GP-100 cracked forcing cone

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PWK82

Bearcat
A friend of mine has a problem with his Ruger. We both own GP100's chambered in 357 magnum. Mine works like a clockwork, but problem occured in his gun after shooting about 1700 rounds of regular, factory ammo (158gr) - forcing cone cracked. Revolver was kept very clean and maintained after every shooting. Moreover it was used for target shooting, not for dynamic or speed shooting.

What are your experiences with such cases? After studying forums we found that it happens sometimes and Ruger owners can count on assistance of manufacturer. Please advice.

I didn't expect it to happen in Ruger revolver. Sturdines was one of the criteria when it came to choose between manuacturers. :(

PswbO9paibDOB3CUZHYR54Hwx9My_1RUH70bnYe2_tsW4l2JdntyWeWkngB5Sd42fi5dHELtzy8Si0O2OnME-krW93GuxSBp00aG_bHoSvrYgZFIBQ2jzAf_UuUKam9V8CcIAA78nd6pDRPjsTUHzqtMhIkIAW6XwTBTktW6SM7zX7JFaFIDYqTfjT7ioa220ImTJgShhQr5HBtFVMO6XnjGDn8VQ7BxAcbhPzrnYdIOxVJoGzZbVCk-AVAGqCHiNjJ23hzO4ew3IeGrO3O76VFF8xzKY5kaNuxLom0yHiyQqLHq1qghxeRt6-5RFbODed8xpFjBlAn1Z5IBj4YTubUzjXjV8gvF8nozfFJrWtsVhoxOqXC8_2X6HOhX6eVsNoH6atejHohvPIzgpFLT4z5ApnuoNjb552x0noRB-LEhDRxhgnlLZ-O0_cBpQwMldJJHqucrjCTCRc7p_9NjJde5WJNdXYmsyHQXQ3gSA78HpsbN3JYlxbPh02Q_mvjxxr1w0lSVH39mdyROkOXkX1msmhnU01-qu7BjmHIBUIIFLk41IIV7aC1pMkxLehl9bld1RboVSVvtp4tw1QqkRs8wm2_VPrMJNXp_blm8fBDw7Cg5YQ=w1024-h732-no

vCk-2CSyB6Yus8ip4ZJc2gIRPCkhR5Z1lNi0m14Ftfw7NblUXflEJtRLjEAf846Jgyr42snknxMM04IlkRS2rQLL5gGgUFPmkfpR7xaqjjlQgY-71sEyknZbdgzLPTOOtwnSgpUewxwDF33Yb3L_3t9C9Q8JNR89ZjJva25L8Zu1tBlFDTYJ0vec7joNp5F0Ebd9gZKGa4yhC0slOo2Z9ftz6F2CxNgI4S_p1u5LPwxvvnFQFmMFHS360YSklV49azN1n1aBY3m_2k_ymPzv-rI59C3Bdc3aESF5IiXfTFQfBUnY2w9MsAetH_XJandnb0stmuXmeOplq-TFUBcO9ptEpotgLxjV3hEH1GPah3vrbx3wawKc_yZ7c3Ro-Ck5TPP0ABIgb7FljCdy6yQn5Fx3g_weAeLX1Q0OOKA7_-EbxKPDxqe_Yg-PAVVOnEQHfoPu8UfT6EMAuCRO-2JTUjrsp0J_qUGZzanDTA_Julhs5PiHcadPOnSMgQXF52__smF_AkAiAtWPOD9cPPn-AtOBJHS-FkGM7x6c9sE-vk8qW-ACa2aZzmzVTEcvokxB_4OsNx2uzG8AHztBP-RyQywLvZv3YTO44bJF3MaK51P2QUQQvA=w1024-h731-no

NikA

Buckeye
Looks like a call to Ruger CS is in order. To me, that is likely a material defect. (I'm think a batch of slightly off-spec steel, combined with the inherent tolerances in the firearm.)

There appears to be a lot of erosion present on the forcing cone of that barrel. How does the front of the cylinder look? What is the B/C gap? Does the forcing cone on your revolver look this eroded?

