Nickel Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tip

Single-Sixer
I'm sure this has been covered before, as this thread from last November shows:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=230672&hilit=nickel+single+six

Does anyone have anything to add on this type of aftermarket work?
The grips are "pointer pup" type, and I'm sure are non-original. I'm just curious about this old .22.
Thanks

14sjmkh.jpg

Features SS Ejector Rod & Steel ERH

1pdkpc.jpg

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
I have had several pair of those grips great western grips think i still have a set here somewhere that,, red 3 or somethings the old frame.
That is a nice revolver for sure there. :D

Tip

Single-Sixer
JOHNNY WACKO said:
Didn't Audy Murphy own them??

I love that..... :D

Yes, he sure did.
I'm always on the hunt for more.

11qrfpe.jpg

But, I digress...
Here's a detail shot of the Single Six in question:
bg6vwo.jpg

Sharp Roll Stamps
Polished Aluminum Grip Frame

25pu5mq.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bill,

Your Single Six is 1958 production. Except for nine chrome plated with blue grip frame from 1955 in the 15,000 serial range, there are no other known factory plated .22s.

Yours was nickel plated by a former owner. The grip frame is alum alloy and has had the blue finish polished off and that's why it doesn't match.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Yes, Jim. Thank you for reiterating the important points. I do appreciate hearing from members with years of knowledge, sir.
Aesthetically, I like it. Price-wise, it's way high at $799.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
WOW! You're right, way too high. You could get an old beater for $200-250 and have it nickeled for another $150!

That's true enough, Jim!

I find it interesting, though, to have read in the linked thread (in my initial post, above) that the first OP cited a nickel'd Single Six made in 1957 -one year earlier than this one. Makes me suspect this is a contemporary plating job, as that was in vogue at the time.

Ruger45

Blackhawk
Around 799 seems to be what people are asking for custom single sixes. A new model Stainless Steel here local that has been polished, the guy is asking 850 for. Been sitting 3 weeks now makes me think it might be over priced. But that old nickel one I might think twice about around 600.

bogus bill

Hunter
The one I had looked flawless. The stags looked first rate and were well fitted and had the ruger medallion. The hammer was smooth otherwise the gun looked factory. Of course I should have kept it. In those days I was trading hot and heavy. I probably sold it at a gun show. I saw at a gun show a Ruger with I think 3 barrels, 3 or 4 cylinders and barrel blocks so the barrels could be changed easily. Wasn't much money either at the time. I bought the first .41 mag when they came out that I could find. Also a .45 colt/ .45 acp short barrel. Had a Hawkeye too. I have a .32 Single six, a about 1958 Single six and a Lipsey special .44 special. Many years ago had a .357 that I had converted to .44 special.
My first ruger was a convertible single six I bought in 1961.