also , if it hasn't been fired much , several sessions of dry firing will do wonders.
regards , brushunter

Are you sure a trigger job was done on it? My RedHawk out of the box was buttery smooth. I would think that could happen also with the GP-100. I had a blued GP-100 that had a good trigger also. If I had the $600, and wanted/needed that gun, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Good luck.
gramps

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Lesau said:
Thanks for the replies. The trigger job is a must, as I had a neurological issue 20 years ago that left me with some diminished finger strength. I cannot shoot most da triggers......... I can shoot the gp100 in da, which is why I am interested. I want a 357 revolver that I can shoot double action and single action.
If the da trigger pull is that much lower than stock, are you SURE the gun will fire reliably. Very light trigger pulls often go hand-in-hand with light hammer falls and ignition failures.

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
I bought a GP100 new in 1989 and have shot it a lot. 10's of thousands of rounds. I bought and sold another one during that time, and I have an SP101. They don't need much, if any trigger work. For the physical challenge described, I would recommend buying new, and swapping springs - no stoning or angle modification needed. You can keep track of what's been done, and know exactly how to undo it, if you ever want to.

What does a new one cost in your area without the trigger job? Unless a price is very out of line, when I find a gun I want I try to negotiate down, and buy it. Either you want it or you don't. Don't miss out on a nice gun you want, for a few bucks.

Pal Val

Buckeye
The way I see it, if that trigger job makes it possible for you to shoot well while it would be hard to shoot well without it, it no longer is an option. Call it an adaptive modification. It's worth every penny you pay for it.