LCR 327

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Toolfreak

Bearcat
I was at Cabelas looking at the lcr 327 and the salesman said it would shoot .32acp along with sw long, hr magnum and 327 federal magum but I called Ruger and they said no way to use 32acp. I really dont have any experience with this caliber so was wanting to see if anyone has experience to let me know any more info about this.
Thanks,
Mike

NikA

Buckeye
Tolerances will usually allow .32 ACP to fire in .32 revolvers, and pressure-wise it should be safe to do so in any that are chambered in .32 H&R and .327 FM. It may or may not be safe to do so in revolvers chambered in .32 S&W or S&WL, depending on their vintage and condition. However, Ruger is not going to tell you that this is safe or functional since they did not design their product to do so. The performance is going to be average at best: there is a lot of freebore before the cylinder throats due to the difference in cartridge length, the .32 ACP bullets are typically smaller in diameter by a couple thousandths (similar to 9mm bullets from a .38 revolver), and the cartridge rims are smaller which may cause them to slip off during ejection.

In short, it can be done, but it probably wouldn't be worth trusting your life to. .32 ACP ammo isn't that cheap or available anyways, probably should just order the correct ammo.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
Toolfreak said:
I was at Cabelas looking at the lcr 327 and the salesman said it would shoot .32acp along with sw long, hr magnum and 327 federal magum but I called Ruger and they said no way to use 32acp. I really dont have any experience with this caliber so was wanting to see if anyone has experience to let me know any more info about this.
Thanks,
Mike
It will shoot 32ACP, I've tried it. The cases are difficult to extract and the sound firing them is more like a poof than a bang. Not worth the trouble IMO.
From the manual: The 6-shot RUGER® LCR ® 327 is chambered for the .327 Federal
Magnum cartridge, and can also chamber the .32 H & R Magnum, and .32 S & W
Long cartridges.

hittman

Staff member
Toolfreak said:
I called Ruger and they said no way to use 32acp.

^ ^ This ^ ^

Hard to argue with the folks who actually manufacture the product yet ..... many still claim to know more than the mother ship.

Welcome to the forum.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
hittman said:
Toolfreak said:
I called Ruger and they said no way to use 32acp.

^ ^ This ^ ^

Hard to argue with the folks who actually manufacture the product yet ..... many still claim to know more than the mother ship.

Welcome to the forum.

Well, the "mothership" also says never ever shoot reloads, never change a spring to aftermarket and ALL old model single actions must be converted to transfer bar ignition. Often lawyers speak for the mothership.
To go out and buy 32acp for your .327 would be dumb. So many better choices out there.
But,.,,,, If there is a bunny standing in front of you and you are starving and 32acp is the only ammo you have,,,, By all means use it . It will work fine.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
That is the model I want but am afraid of ammo not being readily available in the 5-10 year timeframe, in 20 years?

5Wire

Single-Sixer
MikeAvery71 said:
That is the model I want but am afraid of ammo not being readily available in the 5-10 year timeframe, in 20 years?
Buy a half dozen boxes of the .327 Federal Magnum and set them aside. Shoot a bunch of H&R or start of with the milder .32 loads. Get the feel of the gun. Then shoot some of the .327FM. I can almost guarantee you won't want to shoot a lot of it in a range session. Those six boxes should last years. The 327 LCR is not a range gun and you can pick up more ammo as long as it remains available.

I like mine, really nice trigger and six rounds. There'll be some variety of .32 ammunition available for a lot longer than 20 years, I'd wager

32magfan

Blackhawk
Availability of ammo is a legitimate concern with the .32's, IMO.

When I was given a Single Six in 32 H&R Magnum in 1985 there were not many reliable sources of these shells in all of central KY. This got me started into reloading (THANK YOU!!!) for the round.

After the 327 was introduced in 2008, there was a definite lack of ammo for this round. However, there was a shortage for EVERY kind of ammo, especially 380ACP. Panic buying emptied the shelves of stuff covered in dust and everything else. The last 2-3 years, I have seen 32 H&R Mag and 327 Federal in more shops than ever before- Why? The LGS owner is not worried about it sitting there on the shelf gathering dust. There are enough guns out there to keep people shooting and buying ammo. Its one of those "self-fulfilling prophecies" where I am not going to buy that gun because there may not be ammo available in 5, 10 or 15 years... If enough people follow that logic, then 15 years from now we will all be shooting .22's, 9mm. 38SPL, 40S&W, 44Mag and 45ACP in our handguns. If enough people decide to buy the guns on their merits we will not be in that situation. Assuming I am still alive then (47 now & I know none of us are promised tomorrow) I will still be buying 327 for self defense.

You are not likely to find 32 H&R or 327 Federal at Wal-Mart or Bass Pro. It is out there at other locations. I have seen it on shelves in gun shops all over Middle TN.

As far as 32ACP, I have fired it in a Single Six. It is your last ditch option but it is an option. I would never recommend it. More like, "In a pinch, you could..."

my .02,

32Magfan