Ruger 3 Screw Blackhawk Should I buy it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WarKingDread

Bearcat
Hello folks - new here and kind of new to revolvers. I have a new model Ruger Blackhawk which I love. Today I found an old 3 screw without the transfer bar update at my LGS. It looks to be very worn and used but feels like it is in great mechanical condition.

Was wondering if I should spend the $325.00 to purchase it?

IMG_0297_zpsg7smc9bo.jpg

IMG_0298_zpsgidje11g.jpg

WarKingDread

Bearcat
Ok lol. It does seem outwardly a bit beat up but I feel like I still need it

Was looking for some convincing.

hittman

Staff member
Heck, it may be worth the asking price in parts alone.

Throw it in the truck and take it to the farm. No worries about scratching it. She'll shoot for your lifetime and that of your kids and their kids ... etc .....

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Actually you should have already bought it. I hope you do not learn a lesson here. Lots of things to do with an unconverted OM.

WarKingDread

Bearcat
woodperson said:
Actually you should have already bought it. I hope you do not learn a lesson here. Lots of things to do with an unconverted OM.

Now I'm even more interested. What kinds of things would I do?

SAJohn

Hunter
Welcome to the forum, you came to the right place.

A popular thing to do goes back to the 1960's when the gun writer Skeeter Skelton wrote an article on converting Ruger single action .357 revolvers to .44 special. Several current gunsmiths still do this work.

I bought one on this forum some years ago that had been dry fired about to death. With forum members help, I replaced a worn out part, shimmed the action, installed a custom cylinder pin, and did a trigger job. That revolver is now the most accurate one I have ever owned, sometimes shooting sub half inch 5 shot groups.

With the pistol you are looking at, I estimate that the price in about $100 under the current market unless something serious is wrong with it.

John

WarKingDread

Bearcat
SAJohn said:
Welcome to the forum, you came to the right place.

A popular thing to do goes back to the 1960's when the gun writer Skeeter Skelton wrote an article on converting Ruger single action .357 revolvers to .44 special. Several current gunsmiths still do this work.

I bought one on this forum some years ago that had been dry fired about to death. With forum members help, I replaced a worn out part, shimmed the action, installed a custom cylinder pin, and did a trigger job. That revolver is now the most accurate one I have ever owned, sometimes shooting sub half inch 5 shot groups.

With the pistol you are looking at, I estimate that the price in about $100 under the current market unless something serious is wrong with it.

John

Thank you John.

I'm leaning heavily towards picking it up. I've rapidly fell in love with revolvers. I have a S&W model 28 and a Ruger New Model Blackhawk convertible. I really enjoy shooting both.

Very recently I've become obsessed with the OM 3 screw Blackhawks so was really excited to find an jnmodified one at my LGS.

I was slightly concerned by the cosmetic appearance, lots of serious wear and the grips are very old and tired lol.

But since everything feels smooth and tight I guess I can't really go wrong at $300

I have a very strong suspicion that it would quickly become my favorite shooter.

Ballplayer

Bearcat
There's a old poker players saying about playing a hand "think long-think wrong"...........don't think long on that pistol [wink]

WarKingDread

Bearcat
Ballplayer said:
There's a old poker players saying about playing a hand "think long-think wrong"...........don't think long on that pistol [wink]

Yep. Had I just bought the darned thing today I'd be shooting it tomorrow.

Because I live in NY now I'll have to wait until Monday to take possession.

I guess the rule of thumb I should use is if I see an I modified 3 screw and I have the money I should just buy it regardless of cosmetics.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
BUY IT!!!!!!!!!
OM 3 screw Blackhawks are desirable as both shooters & collectables. At $325,,, that's a fair deal even though it's a bit rough.
I recently bought a similar gun,, in worse shape,,, in 45 Colt for $325. It's currently getting a facelift. That one you are looking at is in better shape & you can tinker with it & make it look better,,, but you won't feel bad about using it.

Ballplayer

Bearcat
If your rebluing/refinishing you'll not get to enjoy the full enjoyment of owning it....cost-wise it will be prohibited unless you do it as a profession, if not touch it up yourself and enjoy it. Let the next generation of owners restore it at their expense. I was taught "If you want pretty .......buy pretty".

Spencer

Single-Sixer
Warking dead, where in NY are you? Fellow upstate NY'er here

I agree with the buy it mentality, I am trying to fill my stable with unconverted OM's. Personally I like Rugers that tell a story, and the grips certainly do. IMHO, I would keep those as is and find a nice custom pair to dress her up with. don't do anything to the original grips.
Good Luck with her!!!

WarKingDread

Bearcat
Spencer said:
Warking dead, where in NY are you? Fellow upstate NY'er here

I agree with the buy it mentality, I am trying to fill my stable with unconverted OM's. Personally I like Rugers that tell a story, and the grips certainly do. IMHO, I would keep those as is and find a nice custom pair to dress her up with. don't do anything to the original grips.
Good Luck with her!!!

Thank you Sir!

Unfortunately I'm down in Hellacious Nassau Couny on Long Island. In order to take possession of a handgun I have to jump through some hoops lol

Well there certainly are some stories in this specinen's history and it has become clear that I just need to make it mine.

Spencer

Single-Sixer
Sorry to hear that you are in Nassau county. My cousin lives on the eastern end of L.I. so I hear stories from him.

Definitely make that OM your own and keep posting pics!!!