mr. bisley is going back...picture added...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
... i got a sbh bisley .454 about a month ago, and it has a barrel that collects copper like a meth head. the bore is pitted and rough. all my other rugers look like glass, by comparison. they clean up in minutes. not mr. bisley. he holds his copper like no other barrel i've ever seen. nice lady at ruger issued an rma, and it goes back monday. stay tuned...

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
they issued a call tag pronto. it's gone, 2nd day air, to New Hampshire (where the craftsmen are, i suspect). i documented nothing. i trust them. stupid? maybe. it has a serial number on it. i compared that barrel to another new stainless ruger i have (a gp100), and there is no comparison. i really don't know how that bisley got out the door. the bore of my gp looks nicer than my shilen... seriously. too bad it's three inches long. :)

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
whelp, it's back, and to say i'm disappointed is an understatement of the most gross kind. the front sight is not even close to centered. i'll check the bore tonight, but that front sight is embarrassing. the blade is lined up with the rear sight, but the base is way off to the left. everyone who has looked at it so far notices immediately. it may go back again. if the bore looks REALLY nice, i may let it slide... ugh.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
i inspected their "handiwork" last night. the bore is better, but not good. rough. it catches a patch pushed through it. there was some copper in the bore from proof testing. all five chambers had been fired. it needs to go back, but i get the feeling it's the best they can do at this point. i am disappointed. i realize it's not a custom revolver, but i expected better. i know ruger can make a very good barrel- i have a few.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
mr. bisley is on his way back to the mothership again, per advice from many friends, family, and so on. again, a very nice lady took my call, and i diplomatically stated that the gun is "not up to ruger's standards". stay tuned for yet more news and information regarding this tragic situation.

Enigma

Hunter
One member had to get Ruger's CEO involved in order to get his 5-shot Bisley (can't remember if it was a .454 or .480). Hope you have better luck!

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Enigma said:
One member had to get Ruger's CEO involved in order to get his 5-shot Bisley (can't remember if it was a .454 or .480). Hope you have better luck!

That fellow got tired of sending it back (It was a 480) after the third or fourth trip and asked for a Redhawk instead. The Redhawk he received had an issue too!

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
71shooter said:
Enigma said:

That fellow got tired of sending it back (It was a 480) after the third or fourth trip and asked for a Redhawk instead. The Redhawk he received had an issue too!
not particularly confidence inspiring- i did shoot an email to the ceo. seemed like it might be a good idea.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
I have now officially gave up. My last 4 had to go back. Guess I should be happy because they were fixed to my liking.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
i got a call today from the technician working on my bisley. he spoke with the veep, and the veep said (according to the tech) that their hammer forging process results in rougher barrels as the caliber gets larger. i wondered if maybe this was the case, as my ruger barrels definitely follow that pattern. at any rate, he hand selected the best barrel he could find, and went through the whole thing, took it to the range, and put 15 rounds through it. he said it is a very nice shooter. he was very apologetic, and even admitted to being the one who let the misaligned front sight slip through. they're beaming it back to me tomorrow morning.

Rclark

Hunter
So SW makes nice single actions now? Haven't heard that one yet. I keep seeing those 'ugly' lookin' DAs they have though :) . Hah!

Hope this time all is ok when you get it. I must say all my Rugers have never had a 'to rough a bore' problem for shooting lead... But have seen constrictions which I've removed with firelapping.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
theoretically it's on it's way home. if it is not up to "their" standards, i may just get a freedom arms .454. a lot of dough, but a very nice gun, from what i hear. i did consider a sw, but that bisley was EXACTLY what i was looking for. a normal sized sa revolver with hella power. prolly get it back next week (traveling across the country).

vhntr1

Bearcat
If all is good with it when you receive it back ,you will love it. I have had mine about 9 months around 600 rd through it love the gun I also have a fa 454 ,I like the 6 1/2 in barrel on the ruger.
Enjoy

Onty

Single-Sixer
cleardatum said:
theoretically it's on it's way home. if it is not up to "their" standards, i may just get a freedom arms .454. a lot of dough, but a very nice gun, from what i hear. i did consider a sw, but that bisley was EXACTLY what i was looking for. a normal sized sa revolver with hella power. prolly get it back next week (traveling across the country).
Regardless, you might consider firelaping, see http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/59 . Not just because of the barrel condition/finish, but also because of inevitable barrel constriction in the threaded area.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
mr. bisley has returned. the barrel is much better. perfect? no, not even close, but much better. overall, everything looks good. the cylinder gap opened up to .004. a LOT of oil in it, mixed with rouge, it looks like. he's going to the range this weekend, and then get stripped down for a thorough cleaning ( taking that thing apart is a chore- lots of loctite and lock screws). i suspect they've only got one guy doing all the single action revolver work. not much demand these days...