SP-101 in 4.2 inch barrel configuration. Want one now.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
The second week of October, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will be buying my last gun for this year. I will either be getting a Gen4 G19 (sorry, I'm a Glock fanboy too), or the SP 101 in .357. I am leaning towards the Ruger, because I own only one revolver, and it is a S&W Model 642.

The older I get, the more retro I get, and I really love shooting and carrying the Smith. What do you all think? I see that Ruger has the 101 (.357) with a 3" barrel, and this is what I would want, because I would want to carry the gun, and feel the 4" barrel would be a bit much. What do you revolver guys and gals think? Is a 4" hard to conceal?

sliclee

Single-Sixer
I own and carry a 101 .357 in 3" I don't remember how long I have it, but its more than 25-30 years. I use the Federal 1425 with
Winchester 110 in it.
I do believe the 4" barrel would be better to increase velocity but for concealing it is for me the 3".
The long trail of flame, thump in the chest that comes out of the 3" is awesome,
The edges were smoothed and the trigger is perfect, almost no creep. I cut off half the hammer, rounded same after a bad situation

phonejack

Single-Sixer
I have one of the 4" ers. I like it. (I also have a G19) I consider it to be a slightly beefier heavy barrel j-frame.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The big advantage of the 4.2" SP-101 is the adjustable sights which makes it a far better range and hunting backup gun but, obviously, less ideal for concealed carry. Unless you plan to carry it concealed a lot, go for the 4.2". As further mentioned, the GP-100 is better for anything but concealed carry.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
wolfsong said:
Jimbo357mag said:
If you wana shoot 357 magnums a GP-100 is a lot more comfortable gun to put them in. :D
Well, that depends, doesn't it?

Different strokes for different folks, and all that jazz...
No not really. I have both an SP-101 3" and a GP-100 4" and I will say it again, when shooting 357 magnums there is no comparison between the two. If you want to enjoy shooting 357 magnums then the GP-100 is the gun of choice. It is better for that than almost any other revolver on the market today.

Now that's not to say the SP doesn't fill a nitch (niche if you are French) in the revolver world, because it does, but it is just not perfect for target/sport shooting 357 magnums. I think the SP is a carry piece with all those limitations. :D

DPris

Buckeye
I've owned two SP snubs over the years, with fixed sights.

Too bulky & heavy for pocket guns, just never appealed as belt guns, both gone now.
When the 4.2 .22 came out, I acquired one immediately.
When the 4.2 .357 came out, same.

The barrel length is perfect for me in giving "full" velocities in both calibers (beyond a 2.75 or 3-incher), and the adjustable sights were icing on the gravy.

Both fit the same Tanker rig I had El Paso Saddlery build for me.
I can comfortably wear either for all-day desert or mountain ATV runs.
I don't carry either concealed, but having carried four-inch revolvers concealed for a number of years in the past, if I wanted a lightweight full-power .357 Mag for such carry, I easily could & would with the SP.

With Hogue's excellent oversized wood grips, the .357 is not the slightest bit uncomfortable to shoot, even with short-lug barrel & 180-grain loads.
It rides much lighter "in the saddle" all day long than a full-sized GP, or any of the L or N-Frame Smiths I have.

It occasionally goes along in that chest rig as a large critter gun, besides the regular-carry .40 M&P on the belt for other purposes.

I think the 4.2 SP in either .22 or .357 is one of Ruger's best models to date, for certain applications.
Denis

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
DPris said:
With Hogue's excellent oversized wood grips, the .357 is not the slightest bit uncomfortable to shoot, even with short-lug barrel & 180-grain loads.
With factory grips there is a big difference between an SP and a GP-100. Shooting 357 magnums in an SP-101 will hurt most peoples hand after about 20 rounds if not before. ...plus there is a big difference in the trigger and that means accuracy. :D

kwh

Bearcat
I like my 4" barrel SP101 in .327 Federal magnum. However big box store (Academy) does not carry any .32 ammo .

And the reason the Speed Six is so nice, not heavy like the GP but still carries 6 rounds in a easy to carry frame size. It's a great carry revolver size for .357.
With the SP101 I use 38+p JHPs that work just fine.
Like you say - different strokes and all that!

wolfsong

Staff member
Jimbo357mag said:
DPris said:
With factory grips there is a big difference between an SP and a GP-100. Shooting 357 magnums in an SP-101 will hurt most peoples hand after about 20 rounds if not before. ...plus there is a big difference in the trigger and that means accuracy. :D
How many people have you interviewed after they have shot 20 rounds from an SP, Jimbo? Certainly you can't possibly know what may "hurt most people".

To each, his own, Jimbo, to each, his own.

DPris

Buckeye
I've fired far more than 20 rounds at a session with those Hogues on the .357 SP, everybody perceives it differently, but I didn't find it painful or uncomfortable at all, and that's with the lighter barrel.
Denis

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
wolfsong said:
How many people have you interviewed after they have shot 20 rounds from an SP, Jimbo? Certainly you can't possibly know what may "hurt most people".

I talk to the guys at my local shooting range that rents SP's and GP's to the public. They have lots of experience with people shooting both, say hundreds for arguments sake, and they agree with me and they say almost the same thing. ...and they should know. :D

wolfsong

Staff member
Jimbo357mag said:
wolfsong said:

I talk to the guys at my local shooting range that rents SP's and GP's to the public. They have lots of experience with people shooting both, say hundreds for arguments sake, and they agree with me and they say almost the same thing. ...and they should know. :D
Right. Whatever. SMH. :roll:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I must say the SP is a great little revolver for carry. I have 2 short barrels one in .38 bobbed hammer dao and a .357 regular hammer. I can shoot a box of 50 without pain but they are "snappy" and not that fun to shoot. I qualified with both mine many times as a cop. I totally agree with Jimbo on this one (something I don't do often). The GP 100 is so much more comfortable to shoot and the action tends to be smoother that it is night and day for shooting a lot. What the Gp is not good at is concealed carry. In a sturdy holster however I used the GP in preference to my SPs on a full size duty belt and did not find the weight objectionable.