Advice on Anniversary Editions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmc25

Single-Sixer
Picked up 2 NVB34-50 for my grandson a few years back.
520-0290 and 291. Thought it was a good idea at the time but having second thoughts.

Better to keep them or sell them off and invest his proceeds?

I already have 95-98% OMs of various calibers and barrel lengths to pass on.

All of my shooters are OMs except for my Maximums.

rmc

hittman

Staff member
If you can get your money back ...... may be time to sell and invest in something already old or collectable.

My experience has been that items made specifically as anniversary or commemorative or collectors edition do not increase in value. Yeah, there may be a few exceptions but generally ..... not a good move.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
If you got them for him, let him have them. I'd certainly hope them coming from you would be more valuable than whatever they may be worth in dollars. Kinda like to think you'd see they could very likely have that potential and not be thinking $. It really shouldn't always be about the $ yet sadly, it seems it almost always is.

Normally, I'd say these are just another Anniversary edition, with no more value than its non-anniversary counterpart in the same condition. So, a two-part answer. As an investment, they're no more valuable nor have any more growth potential than any other equivalent Vaquero. So if feller is bored with them, trade 'em off. But the second answer would be, if they were bought for somebody you care for, and it's not gonna break the bank if you kept them, then I also believe they have much more value as an heirloom.

WAYNO.

WAYNO said:
Normally, I'd say these are just another Anniversary edition, with no more value than its non-anniversary counterpart in the same condition. So, a two-part answer. As an investment, they're no more valuable nor have any more growth potential than any other equivalent Vaquero. So if feller is bored with them, trade 'em off. But the second answer would be, if they were bought for somebody you care for, and it's not gonna break the bank if you kept them, then I also believe they have much more value as an heirloom.

WAYNO.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ They should be heirlooms for him.

Major T

Blackhawk
Wife bought me a 50th .44magnum for our fiftieth anniversary. When the original came out, we could not afford one. Aside from the only gun she ever bought, it is a wonderfully put together piece with great finish. I shoot it and enjoy it. SIL found sweet thing a distributor price, so to heck with it being a collector item. It shoots great, even if the grips are a bit skinney.

Best,

Jack

mohavesam

Hawkeye
An auctioneer friend once told me of jewels, watches, and firearms: "(True) Collectibles are rarely sold over the countertop".

what is this "investment" concept ?

DGW1949

Hunter
rmc25 said:
Picked up 2 NVB34-50 for my grandson a few years back.
520-0290 and 291. Thought it was a good idea at the time but having second thoughts.

Better to keep them or sell them off and invest his proceeds?

I already have 95-98% OMs of various calibers and barrel lengths to pass on.

All of my shooters are OMs except for my Maximums.

rmc

If the idea at the time was to invest in his future.....from a monetary stand point, you would have been far better off to have invested in a pair of Kruggerands instead.

If the question is "If I were to sell them today, what to invest in instead?"....given today's "economic outlook", your guess is as good as mine.

As for buying guns as a future gift to a child, who knows if the child will turn out to be someone who would even want (or keep) a gun regardless of who it came from?....yeah, on the surface the idea sounds nifty to "you the giver"....but on the other hand, the recipient aint you.
I've seen that sort of thing turn out wrong more than once...just sayin'.

From a personal standpoint....Myself, I would have been plumb-tickled to have ever received a gun as a gift, and even more so had it come from my grand father....but again, that's just me....meaning that my own feeling on the matter has absolutely no relevance to how my own grand children may (or may not) feel about a similar circumstance.

Other than that, all I can say is that we each have our own rows to plow....and I hope with all sincerity, that your's turn out to suit you.

DGW

rmc25

Single-Sixer
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I agree that the recipient may have no interest in them no matter who they came from. My thought was that they were to be given to my grandson when he reached 21 and he could keep or sell them as he wished. Won't matter to me anyway.

I am almost ready to just sell them off and invest the proceeds for him.

When they go it will probably be a good time to get rid of the Anniversary editions 357 and 44mag #702 and 357 and 44 mag #703.

Just got to decide on a price.

Thanks again for getting me closer to a decision.
rmc

DGW1949

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING, Ruger stock (and S&W) HAVE BEEN better investments than the guns THEY PRODUCE.

There, fixed it for you. :wink: .

DGW

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
hittman said:
If you can get your money back ...... may be time to sell and invest in something already old or collectable.

My experience has been that items made specifically as anniversary or commemorative or collectors edition do not increase in value. Yeah, there may be a few exceptions but generally ..... not a good move.
BINGO!!
On a good day, my unfired matching serial # 50th Anniversary Blackhawks and Bearcat is worth.........what I paid for them!

medicdave

Blackhawk
My brother bought my son a 60th anniversary single six convertible specifically because it had the gold shield on the grip frame. Once he's big enough to learn to use it (not quite yet 2 years old), he'll have something different from what his friends have. Add that to the fact that it was a gift from his uncle and it really becomes something special.

rmc25

Single-Sixer
OMs with consecutive serial numbers are the real prizes!

I know it was easy to get consecutive serial numbers on the Anniversary editions.

Is everyone telling me that consecutive serial numbers on Anniversary editions are only worth what I paid for them?

Nobody collects 3 digit Anniversary editions?

If that's the case, I should probably sell them as single guns rather than as a pair. Would be easier to find a buyer.

rmc