Single Seven

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TJPopkin

Bearcat
Just received my Single-Seven 4.6", and working up loads. Have a modified Model 16-4 S&W 4" , rechambered by Bowens, to which I am comparing for accuracy with handloads. All suggestions are welcome…but accuracy is my standard..since velocities are useless if I do not hit at my POA.
For now, concentrating on 85g and 100g XTPs using H110 and Fed. small pistol primers, which seem OK, but going to try some hard cast 115gr. PbFN SWC. Anyone experimented with Power Pistol in the .327????

Here are my guns…..

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice!
I have a Blackhawk in 327, as well as the Single-Seven with a 7-1/2" bbl. I've used a fair number of Hornady XTP's in 100 grn. bullets,, but I also cast my own and powder coat them. I've not used any Power Pistol in them yet. I'm no help!

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
The very model of a modern retro design that makes it all work. I don't have a load to suggest for accuracy, I say go heavy for caliber and carry that beauty.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Has anybody thought of re-chambering a 327 Fed Mag gun to chamber a necked down 357 mag cartridge to a 32 cal bullet. Seems like there would be lots of cylinder strength. (not sure about the Single-Seven cylinder) Has this cartridge been invented yet? :D

TfflHndn

Bearcat
I haven't tried Power Pistol yet, but have made some very accurate loads with Longshot and HS-6 and 100 grain coated bullets from SNS Casting. If you have either powder, give 'em a try.

djw54

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
Has anybody thought of re-chambering a 327 Fed Mag gun to chamber a necked down 357 mag cartridge to a 32 cal bullet. Seems like there would be lots of cylinder strength. (not sure about the Single-Seven cylinder) Has this cartridge been invented yet? :D

Sort of. Lee Martin over At singleactions.com has the .327 Martin Meteor, which is a Maximum case trimmed to 1.5" and necked down. He did it for the Blackhawk, so might not fit in S7.

Rclark

Hunter
Nice! No help here as all I shoot in my 5 1/2" Single-Seven is .32 H&R Mag cartridges. The powder I settled on is AA#5 and bullet 115g RNFP. The 100g SWC shot well too. And all less than 1100fps. Haven't shot jacketed bullets for many years now.

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
Brian Pierce wrote a definitive article for HANDLOADER MAGAZINE, issue #294; February 2015. You really need it as a reference. I've got my worn copy in my lap as it peck this.
My 5.5" Single-7 wouldn't come close to the accuracy he got till I fire-lapped it. Now, it does!
I went from despising it to adoring it, with just 21 rounds fired!

Added; with the accuracy load he mentioned with the Hornady 100gr XTP and LongShot went from 5" at 25yds to under 2", shot off sandbags. He got his 1"groups from a ransom rest, and factory "massaged" loaner guns. For sure!

Heywatchthis

Bearcat
Got a 4 5/8 version that I just fired last week with Power Pistol and 100gr XTPs per Brian Pierces article.
No velocity data but I was using a mid-load and those things were stepping out. Clean burning, and for the few shots I took, very accurate. I only loaded 2 cylinders worth to try it out.
I replaced the sights with Williams Fire Sights and had the rear sight bottomed out.
One thing that was kind of interesting was that the only bullet I came close to recovering was a mangled shell of the XTP. I wish those Speer bullets made for the 327 were still available.

For what it's worth I have gotten in the habit of fire lapping every new Ruger revolver i get. I haven't done it yet on the Seven but that's next. I was too eager to see what kind of recoil these little guns have. And the recoil was just about nil.
These Sevens are small and powerful.

SWR

Single-Sixer
Ok, so I can read most anything till my eyes bug out. I also understand the basics of what fire lapping is. But, for us less experienced technical handloader types, exactly in plain english , steps 1-4 , how do you fire lap a Ruger revolver . Sometimes being clearly shown is way more informative than trying to comprehend a book

Steve

TJPopkin

Bearcat
There is some mention of "fire-lapping" here. Usually, that is done in precision rifles and is a technique of fireing successively diminishing abrasive projectiles through a bore. On a handgun, I use a technique that is similar, but done on the shop table. It was described to me by Dan Cooper, of Cooper Rifle fame. In fact, he advises that this technique be performed in the first 10 shots (and an hour) with the rifle. It really works on handguns.....

1. Clean the bore with solvent...I use a copper solvent like Shooters Choice. Then a dry patch. Wrap a patch around a bronze brush and coat with "J.B.Bore Cleaner"...a mild abrasive. Stroke the bore, back and forth, about 10-20 times....the bore gets warm. Clean again with solvent and dry patch...akin to what some do at the range.
2. fire shot #1
3. repeat step 1.
4. fire shots #2 & #3.
5. repeat step 1.
6. fire shots #4, #5, & #6
7. repeat step 1.
8. fire shots #7, #8, #9, and #10
9. repeat step 1.

The bore is now prepped...like fire lapping...and will shoot up to potential.

Terry

Latest posts