Ruger Old Army black powder revolvers..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Was out at our range area yesterday and a buddy came by with on of these in SS with 7 inch barrel.
When did Ruger stop making these?
Nice looking and well built revolver and I got to shoot it a couple times!
It is a bit of work loading and cleaning it though.

Mus408

Hunter
Oh yeah it was fun. The guy had some of that "Bullet Butter" clogging up the nipples where the caps go and forgot his pipe cleaners to clean it out. I found a suitable weed to run thru and clean it out.
Maybe that's how they did it way way back in the day!

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
Hey... Mus408... the ROA is one of the greatest, strongest BP revolver's ever produced. Practically industructible.... built like an M1 Abrams tank... an ROA should last forever. I bought my 5.5" SS ROA's back in 2008... for about $250 each. Not consec-serial numbered... but close...

If you want to see the difference in apparent frame-strength... just compare these two pictures...

Ruger Old Army's… top two in this pic... with black buffalo-horn grips (my modification)...
IMG_0342_zps0wbwx5zw.jpg

2nd Generation Colt 1851 Navy made in 1982… SS open-top revolver in .36 caliber…
SS1851May22-2009a_zpsiawhrl64.jpg

The ROA's top-strap... and additional frame-strength is kinda obvious....

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
Mus408 said:
Yes it was very well built!

An interesting comment from Wikipedia... regarding the original testing of the ROA...

"The revolver was tested by loading each chamber to capacity with Bullseye smokeless powder and a lead ball. While this might result in catastrophic failure in other firearms, the Old Army proved to be strong enough to handle the pressure."

From the 4th paragraph under "Design"...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Old_Army

That's kinda hard to believe... but demonstrates the strength of the ROA.

k22fan

Blackhawk
A long time ago I watched a friend at our local range experiment loading Hercules Green Dot in his Ruger Old Army. (ROA) He tried various bullets, balls and charges. To one extent or another all shots hangfired blowing the nipple off and spitting a tiny roman candle back out the nipple. From that I extrapolate that the test load of a ball over a chamber full of Bullseye never built up the pressure that occurs in a double charged center fire case. If it were sealed in why would it not burst the cylinder?

I am not suggesting that ROAs are weak. Mine were packaged with instructions that wrote that any change of black powder or Pyrodex that could be compressed in would do no harm. Pyrodex was the only black powder substitute available at the time my instructions were printed. My GUESS is that would apply to all the newer black powder substitutes as well but that is a question for the factory.

Flash

Buckeye
k22fan said:
A long time ago I watched a friend at our local range experiment loading Hercules Green Dot in his Ruger Old Army. (ROA) He tried various bullets, balls and charges. To one extent or another all shots hangfired blowing the nipple off and spitting a tiny roman candle back out the nipple. From that I extrapolate that the test load of a ball over a chamber full of Bullseye never built up the pressure that occurs in a double charged center fire case. If it were sealed in why would it not burst the cylinder?

I am not suggesting that ROAs are weak. Mine were packaged with instructions that wrote that any change of black powder or Pyrodex that could be compressed in would do no harm. Pyrodex was the only black powder substitute available at the time my instructions were printed. My GUESS is that would apply to all the newer black powder substitutes as well but that is a question for the factory.

I shoot Trail Boss in mine all the time. It is safe for a 19th century Colt so I use the same loads in my OA. Gas check over powder, cup side down and topped with a semi wad cutter lubed with Alex.

Rclark

Hunter
especially with black powder love it!
+1! There are many other SA revolvers for smokeless use, but the ROA is super for what it was designed for. Enjoy mine!

any change of black powder or Pyrodex that could be compressed in would do no harm.
Applies to all BP substitutes. Slightly compressed is what you want as you should never have 'air space' under the ball.