Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum shorty rear sight?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Just wondering. Took my Ruger shorty 44 Magnum Out to the range At about 30 yards It was shooting way low a good 8 to 10 inches lowAnd a good 6 inches to the left looking at the Target. Came into about 25 feet It was still shooting a good 6 inches low. Decided to get one of those bore sighters that you slipped into the barrel In fact it did show A good 6 inches low at 25 feet.I had to raise the rear sight up almost all the way to get the laser to point where I wanted which is cutting the laser dot In half at the top of the front sight. Is this normal for shorty 44 Magnum.If so How far could that shoot to With the stock sights on altered ? With the sights adjusted and stock my guess would be it would be good for no more than a hundred yards. I know that's stretching it for this type of gun but I do like to have fun. Maybe the thing to do would be to file my front sight And have it so I can get some type of them is a judgement on the rear sight What's your thoughts on this And people with the same gun is this what you're fighting with your guns.Thank youFor your thoughts suggestions and help with this!. George. Sorry this is sent from my cell phone voice to text If there's any mistakes.

George

Blackhawk
Jim thank you, Yep like I said that's what I was thinking to do it when I get to shooting at longer range with it it just makes things more interesting for me. I know Most people won't be using a gun of that size for the range Of a hundred yards or so that I'd like to use it for For most it won't  Beyond a few yards Most of the time.But was just curious If this was my particular gun or was the nature of the beast on this model again thank you George

medicdave

Blackhawk
You could try a heavier bullet as well, the longer barrel dwell time will have them shooting higher. Mine is pretty partial to 300-325gr buffalo bore or hsm equivelent loads. The k38 target masterpiece front sight is the same height as the stock blade, bowen rough country rear.

DGW1949

Hunter
6" low @ 25' is quite a bit.
Question is, do we lower the river or raise the bridge?....
Personally, I've lost count of how many front sights I've filed down. Thing is though, it needs to be done at the range a liitle at a time while firing/testing because trying to do it by using one of those lazer "bore sight" thingy's doesn't take into account recoil and/or "bullet in the bore" dwell time.

Hope this helps.

DGW

George

Blackhawk
Yep I did buy one of those bore sighting tool should put down the front of the barrel. But at least it put me on target And I know where it was shooting I know where it should be shooting now alright final shot have to be done at the range I know that. I won't be getting there for a while. But at least with the bore sight in there I won't be gut shoting somebody if they comes into the house or shooting them in the balls. I should make my chest shot Pretty easily With the gun sighted in like it is right now. I've been running 240 grain LEAD FN Semi wadcutter bullets At a relatively low velocity under a thousand feet. I'll have to change my round some loadings And bullet weights. Sorry I'm on my phone If this is horribly bad to read. It's even worse to try to edit on this phone If it's terribly bad I will edit it sometime when I get on my computer. Plan is to take the gun to the range that won't be for a while though. Take a few shots at a good Target at 25 yards The proper way.I don't think the laser boresighter will be too awful bad. As I put it on my 45 ACP which I'm a darn good shot with And it showed up Dead on. Absolutely dead-on to where I point . the gun gave me that good feeling now. And I'm very good with that gun so I feel like gives me an edge here. I'm fairly confident It won't be that far off at least it's going to put me on paperThank you all George

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My typical new gun sighting is to set the rear sight about mid height, then file the front sight blade to be on for twenty five yards. This gives me some slack in adjustment should I change ammunition.

Bob Wright

George

Blackhawk
Just thinking yes my Super Blackhawk 44 magnum shorty is a stainless steel model. And yes the front blades are removable.Does somebody sell a set of various size front blades for this gun? URL please. Thank you George

Pal Val

Buckeye
I had a similar problem with a Bisley .44mag shorty. Then, I put on the Bowen sight, and found out it has a bigger adjustment range. Problem solved. I don't shoot light bullets - 240 gr is my minimum. I tried lighter bullets, and simply could not adjust the rear sight to make it zero at 25 yds. Anyway, the little gun seems to like heavier bullets.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
George
As far as gut shooting (or lower ) a intruder. Either will really hurt with the 44 , just aim for their head. :D
I filed my front sight.

steamloco76

Single-Sixer
I vote for a Hamilton Bowen back sight if you can spare the money. My NM Blackhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP shot way low at .25 yards with the .45 ACP cylinder. I could adjust the stock rear sight high enough to compensate, however the sight screw would work out under recoil, even with blue Loctite on the screw threads.
The Bowen sight I installed has more elevation adjustment, a much better sight picture and is a joy to use. Highly recommended.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Had to put it here. The other day I took my SBH shorty to the range, to get some pre-bear hunt practice. The guy next to me saw the gun, and saw I had my target set at 25 yds. He mumbled - "He's got to be kidding. That's too far for that little gun."- to his friend. I cut the middle of the bullseye with my first shot. I heard - "What?" When I finished the cylinder, six shots in the 10 ring, both were standing there not shooting, just looking at my target.

Pardon the bragging! This gun is a real find.

George

Blackhawk
Pal Val, Was that with the factory sights and adjustment? When I got my gun, "new" the rear sight was almost set as low as it could be set from the factory. It shot 8" low and to the left looking at the target at 25 yards when I got it.. I had not got out to shoot it yet since bore sighting it in yet.. it was still way low at 25 feet when I got it. I'll have to take it out again and see how it does now.. bore sighted it in at 25 feet so it's dead on now or should be anyway. Thanks! George

A too tall front sight is a far better dilemma than too short a front sight. As my picture shows, the top revolver had a too-tall front sight. Filed it a little bit at a time til it was where it needed to be. Ended up filing a lot, and I could even file farther, considering the rear sight is still adjusted all the way up. There was nothing I could do with bullet weights or velocities to compensate for the elevation error.

WAYNO

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Pal Val said:
Had to put it here. The other day I took my SBH shorty to the range, to get some pre-bear hunt practice. The guy next to me saw the gun, and saw I had my target set at 25 yds. He mumbled - "He's got to be kidding. That's too far for that little gun."- to his friend. I cut the middle of the bullseye with my first shot. I heard - "What?" When I finished the cylinder, six shots in the 10 ring, both were standing there not shooting, just looking at my target.

Pardon the bragging! This gun is a real find.

Love stories like this! Where do people get such looney assumptions like that???

Hondo44

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
A too tall front sight is a far better dilemma than too short a front sight. As my picture shows, the top revolver had a too-tall front sight. Filed it a little bit at a time til it was where it needed to be. Ended up filing a lot, and I could even file farther, considering the rear sight is still adjusted all the way up. There was nothing I could do with bullet weights or velocities to compensate for the elevation error.

WAYNO

Good job. Now you just need to fix the ramp shape and it'll look factory like the other. And you can replace the serrations with a 50 LPI checkering file.

357 converted to 44:
orig.jpg

Pal Val

Buckeye
That's a really pretty gun there! But the fit in the grip panel is odd, with a lot more metal reveal than I'm used to. Do you like them like that? Not looking for an argument. Grips are strictly a personal choice.