LeHigh xTreme Cavitator 50 gr bullet in .327 Federal Mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Has anyone played around with this new bullet? What kind of velocities are you seeing? I found this pic in a comments section somewhere but there was no load info associated with it.

IMG_0955a_zpsqctms3eh.jpg

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...eme-cavitator-50gr-bullet?variant=13336852996

Their .32 ACP ammo (from Underwood) gets astonishing ballistic results. I wonder how well the bullet would work at close to 2000 fps out of my SP101 4.2 inch.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-underwood-make-32-acp-great/#comment-2823636

And what the intended purpose might be ..... woods defense perhaps? Would it be better than a Buffalo Bore 130 gr hard cast?

I do think it is amazingly cool looking, but I don't think cool ever stopped a charging predator of any size.

Thanks.

EDIT: I emailed LeHigh and was told that they have not tried this bullet in a .327 loading.

John Davies
Spokane WA

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have no experience with this one at all but would buy some to try in 32Mag or 327. It might work better for 32Long where the velocity range is closer to the 32ACP. If it is constructed for the slower cartridges, it may perform poorly or erraticly at much faster velocities. I have loaded 60gr. Gold Dots made for the 32ACP but they were not impressive.

As far as the "best bullet" for woods packing, I would lean to the heavy cast bullets. Deep penetration on critters that might want to stomp you or eat you is your best bet (and of course being able to shoot well enough to hit vital areas) :roll:

I may have to give these a look... 32's are interesting to load for.

After looking into the link it says velocity up to 4,200fps!! Maybe 2k in a 327 will work. I would love to see what one of these going that fast would do to water jugs...

32Magfan

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
32magfan said:
I have no experience with this one at all but would buy some to try in 32Mag or 327.

32Magfan
Please post any results, with pictures or video of eviscerated milk jugs or melons... I would order a box, but my reloading gear is in storage while a new house is being built.

If you think it looks promising I will order some to play with over the winter.

The only reason I mentioned using this for animals is that it does have good, consistent penetration as well as makes an extreme cavity, I just don't know how extreme it would be at twice the fps of the .32ACP ammo.... It should shoot pretty darned flat.

John Davies
Spokane WA

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Ballistic gel is good to compare bullets but a new design and new effect mechanism needs to drop some 300 pound hogs. Then we'll talk about jello.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Bump, any updates now that some .327 Henry rifles are being delivered?

"Good for 4.2" .327 SP101
On top of True Blue my rounds were averaging 2233. The wound track in gel was really good from 1" - 8" and bloomed again a little at 16-18". They exited the 20" block but without enough energy to escape a rolled up blanket backer. Recoil was noticeably milder than 100 gr 1500fps Gold Dot factory ammo. Oh and the permanent entry holes in the gel were the biggest I have seen."

https://www.lehighdefense.com/colle...eme-cavitator-50gr-bullet?variant=13336852996

John Davies
Spokane WA