SP101 "125 Grain Bullet" Manual, which one is it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joseywales

Bearcat
I have listed a Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt for sale. I have the box, but always keep the manuals separate. I like to sell things complete, so once sold I want to be able to provide the manual. So I dig in my files. Well, I found the Redhawk manual, but also found two SP101 manuals. I've only ever bought one SP101, so that confused me.

In 1991 I bought the SP101 357, stamped "125 Grain Bullet". I have the original box and even the dealer receipt. What I'm not sure of is, which SP101 manual goes with this gun. I'm pondering the sale of this SP101.

The Manuals are similar, though one is a tad longer and came in an envelope. That one is revision 3 and the other is revision 6. The 6 does dedicate half a page to the 125 Grain Bullet verbiage. So, my first thought is, well that's the one. However, I'm wondering. With a serial number of 570-64XXX, was mine early that I received the SP101 38 Special manual with the gun, then they later sent me the correct manual? I was an FFL dealer at the time, so they would have had my address, etc. I sort of doubt that happened, but just can't figure where the other SP101 manual came from.

BTW, both manuals have the image of the SP101 and if you look closely, the barrels on that image are both stamped 38 Special.

Terry T

Buckeye
My SP101 manual designated 'KW/9-90 , R3' speaks to the .357 magnum 125 gr. under the heading 'Ammunition' on page 4.

I'm thinking this is the correct manual since it does not mention any other .357 mag. ammo and indicated that if the gun is designated for .357 mag., it HAS to use the 125 gr. bullet.

As you might be able to tell from the above, the manual ID includes the month and year plus the revision within that year. What is the full manual ID on your two manuals?
Hope this helps,
Terry T

Joseywales

Bearcat
Ah! I lied. The 125 Grain verbiage is in both manuals. The older manual, as you said, it's on page 4. On the newer manual it's on page 5.

I did not catch the date codes. I was looking for dates, but didn't realize those were codes. So I have:

KW/6-94
KW/9-90

Obviously it would be the 90, which is the one in the envelope.

Thanks for help!

Joseywales

Bearcat
These models were Ruger testing the waters. The SP101 was 38 Special. However, the gun could handle 357, but the frame and cylinder were built for 38s. So, the cylinder was a bit short for 357 cartridges over 125 grain. Ruger simply marked the 38 SP101 as 125 models to test the market. Well, they sold a boat load, so they spent the money to retool for the slightly larger fram and the molds for the cylinder. I believe between 1,500-3,000 of these 125 revolvers were made.

There's debate over whether the 125 stamped revolvers are worth more or less than the SP101 357s. A recent auction on GB says more ; )