"Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Factory Engraved"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Glockdude1

Bearcat
I have a Super Blackhawk .44 factory engraved pistol my father left me after he passed away. Can anyone give me details on this pistol? Year made, how many, value, etc?
34q1mj6.jpg

2wd2e6v.jpg

We found it in the box pictured, with no paperwork. Far as I can tell, it has not been cocked. I have no interest in selling it. I am going to keep it.

Serial 80-467XX

8)

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
Your Super Blackhawk was made in 1972. I haven't heard of any of that era being factory engraved. The only way to find out for sure is to get a factory Ruger letter. Call customer service at 336-949-5200 and they might be able to help you.
Ron

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I too have never heard of any factory engraved ones such as your either. It'll have been cocked some as the cylinder needed to come out for the engraving and it appears to be a verrrrrrrrry faint drag line. Also...what's the marks on the front lower area of the cylinder frame just in front of the lower chamber? Kinda appears to be a chip.

Glockdude1

Bearcat
Thank you for the responses, it is not museum perfect, it does have several small marks, and a faint scratch near the muzzle on the right side.

I am glad for info.

2sherriff's, I will call them on Monday morning.

Thanks.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I softly suggest that your CBH is not factory original. It has been refinished. Much of the original surface was polished off and then the gun was reblued. The hammer should be a high unblued finish. Sorry for this perspective.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Yes, definatly a refinish. SBH's of that period had a beutiful high polished finish ,not the nearly bead blasted look yours shows. Sorry to say. It would make a great shooter just the same.

Glockdude1

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I came here for the truth. I appreciate it. I am going to keep it and I am seriously thing about letting the kids shoot it at the range.

Now, what do you think it is worth?

Others I have, several .357's, .41, .30 carbine, .22 magnum, .22 Bearcat's (steel & aluminum frames), and a .Hawkeye .256. All pre 73.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
As my esteemed fellow members have already advised,,, it's highly unlikely that this gun was factory engraved. Actually very, very few Rugers ever got commissioned to be engraved by the factory. Most are well documented.
That said, you have a nice gun and it can be a fun shooter for the family. Besides it's a family heirloom.
And by your last post,,, you obviously have some others that are quite nice as well! You'll fit right in here!

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
Be sure to check and see if it or the others have had the transfer bar conversion done or not.
Simply for your piece of mind.

Glockdude1

Bearcat
tsubaki said:
Be sure to check and see if it or the others have had the transfer bar conversion done or not.
Simply for your piece of mind.

None of my Rugers have the transfer bar.

:mrgreen:

Major T

Blackhawk
Blued guns that are engraved require that they be stripped of finish prior and refinished after the engraving. Exception factory engraved or those shipped in the white, destined to be engraved.

G2

Hunter
Per Ruger Website, 1972 mfg.
I concure nice gun but most likely not factory engraved.
Also noted: The grip medallions are later than 1972 era.

Shoot it and enjoy it!!!! :D

DPris

Buckeye
No collector value, with that re-finish.
Color may be your camera, but looks purple. (Some Rugers did turn purple here & there over the years.)
The frame engraving at the bottom rear where it overlaps is not attractive.

Not being insulting about a family heirloom, just answering the what's it worth question and saying the engraving & finish don't add any real value, so it's a shooter & as such worth a few hundred.

No reason not to shoot the bejabbers out of it, you won't be hurting its re-sale.
Denis

Glockdude1

Bearcat
Hunter,

The frame does have a slight purple color to it. I am going to break it down, clean it up real nice, and post new pics of it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That's a unique old SBH.

Definitely not retrofitted with transfer bar, the retro SBH hammers do not have a wide spur.

I'd spend $130 for a Ruger re-blue, that gun deserves it and it'll come back looking better than brand new. Especially with the engraving!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I agree that is a very nice looking gun. The engraving is very tasteful and a new finish would make it gorgeous. I know Ruger used to have an engraving shop and you could order guns engraved to various levels but if the guys here say it isn't original I would trust them although a letter from Ruger would be definite. :D