should i do this?, need money

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i am on a fixed income, just borrowed to get an old car so i can't go back to the bank. my problem and question is this, i have floors in my home falling through and i have to fix them and a guy has offered me a deal. he wants to trade me a double tap 9mm derringer and $100 for my ruger 9mm lcr, or he will give me 2 cobra 9mm derringers and $100 for the lcr. from what i can figure $100 will almost get what i need and maybe i'll have enough next month from my check to cover the rest. i have already asked family and friends and all say they don't have anything to spare right now. so if i put back from my check it will be at least november before i will have it and it needs fixed now, would ya'll wait and save and keep the ruger?, trade to the double tap?, trade to cobra's?. thanks for any help.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Seem more concerned about the gun that the floor. Kinda mixed up priorities!

Myself...wouldn't take the gift of the Cobras. The Double Tap...Pass!

Since floors should be a BIGGER priority over the gun, I'd be looking at simple selling the LCR and getting a bigger jump on the floor $ than just $100.

Terry T

Buckeye
The Ruger LCR is about a $450 gun, plus or minus.
The Double tap is more like $250.
So...he's offering about $350 for a $450 gun. He needs to up the offer to more like $150 - $200 plus the double tap.
I assume selling the Ruger will leave you without a gun of some sort?
Tough spot to be in. At least you have the gun to sell.
Terry T

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Terry T said:
So...he's offering about $350 for a $450 gun. He needs to up the offer to more like $150 - $200 plus the double tap.
Terry T

yes the ruger is my only gun, but things have worked out and i can keep my lcr. a couple of very nice people helped me out so i could keep my gun, i hope someday to repay them somehow. thanks.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I would not take either of those deals. If you can, visit a couple of shops and explain to them what's up. See if one wpuld be willing to buy your gun for some sort of functional firearm (probably a used shotgun or .22 rifle) and some cash. I think something like a used Mossberg 500 or Marlin .22 rifle and $150-200.00 would be fair. All of them around here are well stocked with old shotguns and .22's that just sit there collecting dust.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I think your priorities were just right!

It's a moot point now thanks to some good hearted people, but I'd have kept the LCR and propped the floors with tree trunks if I had to to keep my gun!

diyj98

Single-Sixer
boomer92266 said:
Terry T said:
Terry T

yes the ruger is my only gun, but things have worked out and i can keep my lcr. a couple of very nice people helped me out so i could keep my gun, i hope someday to repay them somehow. thanks.
I'd sell the Ruger and any other gun I had to repay the folks for the floor work. To me that would be more important than any guns

contender

Ruger Guru
While I'm a little late to this, I'd like to comment.
First, the "deal" is NOT a deal. Pass on any trade where you get a lower quality firearm. I say this, as you mentioned the LCR is your only firearm. And I assume it is your home self defense firearm. Personal protection is also a serious concern.
What good is a new floor if you are attacked & hurt or killed?
So, here is a bit of advice in situations like this. Go to your church. Talk to your pastor to see if the church has a program to help those in need to do some repairs upon your home. Offer to pay the costs back into the same program as you can. Many churches have a "Helping Hands" group of volunteers to do such projects, and when the person they help is willing to pay for things as they can, they try hard to help. And if your church doesn't have such a group, I'm sure your pastor may know of other assistance that can help.

s4s4u

Hunter
I'd sell the Ruger and any other gun I had to repay the folks for the floor work. To me that would be more important than any guns

Maybe works for you, but for some of us being without a gun for personal protection is tabu. I'm with Hondo, find some way to prop up the floor even if it means hewing your own timber ;-)

diyj98

Single-Sixer
s4s4u said:

Maybe works for you, but for some of us being without a gun for personal protection is tabu. I'm with Hondo, find some way to prop up the floor even if it means hewing your own timber ;-)

Propping up the floor would have been an option, but it sounds like the floor was repaired by others at their expense. To me paying your debts and way through life come before any luxuries.

s4s4u

Hunter
diyj98 said:
s4s4u said:

Propping up the floor would have been an option, but it sounds like the floor was repaired by others at their expense. To me paying your debts and way through life come before any luxuries.

I don't consider one gun a luxury, rather a necessity.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Either way, I put but debt to others and standing in my own two feet above pretty much all else.

s4s4u

Hunter
I am a carpenter and if I helped someone as has just been explained and all they had to compensate me for my actions was their one and only gun I would tell them to keep it and pay me when they could afford it. If I were to accept that gun and later that person were killed by a criminal, I would find that impossible to live with. A luxury ones only manner if defense is not.

Joe S.

Hunter
I agree with Hondo and s4s4u. I consider a gun a necessity and would hate to see someone get rid of their only one to pay me for something i did to help them out. Especially if going into it I knew they were unable to pay at the moment.

Standing on your own two feet is important, but I think with the exception of a few, most all of us have taken assistance in some form or another. Be it monetary, labor, or both.

Sometimes you just need a hand to help you back up.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
[/quote]

i will be repairing my floors, i didn't have the money to do it with and some very nice people let me have some money to get the stuff that i needed. i'm not in the best of health but can do the work a little along till it's done. the plywood, screws and 2x4's i couldn't afford. the ruger is my only gun and i know those other guns aren't as good but they are a gun and i didn't want to be without anything for protection. i will repay the people that helped me as i don't go around asking people to feel sorry for me. i only posted why i had to trade to let ya'll know, why i would trade such a good gun to only fair one's. thanks