You say the ammo is regular factory 158gr. Any information available as to the manufacturer/loading?

pisgah

Buckeye
Either that barrel somehow got made of some severely out-of-spec steel, or it was more than any "1700 rounds of regular factory ammo" that went thru it...

Either way, sending it back to Ruger is called for.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
A polite call to Ruger,,,, with a detailed explanation, as well as a copy of the pics, will get it taken care of. Ask for a pre-paid shipping label,, as they will pay for the shipping to them.
I agree it's likely just a bad defect in the metal,,, that somehow made it past the tests.
Ruger will take care of it.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Fortunately, I haven't experienced anything like this myself, but I've been reading quite a bit about forcing cone erosion and/or cracking. From what I've read, it appears these conditions are reported to have occurred when the ammunition is heavily charged with slower burning magnum powders such as 2400, H-110 or 296 together with using a lighter bullet of 125 grains or less. I don't recall reading any accounts, other than this one, where these forcing cone conditions occurred with the use of a 158 grain projectile in factory ammunition.

But if this turns out to be a defect in the metal, as other posters have postulated, then perhaps that would explain the occurrence of these conditions in this case.

Sugar River

Buckeye
Agree, that's a severely eroded forcing cone. Wonder if the rounds were loaded with Lil'Gun?

Sounds like English is not the OPs first language, and no location posted, shipping back for CS may be an issue.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
bayou5252 said:
From what I've read, it appears these conditions are reported to have occurred when the ammunition is heavily charged with slower burning magnum powders such as 2400, H-110 or 296 together with using a lighter bullet of 125 grains or less.
This problem first appeared when the police stopped using mild .38 Sp ammo for practice and had to use full power .357 125 gr ammo for both practice, qualifying and duty use. The most common police revolver at the time was a K-frame Smith and Wesson and they weren't sturdy enough for that amount of punishment. S&W's "cure" was the stronger L-frame revolver and the GP-100 is pretty much a similar size and strength.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That should never happen with a GP-100. Look at the top strap, there is no cutting there. That barrel is bad.

Call Ruger, they will take care of it probably for nothing. Be sure to include a note about how it happened. Ask for a shipping label so you don't have to pay to send it back to them.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck, they will make it right. :D

do not be too quick to say "metal or material" issue, they would have to make an evaluation, as to the "whys and the wherefores", and to ME, that is more of an ammo ( and I'd bet bad, improper ?? loads) not a material, metals issue, BUT that being said, never know the factory just may do a "customer service", or a bit of "good will", just never know for certain till they actually see it and make a decision.............YES, if part of any "bad batch" of barrels, they most likely would cover it......
at least those are still available...... 8) :roll: :wink:

PWK82

Bearcat
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
A polite call to Ruger,,,, with a detailed explanation, as well as a copy of the pics, will get it taken care of. Ask for a pre-paid shipping label,, as they will pay for the shipping to them.
I agree it's likely just a bad defect in the metal,,, that somehow made it past the tests.
Ruger will take care of it.

Thank you for a friendly welcome and for all advices. I will try calling Ruger CS.

Someone noticed English is not my native language - yes, I live in Poland. There is an official representative of this company in Poland, but their after-sales service leaves much to be desired. I will try contacting Ruger directly. Maybe if the initiative comes from their side, local representative will be more helpful.

According to ammo - owner shot Sellier & Bellot and Fiocchi ammo, both 158 gr FMJ

In one of the replies I was asked about a forcing cone of my Ruger, here is how it looks like after few hundred rounds fired. I shot mainly 38 spec FMJ:

