bullet lodged in LCR38 special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

billccm

Bearcat
Hello All:

I've owned my Ruger LCR38 special about five years. It's been a great carry weapon, and I shoot well with it.

At the gun range today, after about 30 rounds, I fired and sparks shot out of the cylinder in all directions and put burn marks on my hand. It was not pleasant.

I have a 38 special bullet now lodged in the exact center of the barrel.

Not sure what happened, or why. I was shooting Remington jacketed 38 special plain old target ammo. Fresh from the WalMart shelf.

I assume the next step is contact Ruger for an RMA?

Any advice, and/or opinions appreciated. Thanks, and have a nice day, Bill

use a short , 1/4 in or 5/16" wooden dowel or a brass or bronze rod, again, on the shorter side ( just a tad longer than the barrel) so as to NOT "flex" , and from the front, drive the bullet BACK< into the cylinder.....most of the times you don't even have to put it a sturdy vise, simply smack it on the bench ( hard surface) or use a leather or large plastic mallet..............hint, put a few drops of something like 'Kroil' in the barrel, both ends....helps to slick things down,there is NO need to ship it out or return to the factory.wish I had a nickel for every squib load we've ever removed from any gun, since the mid 1960's......... 8) :roll: :wink:

billccm

Bearcat
Thanks, but I guess I should have mentioned I've tried the wooden dowel. Just to add to the post, it looks as if the back of the slug is welded into the barrel.

s4s4u

Hunter
sparks shot out of the cylinder in all directions and put burn marks on my hand

It seems odd to me that a squib would shoot sparks out of the cylinder in all directions and burn your hand. Are you sure that you don't have two bullets stuck in the barrel? It wouldn't be the first time that an un-noticed squib was followed up by a second. That might explain the difficulty in backing out the bullet(s), and the slug looking as though it is welded in the barrel. It would have had some significant force behind it. Just a thought.

billccm

Bearcat
No, it's not two bullets.

The gun range supervisor also saw the sparks. He thought that maybe the cartridge was faulty, but we examined and it looked fine.

I placed the gun in my freezer for several hours thinking I could cause a contraction. I placed the gun in my vise and whacked away with a dowel. That slug is welded in the barrel!

I'll take it to the gunsmith Monday, and I'm certain he will tell me to return it to Ruger.

Kind of scary to me. Glad I just didn't squeeze off another round.

Once I get this gun fixed I'm trading it off. I'm done with little plastic handguns.

billccm

Bearcat
I can't really get a picture, but to describe the situation; the back of the slug looks as if it's soldered to the barrel. It has a few balls of molten metal adhering to the barrel itself.

hittman

Staff member
billccm said:
Once I get this gun fixed I'm trading it off. I'm done with little plastic handguns.

Whadda ya want for it? Heck, I'll send it to Ruger for a FREE fix or replacement and will shoot the heck out of it!

This is an ammo issue. Has nothing to do with the frame being polymer but .... to each their own.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
The sparks were probably the burning powder out being able to exit the bbl.
The same thing happened to me in my SRH454 when I got it. The guy gave me some ammo he had with the gun that someone loaded for him. They were cast bullets not loaded to full power. But I was able to push it out.
And I guess that's why you shouldn't trust other peoples reloads.

contender

Ruger Guru
I politely agree that your feelings about plastic guns is a bit misplaced. It's an ammo issue,,, not a gun issue.
As a USPSA Range Officer,,, as well as very active in a lot of handgunning,,, I've seen many, many cases where the bullets have become lodged in barrels. Plastic guns as well as steel ones. Doesn't matter the brand. Usually a squib,,, or occasionally a obstruction in the barrel causes it. And your description of the BACK of the bullet appearing to be welded,,, says that the heat, and or pressure caused by the ammo created this look. Your plastic gun held up to whatever happened.

5of7

Hunter
Once years ago, my oldest brother brought me a .38 Sp. which had 3 bullets lodged in the barrel. How it happened, I do not know, but it belonged to a friend of his.

I tried driving them out, and yes, I should have known better, there were after all, 3 bullets in the bbl. not one. It didn't work.

Then I removed the bbl. from the gun and took it to my youngest brother's machine shop. We made a bushing that fit the bore of the bbl, and had a 17/64 hole in the center. That guided a drill that we used to drill through all 3 bullets. Then we tapped the bullets 5/16-18 and with a piece of 5/16 threaded rod about a foot long, we were able to make a slide hammer and pulled then out of the muzzle one at a time.

Big brother wouldn't tell us who's gun it was because he didn't want us laughing at him. Apparently it was someone that we all knew. 8)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Go ahead and call Ruger and explain what happened. They will probably send you a shipping label and fix the gun for nothing. They may want to see the ammo box label and an empty shell. When you get it back all fixed up you will feel better about it. :D

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
s4s4u said:
sparks shot out of the cylinder in all directions and put burn marks on my hand

It seems odd to me that a squib would shoot sparks out of the cylinder in all directions and burn your hand. Are you sure that you don't have two bullets stuck in the barrel? It wouldn't be the first time that an un-noticed squib was followed up by a second. That might explain the difficulty in backing out the bullet(s), and the slug looking as though it is welded in the barrel. It would have had some significant force behind it. Just a thought.

Exactly my first thought also...

He followed a stuck bullet with a full power one...

rugerblackhawk.jpg

DGW1949

Hunter
billccm said:
I can't really get a picture, but to describe the situation; the back of the slug looks as if it's soldered to the barrel. It has a few balls of molten metal adhering to the barrel itself.

That "molten metal" is lead which came from the exposed-base of the bullet...and yeah, lead is a solder...so yeah, it's quite-possible that the bullet's jacket is indeed soldered to the barrel.

If you don't feel comfortable in dealing with it yourself, either hand it off to a good gunsmith or see if you can arrange for Ruger to fix it.
You may also want to contact Remington, explain what happened, and get their input. I'm perty-sure that they'll ask for the lot number that's printed on the box, so take care that you don't loose it.

DGW

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
I would call Remington and tell them what happened. Save the fired case and the bullet and the rest of the box of ammo and tell them you expect to get back what ever it costs you, plus something for your troubles. They will probably want you to send them the bullet, fired case and the rest of the box of ammo.
Ron

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Does anyone ever get them out with a wooden dowel? Seems like the successful extractions start with brass allthread.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
You need to find out weather there is more than one bullet in there or just one. Measurements from each end will tell you that. I would suggest a brass rod and heavy dead blow hammer if just one.
I saw a picture of a cutaway barrel from a Mac10 that was completely full of bullets
But the Mac10 is a blowback design and not a locked breech.

If there is more than one bullet in the barrel I would plead to Remington and Ruger for help and hope they will have pity on you. Good luck!

Latest posts