Ruger SP 101, 3"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

What is it about these guns that they seem to hold their value so well? Looking on CDNN Sports I see a new 3"er selling for $469.99. I assume there is a few bucks for shipping, but at a gun show this weekend I saw a used one for $535.00. It had the plastic box, but my gosh. No two ways around it they are popular and the used one for sale had a Hogue grip, and people seem to pay into the $500 range for used ones. Am I missing something. I won't be selling any of mine any time soon...Unless I can get $500 for them. :) Actually I have at least one that would take $700 that has been fixed up nice.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Everything's priced high at the gun shows around here! :) I really haven't noticed the 3" bringing any higher in my area, but the fact that the new shorter barrels sell more, leads to less used 3" on the market and may give the perception to some folks that they're rare.

Arky

Single-Sixer
I bought mine new about 4 years ago. It came with the Hogue grips. One of my Daughters has the 2 1/2in. The 3 in does seem to make the gun easier to shoot.
Even the 4in. ones are going for $500 plus around here. I do not think a lot of buyers are well informed. I have also seen a used LCP go for $250. New ones can be had in local shops for $229.

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
I always see them posted locally in the $450-$550 range, used. One locally went pretty quick, posted at $380. I don't understand some people's pricing, but whatever. It's always all over the place.

Chief, the prices are all over, good prices are few and far between. SP's are a home run for Ruger. They catch peoples imagination and they appeal to people visually. They are the perfect size, yet big enough to handle the recoil, (with a better grip) with a Hogue grip. The 3" barrel is a perfect match to the size. I'm sure Ruger is selling more of some guns, but they have to be selling a pile of SP's.

Prairie Fire

Bearcat
I have a pair of SP 101 3" revolvers in .327 magnum. To me they are the best all around revolver there is. Great balance, great size and more punch than I'll probably ever need. If I could only have one firearm this would be it. If you can find a good one buy it. You won't be disappointed. PF

FergusonTO35

Hunter
If Ruger would add a sixth round then yes, the SP would be the perfect carry revolver. Until then I'll just have to make do with my Rossi 461 which is almost identical in size and even uses the same holsters, has six rounds, has a waaayyy better trigger pull, and costs half as much. I know Rossi has made alot of junkers over the years but the 461 is not one of them.

Now, I do have a serious hankering for one of those new .22 LR SP-101's with 8 rounds on board.

WheelGunMan

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack said:
What is it about these guns that they seem to hold their value so well?

They are extremely well made and very dependable. They don't have the fit and finish of some other manufacturers, but you can run over them with your car and pick 'em up a keep on shooting.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
jic said:
What holsters work for the SP101, 3'' ?
Bianchi 7 Shadow 2 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/544217/bianchi-7-shadow-2-holster-right-hand-ruger-sp101-2-3-s-and-w-j-frame-3-barrel-leather-tan

...also they are like a small tank and they don't wear out. :D

jic

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
jic said:
What holsters work for the SP101, 3'' ?
Bianchi 7 Shadow 2 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/544217/bianchi-7-shadow-2-holster-right-hand-ruger-sp101-2-3-s-and-w-j-frame-3-barrel-leather-tan

...also they are like a small tank and they don't wear out. :D

Thanks for the info, I was able to find one local, so I didn't have to order from midway.
I did have to pay a couple of dollars more.

jic

Armybrat

Buckeye
The 3" SP101 at CDNN for $469.99 is the .38 Special, not the .357 Magnum:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-ksp101r-38-special-3-inch.html?___SID=U

Still a great gun at a good price. Occasionally GrabaGun has the 2" SP101 .357 on sale for $429 or $439.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
3 inch Rugers are not that rare more are sold in Southern states where shorter barrels are carried year round. I find that most dealers that overprice a used 3 inch is that they believe the gun is rare and worth more. Last gun show a dealer was selling used GP 100 fixed sight 3 inch for $725 and 3 tables away another dealer was selling new ones for $585. Sometimes dealers are just plain greedy.