Thinking about an LCR 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
I actually want the 327 model, but I don't see that round being "around" for the long haul. So the 357 seems like a better choice with ammo available everywhere. Plus I have a GP100 that feeds both loads so I will have ammo on hand for the shorty. I purchased my first two handguns this year, the SR1911 and the GP. Then when I got my cpl I picked up a Kahr K9 which I love. But still would like a shorty revolver and the Ruger seems to be the best option. I imagine the 357 frame with a bit more weight will suit me better than the 38 aluminum framed option at 3.5oz less weight. Plus, I can load 357 rounds if I want to. Just wondering what you all think.

I think you will not be disappointed. I have the LCR in 38, because I bought it before the 357 was available. Even if I had the 357, I would probably still carry my 38+p loads in it.

I also have an LCRx in 38, an LCRx 3" in 38, plus an LCR in 22. Yes I like these little revolvers.

mjh

Single-Sixer
The LCR will be a nice shorter barreled revolver to have on hand for use and to pair up with your GP100 for sorting out ammo.

hittman

Staff member
I have owned both the 38 and 357. Owned them both at the same time too.

I wanted one as my EDC and chose the 38 because of the lighter weight.

Since neither are a "range gun" I sent the 357 on down the road.

Mus408

Hunter
I have an LCR 357 too and it's a great little shooter with a very good grip that soaks up the hit of the .357 rounds. I carry it with the .357 ammo as I want the most from the short barrel.

Terry T

Buckeye
I have the .357 mag., the 9mm, and the .327 mag. Great guns all.
I did, however, add the larger grip to each of them. It doesn't conceal as well but it sure helps with the shooting.
As they say "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades" and having a gun one can shoot well with is paramount. For me, that meant the larger grip.

http://shopruger.com/Hogue-LCRx-and-LCR-3-Tamer-Grip/productinfo/19947/

Terry T

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
LCRx has an exposed hammer so you can run it SA if you want. I may have changed my tune a little and am pricing out the lighter 38 today. People I've heard from that own both like both, but just for a small carry piece prefer the 38 most of the time.

I pocket carry 95% of the time and ankle carry the rest of the time so weight it really important to me. I've shot the .357 and it does soak up the recoil better than the .38, the larger Tamer grip also helps, but this is my EDC gun, not a range gun. The sting of a .38+P through my LCR does not matter to me at all because I love the lightweight gun and with the Bantam grip it fits beautifully in my pocket in a well worn Uncle Mikes holster. The LCR line is pretty diverse so finding the perfect one to fit your needs should be pretty easy.

WheelGunMan

Bearcat
I own two LCR's...a .22WMR and a .357...bought the .22WMR first and so loved the fit and feel that I bought one in .357. I use it as my primary EDC and equip it with Winchester 38 Special +P 130 GR. Defender rounds.

I chose the .357 frame primarily for the added weight for absorbing recoil and it being an S/S frame rather than aluminum for long term durability. The revolver fits my hand perfectly and is an absolute joy to shoot.

I'm a little recoil sensitive thus why I shoot the .38's. I am contemplating stepping up to the Hornady Critical Defense round in .357 90 GR as I understand the recoil is similar to my current setup. Having it in .357 gives me that option.

I'd recommend the .357 for those reasons.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
The 38 only model at my local store felt good, but I did not think the trigger was all that great. So I do want to get my hands around the 357 before I decide.

hittman

Staff member
Like with most Ruger's, the trigger will smooth out after use.

On mine, the LCR was butter smooth right out of the box. The 357 however, was pretty gritty. It did improve after a few hundred rounds but was never close to as good as the 38.

Last Sept I was in Sevierville, Tn at the Smoky Mtn Knifeworks. They had started selling guns there also. I almost bought the LCRx in .38 and 3 inch barrel, adjustable sights. If it had of been in .357 magnum, I would have bought it.
gramps

Mus408

Hunter
Ran some ammo tests thru my .357 LCR today and a nice shooter it is for it's size.
Was testing some mid level Magnum loads along with .38 +P.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I have a Ruger LCR in .327. I really like the caliber and the firearm. I use it as my CCW. I have a SP-101 on order in that caliber. I have the SP-101 in .357 and .22 LR as well as an LCR in .22 LR. I think the .327 cartridge is and excellent choice. I load for it now too. As for the SP-101 I think the .357 is about the best 38 Special out there. It fits my hand and is very well made. I shoot .357 and 38 Special +P from it. But I have really learned to appreciate the .327. It is an accurate and powerful cartridge.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
I own the 3" LCRx in 38 Special and the LCR in .327. The LCR is my main carry gun right now. I like having the extra round. I've also got the SP101 and the Single Seven in 327. I really like this round. Ammo is hard to find, but I reload for it and 32H&R. If you cast your bullets its cheaper than .22LR to shoot. Now Ruger just needs to make a 3" LCRx in 327 and .22LR. I'd buy both right now.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
I am going to have to think about this one. I made the mistake of checking out a SP101 shorty. The LCR is probably the way to go for me since I don't see myself wanting to CC the SP on a regular basis whereas the LCR is designed for that role. I just like the way the heavy steel models feel.

Latest posts