Before I call Ruger I'd like some group price quesses

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmc25

Single-Sixer
OK, now that I finally scrapped together some funds I'd like some price speculations from the group.
(This may change my mind on my whole idea)

I have a Ruger 22 3 screw frame with a 5 1/2 barrel and attached XR3 grip frame.

I have a spare OM 22 lr cylinder but no pin.

When funds permit I will be looking for OM internals so I can have a working original design model.

ALL other internal parts are needed. Trigger, all springs including the grip frame spring, grips (which Ruger probably doesn't have) ,etc.

Metal is not pitted but badly worn so the whole thing will be factory reblued.

Anybody want to scare me with what Ruger might charge for this work?

Or should I even consider this in the first place?

Should I just part it out as is?

rmc

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger most likely will NOT do this work. It's an Old Model, and as such, they no long have or make the parts for it. They can possibly rebuild it with the transfer bar safety system,,, but you'd have to ask them if they will do that work. But, depending upon the needed parts,,, they may not be able to do even that.

hittman

Staff member
You should call Ruger. They'll help over the phone .... to a degree.

If you're looking for them to re-blue the gun ..... yeah they may do it.

If you're looking for them to assemble it without the "safety" conversion; you're out of luck.
If you send it to them without the safety conversion; they'll return it with the conversion done.

Doubt they'd re-assemble it for you if you mail them a box of parts but ..... I'm just guessing.

Part it out? Nope ..... put it together and shoot it!

Hope I understood your post correctly.

been a while since we last talked, wishyou lived a bit closer, you could stop by and buy lunch and I would put it all back together for you, we have the parts here, and the price is OK , its the grips ( XR-3) that may be a bit pricy these days when you can even find them.........and as for the finish,without SEEING it , cannot tell how much "prep" ( hand work) wouldbe involved to get it ready to blue..........NO, the factory will NOT put in any "oldmodel" parts, but the newer,safety update contains about all the parts that are need to function the gun, and a new model main ( hammer) spring and parts would work....give them a call, send them just the cylinder frame ( with the barrel) and the cylinder, so they can fit up the new parts, as for a grip frame, grips, and a refinish, they would "price according;ly" bottom line is would they REBUILD the whole gun for you???? these days, I have NO clue or idea, all the folks we dealt with over the years are dead or gone from there, cannot get a straight answer anymore, they will say "send it in, we will give you an estimate".
Its a crap shoot, but about ANY GOOD shop should be able to help you out. my old partner was charging $125 for an entire reblue ( basic) and and ALL hand work needed, would of course be "extra" then there's the parts needed, and the shipping back and forth....do the math, call around, send me an e-mail and let me know just what ALL you need......NO, I cannot receive the entire gun as I am 'retired' gave up all the FFLs, and just tinker with pieces and parts............

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You're in the catbird seat. Actually you have enough of the gun to send off to Ruger, they don't need the internal parts or cyl pin, and they'd rather not have the grips to keep track of either. Do you have a loading gate, plunger, spring, and screw? If not, you'll want to get those first so it will be finished to match the frame.

As of last year, Ruger Refinish - SA revolver = $80 and $30 return shipping.

You WANT to request the retrofit safety transfer bar system:

Any old model returned to Ruger for any reason will get the transfer bar safety retrofit whether you want it or not, it's their safety policy.

You WANT to request the retrofit safety transfer bar system because the shipping cost to Ruger is the killer. About $85 for an individual to ship them the gun. Or most local dealers will ship it for you, and it's a lot less for an FFL to ship it.

So here's what you can do: call Ruger 1 (603) 865-2442 and request a transfer bar safety upgrade which is free INCLUDING shipping. They'll email you a free shipping label. Tell them you want the gun to be refinished while they have it.

Many send their gun without the internal parts because although Ruger will return them, some people want to be sure to get them back. The gun itself is not modified or machined in any way. When you get the gun back in 10 to 12 days at the most, you can shop for the old model action parts and you can just swap out the transfer bar safety parts and put the originals back in. Total cost to you $80.

The re-blue will be done correctly w/o over buffing, etc., and you'll get it back in 10 days. You can't beat their service and refinish, or even come close to the price anywhere!

Actually Ruger's reblue jobs are better than original. It's not done by the regular production people who are cranking out new guns as fast as they can. It's done on the same type machinery though, so all the surfaces have the same polishing techniques and contours as new factory guns. But any flaws or sloppiness from the original factory blue is corrected and the gun has a higher polish than originally. They all seem to come back with their 'flagship' Super BH best finish.

If the gun is seriously pitted, they may not be able to get them all out if too deep, but they'll do their best.

Here's my factory refinished Hawkeye. I added the stainless steel grip frame in place of the aluminum alloy original grip frame:
large.jpg

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I had Ruger do a beat up .41 about 10 years ago. They fitted a steel grip frame, a steel ejector housing, and refinished the gun. And of course converted it. Good job and reasonable cost. I think it was $80 for the refinish plus I paid for the new parts. There is one wave in the polish that I wish was not there, but they had to take a lot off because it was rusty on one side. Looked like it laid in a metal box for quite a while. They sent the mailer so it was free to ship in. I unconverted it when I got it back and found a wide OM trigger to fit the Old Army grip frame they used. In reality, the trigger on the conversion was about as good as the unconverted trigger on this gun. The finish is deep, dark, and tough.

I think you probably should ship yours in. Then you will be able to shoot it while you look for the OM parts. I know others do not feel this way, but personally I would probably like it just fine with the conversion instead of paying to get the OM parts. That way you still have the same function as the OM but the trigger might not be quite as crisp.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I don't see any follow-up post?
What response did Ruger provide?

My opinion remains that Ruger would refuse to ignore their engineering/legal obligations and will not provide an obsolete deign. They have zero interest in putting such a liability into a consumer's hands in this century.

Latest posts