Ruger Revolvers Most Accurate for You

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SAJohn

Hunter
I cannot remember this topic being much discussed here before, so here goes.

I was fortunate to be introduced to formal firearms shooting at the age of 12 by a then active duty Army Infantry Colonel with WWII front line experience. The teaching was done at the Rod and Gun Club at Fort Ord. Both .22 ammunition and match grade .22 bolt action rifles and high standard pistols were provided free by the Army in those days.

The handgun part of the training was bullseye style standing on your own two feet and holding the gun with one hand.

To this day I shoot any type of handgun more accurately at 25 yards with one hand standing straight up than I do with the modern two handed grip.

Oddly, my best results occur when shooting Ruger Old Model Single Action revolvers rather than tuned semiautomatics. I suspect that this is so because of the balance of the Rugers and the trigger jobs I have done on them. The best balance feel too me is the 5.5 inch barrelled revolves but the best results almost always happen with the longer barrelled guns.

My best ever 5 shoot group was done with a 6.5" barrel old model .357 but day in and out my money is on my old model 7.5 " Super Blackhawk.

I am curious as to what works best for our other forum members.

hittman

Staff member
Security Six with a Tyler T Grip.

In fairness ...... that's also the first revolver I ever owned, beginning in about 1974 so ...... been at them a while.

I too am most accurate in a traditional bullseye stance with my 22/45, I think it has more to do with the fact that I really take my time and concentrate when shooting that way. Ironically, I don't particularly enjoy shooting that way or shooting that gun. My .22lr SP101 is by far my favorite gun to shoot with my Match Champion as my second choice. I like to shoot fairly rapidly in SA, from 7 yards at 3" or 8" Shoot N-C targets, that's when I have the most fun at the range.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
The Revolver I am most accurate with is my Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum. Although I am most accurate with all my Redhawk's. I could never hit the broad side of a barn with a Blackhawk, never could figure out why. With double action revolvers a can hit almost anything I aim at.

SamV

Buckeye
I only have 5 revolvers, three Smith and Wessons and two Rugers. For me, the six inch GP 100 is my easiest gun to shoot accurately. It makes me look better than I am. Interestingly I am terrible with my model 64 Smith. I can outshoot that with my LCR. I know it is me but it I am a little embarrassed when I take it out.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
These two brothers are extremely accurate: Security Six with 6" tube and Redhawk with 7.5" tube. Both in 357.

Both of them can, and do, outshoot me. Pic:

It's a continual pleasure to shoot them, and I'm one proud owner, indeed.....

Put

Single-Sixer
The most accurate pistol I have ever fired is my Ruger Old Army. 30 grains of the real black goes into one raged hole. What a hoot to shoot.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
My most accurate is a Ruger Redhawk 7.5"; but it does have a red dot scope so perhaps that is cheating.

Oddly, I have a .357 Security Six 4" that I shot beside my SP101 2.25" and I shot the SP101 much better.
I was actually surprised; but consistently better with the SP101. I do have the hogue grips on the SP; so it may have just been a matter of comfort, but it definitely "points" better for me.

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
For me it's a tie between a 7.5" scoped Redhawk in 44 mag or my Bisley Super Blackhawk in .480 with a straight partridge front blade. Either one of them is as good as a rifle out to about 75 yards on deer.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I like the accuracy of my two 7.5" Bisleys. I have one in 357 mag and one in 44 mag. I have a 2X scope mounted on the 357 now. I use the 'Isosceles' stance with my left foot slightly ahead of the other one. I think this was 25 yards. Pretty good for me off-hand. :D

MaxP

Buckeye
I have several that are exceptionally accurate. My .454 SRH would regularly (as long as I was doing my part) shoot five-shot 1 3/4-inch groups at 100 yards with a red dot attached.

IMG_1767.jpg

My .454 SBH is very accurate as well. This was shot at 50 yards as was the target below it.

Garrett%20405%2050%20yards.jpg

.45%20Colt%20Target%2050y_2.jpg

My .480 SBH is a monster as well. This was shot at 50 yards. I've shot better groups with it I just can't locate them right now.

BB%20370%20LT%2050%20yrds.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
As I own quite a few Rugers,,, I can not even begin to post about the accuracy of any single one. Many of mine are fully more accurate than what I can do with them. My list would be quite long, so I'll just say I have several that will outshoot me & many other folks.

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
Ruger Revolvers Most Accurate for You

I wouldn't know... can't hit the ground if I fell out of a tree with any of my handguns.

Just the worse handgun shot that I know of... hopeless.

But I have thirteen Ruger handguns... pistols and revolvers. Love 'em all.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
All my pistols shoot well and I shoot them well. Just takes practice. Probably best with my Les Baer custom 45 or Dan Wesson DAs

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Best shooting, believe it or not is a 6.5 inch Smith & Wesson 500. Shooting 275 grain cast, I was able to shoot 1 1/2 inches at 130 yards on 5 shots.

A14jd

Bearcat
My first handgun was a Ruger Single six with the extra mag cylinder. I thought I knew how to shoot until I got that one. That one was a college graduation present. Growing up I shot and shot pretty well my Grandads 32 S&W long. So it was rather a shock when I couldn't hit anything with that Ruger. I had to learn to shoot it.

After that I used a 6" Stainless Security Six that was very accurate. My son discovered that one and it now resides with him. Over the years I have had many very accurate handguns and others I never bothered to put on paper to find out.

One of the worst was a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt. It would shoot lead great, but Jacketed was a "patterned" making pistol.

AJD

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I own several very accurate handguns but the one that is easiest for me to shoot accuratly is my Single Seven 7 1/2" .327 Fed mag. It amzes me every time I shoot it.