XbOXZPJ1OdW63SVCRMWQzSg45AoUTzicYMqMQm-v3x_xT1qd0HbPFrfgZVmPczezaO66YxoSJyHM7ZN37LMax_RVyrkTLEASqNFteUbB8MHEUN3iaTdvXrTRjFHcthhhkvhFFrF0-zt__3omQCGHFaKc6HesYzk-74zVtv5xD7KUMc3E1jf1-Awt9P9opqAedCp0z-Lt9KqvQoYbIxbZvlRzBzy4Lip0CTjIhyiC4ggVV7D0pmJyZxpInuN_pzbPaJiYhR_UkI0NNZ8F9P3eU8GhRXFcacSSU66H1EaCOSYJh9_QruiN_2mmTacJjijvVhr8MwBf5d4bApG4ZX-VhULRoCP-ulCFK0-ThwZSnqQ-3wBFZRZb1JGdyfYPgYWVspcZjP-zKQuIwaP_Lt9X_S1_1bQQhBSkyY6S52Na8EFvyKQSICvU8tkALDcHWK0X5ZEykI2-nTzSqWIJzwLlSVaV6m2sdVI5EkCjtY3gVwwPymt5p5SCweemlEGShiEMn3vFotNpDmZBr7ugy0e6N-X3ojzAbCtisAnIGvz5gdzRE9DQKCrhapfLi1HxnRccdeVFy-Kfqd2C3xhOcd5hg0ZAxL8PmsM1B98sHUqKBnFXGltEAA=w1378-h776-no

22/45 Fan

Hunter
rugerguy said:
do not be too quick to say "metal or material" issue, they would have to make an evaluation, as to the "whys and the wherefores", and to ME, that is more of an ammo ( and I'd bet bad, improper ?? loads) not a material, metals issue,
I have to agree that it is likely a materials issue. The fact that the top strap is in like-new condition says the ammo wasn't too hot or abusive.

PWK82

Bearcat
Today I called Ruger. They told me to contact Exports division, as they are the ones to speak about such issues if they happen abroad and they are responsible for contact with distributors. Nobody picks up the phone there, but they answered my message sent from website. I was told to contact the local dealer in Poland.. The one that promised to import a new barrel from Ruger months ago and did not do it.

I sent another message asking them to start the initiative, maybe to contact distributor in Poland from their end. I hope that in such scenario distributor will be more willing to help.

Well... some things are easier when you live in US :)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I am betting the distributor in Poland will have to send the gun back to the Ruger factory for repair. I guess when you are out of the country you can't send it back yourself. :shock:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
PWK82 said:
Today I called Ruger....... I was told to contact the local dealer in Poland.....
Well, if you had noted you were in Poland right from the beginning, the advice you were given might have been more helpful. With no other information we assumed you were in the USA.

PWK82

Bearcat
Yes, I am aware that I can not ship it back by myself to US and distributors activity is required.

I mentioned I live in Poland in second post, had to do it in first. However in my opinion company's approach to the problem should be the same no matter where customer lives.

I wanted to find out:
- if Ruger helps in such cases, because without their good will to solve the problem, distributor will not take the gun for repairs
- if Ruger can contact distributor regarding our issue, because local distributor is reluctant when it comes to service and repairs.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum. I hope that you get the GP100 replaced soon. If you keep getting the run-around go to www.ruger-firearms.com. On the bottom of the page is the "Tell the CEO" link. Send the pictures and explain the problem to him if your local representatives keep stonewalling.

Best Regards,
ADP3

22/45 Fan

Hunter
PWK82 said:
However in my opinion company's approach to the problem should be the same no matter where customer lives.
Firearms are a special case and international shipping is anything but straight-forward. If you were in the US, there is no question Ruger would make it good but your local distributor has to act as a go-between in this situation. If they contact Ruger, you should be helped properly but you have to get them to act.

And yes, you mentioned you live in Poland but that was after 10 other postings between your first and second one and only after someone noticed English wasn't your first language.

contender

Ruger Guru
ADP3 has an excellent point. If you can, try & contact Ruger directly. Tell them you are in Poland. AND tell them that your dealer/distributor is reluctant in helping in such matters. They have the ability to directly contact the dealer/distributors themselves and get it resolved.
They stand behind their products, no matter where they are sold.
So, if your call to them doesn't work, go the "Tell the CEO" route on the company webpage.