Vaquero and Billboard qustion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rockledr

Bearcat
Hondo44 said:
Sorry Greg!

When you said this, it lead me to believe you didn't know that it in fact did happen:

rockledr said:
It was in this article that stated Ruger was bringing back the 44 magnum Vaquero and the birds head was the first. MAYBE SOMEONE KNOWS IF THAT IS IN FACT HAPPENING...
Greg

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/1/26/ruger-resurrects-the-44-mag-vaquero-revolver/

Also you originally said "Vaqueros" instead of "New Vaqueros" here:

rockledr said:
I didn't know they were issued that late. It would be nice to know how many were out there. I have a pair of the Talo special large frame VAQUERO bids head and they have a serial of 59-003xx.
They are also consecutive. I reason that what is good for one hand is good for both.

Greg

So I initially said that 59 prefix 'Vaqueros' are late issue. But the 59 prefix 44 Mag 'New Vaqueros' (I agree) are in a state of early issue (recently issued early 2016) for them.

Wow!! I really screwed that up. I am the one who owes an apology to you. So sorry for the confusion brain and hands were not talking I guess. Thanks for not getting upset with me. I will proofread better next time.

Again sorry for the confusion.

Greg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Greg,

No worries!

Yes, a 4 5/8 with the SBH Hunter grip would be outstanding.

Or 5 1/2" w/SBH Hunter grip and Hunter 5"" ejector housing for those long 44 mag cases.

I had to make my own a few years ago and make it a free spin cyl since it's not a New Vaquero:

medium800.jpg

rockledr

Bearcat
I like that one, beautiful. I have a 71/2 inch one I did the frees pin on. I am torn on whether I like it like that. I guess I miss the clicks and it spins too easy. I might have to drill it and put in the new vaqueros index pawl system.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Initially I intended to do that. It's easier to load at the click.

But then it occurred to me; there's other advantages of the free spin pawl. Especially when one reloads.

In these cases, it's much less trouble than pulling the cyl out:

1. If a bullet pulls on recoil and won't go into battery or won't even get passed the right side bottom of the frame window, just back up the cyl and remove it.

2. If you have a high primer and it won't enter the headspaced portion at the top of the recoil shield, just back it up.

3. If a primer bulges, gets pierced, etc.

Just FYI.

rockledr

Bearcat
I like the benefits of it. I have only been reloading for 20 years, a drop in the bucket for some of the people on here. Luckily I have had good luck and haven't had any of those problems. When I first started a "friend" gave me some 44 mags he had loaded. I fired six out of my 10 1/2 super, I had to remove the cylinder and pound them out with a dowel and hammer. Since then I only use my reloads. I am sure my day is coming when I will need the free spin.

Greg

rockledr

Bearcat
Jim,

I wasn't trying to be a smart @!@, I have been lucky with my reloading. It is low production, I am still using a single stage RCBS press. I always double check when I do it. I have seen what happens when someone gets distracted. I watch a guy blow up a cylinder and part of the top strap on a 44magnum Vaquero. He had double charged the case. So watching that I am extra careful, but I know my luck will run out and I'll have one of the above happen and wish I had a free spin.

Greg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No, I understand. I'm serious, I'd even shoot your reloads. I'm very careful too, but have to admit, I've pulled a few bullets under recoil, always try to use a minimum crimp to prolong case life. And had a few squibs. Only after I got a progressive loader. Single stage is the safest.